PDA

View Full Version : Thursday/Friday shopping

Teddyrose54
10th July 2009, 08:38 PM
Why do most people do their weekly shopping on a Thursday or Friday?

Is it some sort of tradition?

Is it coz it's pay day?

Coz Tesco was jam packed today, and I wait ages~:mad:

knitandpurl
10th July 2009, 08:47 PM
I reckon it must be because of payday, also you eat more at the weekend what with the kids not at school and most people not working

earthangel
10th July 2009, 09:24 PM
I didn't have to wait in Tesco yesterday. Mind you, I did go to Asda.

ejean9
10th July 2009, 09:27 PM

Rofl..i must try that to avoid the queue in Tesco

Teddyrose54
10th July 2009, 09:30 PM

Naughty but nice~:p

bykimbo
10th July 2009, 09:31 PM
Traditionally the biggest family meal of the week is on Sunday, and the shops were closed then, so people would have done their "big shop" as nearly to that as possible to get everything fresh, I'd assume. As more people are working Monday to Friday, that concentrated everything into Friday after work, and Saturday morning, to leave as much of the weekend free as possible.

Since I don't do a weekly shop, it's not my fault. :)

Teddyrose54
10th July 2009, 09:33 PM
I don't do a weekly shop either.

And since I stopped, I've saved over £20 a week in shopping.

mainlypostcards
10th July 2009, 09:39 PM
I don't do a weekly shop either.

And since I stopped, I've saved over £20 a week in shopping.

That's so true.
I stopped weekly shopping about 7 or 8 years ago, when my youngest went to secondary school. The schoolrun used to take me past Tesco and I started shopping 3 times a week, mon, wed, fri. It saved me then around £20 a week, because there were no more overripe bananas, out of date ham, etc etc.; in other words I drastically reduced any food waste.

Nowadays I shop daily, Monday to Friday, as I walk past the supermarket in town on my way to the post office. Needless to say though, that I get considerably more on a Friday then other days of the week, so it will take longer to get through the checkout!

Teddyrose54
10th July 2009, 09:42 PM
I hurt my back and the doctor told me that since people started big weekly shopping trips, back problems had gone thro the roof.

I go out for fresh bread and milk everyday, so I just buy what I need now.

We don't waste as much either.

leadhillsonline
10th July 2009, 09:49 PM
Our nearest big supermarket is over 30 miles away so we shop every 2 to 3 weeks. We tend to go early in the week to avoid the large queues.

moonwitch
11th July 2009, 01:06 AM
I do most of my grocery shopping on-line and when I nip into town I also grab any groceries I need day to day while I'm out.

I haven't queued at a checkout for ages as I choose the quiet times to shop in town

CornishDave
11th July 2009, 07:01 AM
I live in a village on the out skirts of Penzance, and Tesco at this time of the year is always very busy with holiday visitors buying food and drink for BBQ's, camping and Holiday flats, I get around this by shopping on-line for my main shopping and have a choice of either Tesco or Asda as they both do delivery services, so I do not have the problem of queueing at checkouts very often.

Eileen6

astral276
11th July 2009, 09:29 AM
Probably a lot of people like me who still have not adopted the idea that you can shop at weekends after the shops being closed from mid-day Saturday until Monday for the best part of my life. So more of an imprinted tradition to stock up on the Friday after being paid. Plus, once it is out of the way your weekends are clear for other things.

We don't even get the half-day-closing on Wednesdays any more.

I think they only used to open Saturday mornings here as that is market day in this town. Hence the stores closed on Wednesday afternoons to compensate the workers. Happier days for shop workers.

JudesNiceThings
11th July 2009, 10:36 AM
Used to be Friday/Saturday because weekly-paid got paid Friday afternoon, and the shops were closed from 5.50 pm Saturday until Monday morning.

Also used to involve bus journeys as fewer cars, so people used to make one trip.

Now I usually shop 4 or 5 times a week, as I have a car and the supermarket is open 24 hrs a day, and the stuff is always available.

When rationing was in force, we always shopped in the morning for things like meat and fish and bread, because there was likely to be nothing good left in the afternoon.

11thEagle
11th July 2009, 10:45 AM
We shop on a Tuesday now to avoid the queues and if i'm working a late then I'm in Tesco's before 8 in the morning so that i can fly around without having to dodge families/ old people