PDA

View Full Version : Is this gold real or fake?

AbbyJ
27th October 2011, 06:09 PM
I bought this bracelet on 'the other' auction site, It was listed as brand new in box from Ernest Jones the jewellers, 9ct gold. I have other jewellery from Ernest Jones and it's all high quality, so i was expecting this bracelet to be the same, however when it arrived i was really dissapointed. It's really light, only weighs 1g, and is really yellow, it doesn't look or feel like real gold at all. it does look brand new, and came in a brand new Ernest Jones case, it's hallmarked on one link but even the hallmarks don't look right. is there an expert here who can tell me if it looks like a fake?
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/abijones_2006/016-11.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/abijones_2006/015-12.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/abijones_2006/016-11.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/abijones_2006/033.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/abijones_2006/038-1.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/abijones_2006/061.jpg

Pink_Panther
27th October 2011, 06:36 PM
I'd open a dispute for not as described.

You are your own 'expert' you know what a real item should look like.
Anyway it doesn't matter if it's fake or not if you are unhappy with your purchase.
The seller is obliged to accept returns and refund payment. That's IMHO.

suesjools
27th October 2011, 06:48 PM
The only way to know for sure is to have the item tested for gold content by a jeweler, as markings can be faked as well as brand names, though 373 is the European marking for 9 kt. gold.

Short of this, unless you have a gold tester kit yourself and know how to use it, there's not really any way to tell whether or not the item is genuine, not that I'm aware of anyhow, sorry.

Oh and welcome to eBid. :)

Best wishes for many sales to all,

luvintage
27th October 2011, 07:14 PM
Have you tried contacting Ernest Jones to see if this is one of their pieces?

I once had to contact Tiffanys to see if a brooch that had their name on it was really theirs. Also, I know that you can take a name brand purse into their(the manufacturer's) retail store for identification and they will tell you if it is fake or not. (I've done that too!).

A man who deals in gold once told me that 8k and 9k gold are used in tooth fillings. Whether that is true or not, I really don't know. I would think that a high end, high quality store would use the better grades of gold.-I admit I probably don't know what I'm talking about here but it's just a thought.

You may be able to find a website for Ernest Jones and they may be able to either identify the piece for you or at least tell you if they use 9k gold. In this tough economy, in order to keep jewelry affordable, they may do that.

At any rate, I think Pink Panther is absolutely right if you are not pleased with it, I'd seek a refund.

Just a new thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

suesjools
27th October 2011, 08:01 PM
Have you tried contacting Ernest Jones to see if this is one of their pieces?

I once had to contact Tiffanys to see if a brooch that had their name on it was really theirs. Also, I know that you can take a name brand purse into their(the manufacturer's) retail store for identification and they will tell you if it is fake or not. (I've done that too!).

A man who deals in gold once told me that 8k and 9k gold are used in tooth fillings. Whether that is true or not, I really don't know. I would think that a high end, high quality store would use the better grades of gold.-I admit I probably don't know what I'm talking about here but it's just a thought.

You may be able to find a website for Ernest Jones and they may be able to either identify the piece for you or at least tell you if they use 9k gold. In this tough economy, in order to keep jewelry affordable, they may do that.

At any rate, I think Pink Panther is absolutely right if you are not pleased with it, I'd seek a refund.

Just a new thoughts. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Good point re: contacting the manufacturer, I hadn't thought of that. :)

AbbyJ
27th October 2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your replies.yes I had thought of taking it in to Ernest Jones to verify it but was a bit concerned about what they might do if it is fake, mightn't they seize it? not sure how these things work. It really, really doesn't look or feel like real gold, and the seller specified that returns are not accepted in the listing. I've messaged them to say I would like to return as not happy with the quality of it but haven't heard back yet.

luvintage
27th October 2011, 09:41 PM
You may want to examine your options, on the other site, as they do have recourse for unsatisfactory sales.

It sounds like you've had enough experience with quality products to know the difference.

Best wishes with whatever course of action you decide upon.

Welcome to Ebid and I hope that you will free to shop this site also.

burgyeb
27th October 2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for your replies.yes I had thought of taking it in to Ernest Jones to verify it but was a bit concerned about what they might do if it is fake, mightn't they seize it? not sure how these things work. It really, really doesn't look or feel like real gold, and the seller specified that returns are not accepted in the listing. I've messaged them to say I would like to return as not happy with the quality of it but haven't heard back yet.

I took a Tiffany necklace right into a local shop. They graciously examined it, confirming it was not theirs; they also confirmed the box it came in was a fake. The necklace was sterling, with all the phoney credentials. They chuckled because their name was embossed on the necklace. They did not try to seize it; and also stated they have never gone into a dispute with online sites that are having sales of fakes in their name. I was really surprised. They even went so far as to offer me a catalog to compare their products in contrast to the phoney stuff. I was impressed. If I ever wanted a "real Tiffany" I would be sure to go directly to them. :)

TonyBridger
27th October 2011, 09:53 PM
Most towns have jewellers who will buy gold. Just take into one of them and they will certainly tell you if its gold.

If they offer to buy it from you, you can just refuse their offer and walk out.

burgyeb
27th October 2011, 09:56 PM
It could be real gold and still a fake. This was the case with the Tiffany necklace I took in. I ended up ripping off the hook with their name on it. It was useless as a Tiffany & only had melt silver value.

AbbyJ
27th October 2011, 10:01 PM
I really just want to prove one way or the other whether it is real gold, it really doesn't look it or feel like it to me, but as it's hallmarked i need to prove it to open an 'item not as described' case. I have had so many bad experiences with that site lately, I plan on trying this site from now on, hopefully things will be better here! I will take your advice and take the bracelet to a jewelers, i think that's the only way I'll know for sure.

HellsGrandma
27th October 2011, 10:04 PM
I really just want to prove one way or the other whether it is real gold, it really doesn't look it or feel like it to me, but as it's hallmarked i need to prove it to open an 'item not as described' case. I have had so many bad experiences with that site lately, I plan on trying this site from now on, hopefully things will be better here! I will take your advice and take the bracelet to a jewelers, i think that's the only way I'll know for sure.

If you have one of them cash for gold places near you pop in there with it they will tell you if its real gold or not .

luvintage
27th October 2011, 10:09 PM
Most towns have jewellers who will buy gold. Just take into one of them and they will certainly tell you if its gold.

If they offer to buy it from you, you can just refuse their offer and walk out.

Great idea!

Also, you can take it to a jeweler and tell them you want an insurance appraisal on the bracelet. They usually charge a nominal fee. The fee is not nearly as much as a detailed appraisal(as in a diamond ring).

Tony's idea seams easisest though.

Oldandintheway
27th October 2011, 10:17 PM
If it walk's like a duck 'n talk's like a duck - It's probably a duck!
You're senses about it are most likely correct.
The only way to know for sure is to get it tested.
One jump ring in the photo is a different colour. That makes me suspicious immediately!

luvintage
27th October 2011, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=AbbyJ;1387986 I plan on trying this site from now on, hopefully things will be better here! [/QUOTE]

I have learned so much from these forums. One thing that I learned is that before buying from ANY site, it is wise to contact the seller before actually buying the item.

Secondly, to always ask for an invoice before paying.

I believe that this is very good advice from the forums and it really is applicable to all of the different sites.

burgyeb
27th October 2011, 10:29 PM
Tiffany's had a very expensive formal appraisal fee, and the neclace would have had to be mailed. The shop manager did an informal "look at" and even showed me items to compare with. They even showed me "a real Tiffany" box. What a learning experience. They did not charge me 1 penny.

When looking at "the real thing" it was so obvious. I felt like I was looking at junk, even though it was sterling silver.

luvintage
27th October 2011, 11:54 PM
I had a different experience with Tiffany-not a bad one, just really different.

I was working for a well known Charity in their on-line sales division and the piece was donated. I contacted Tiffany via email and it took awhile to find a person who could help me.

But I found out that they keep older pieces when they can find them. I asked if the piece was theirs. They said that they could not confirm it. But, we had the best gold and diamond testers available at the time and I knew it was 18k and the many stones were genuine diamonds. The piece was c1950's.

I asked the person I was dealing with if they wanted to puchase the pin for their vault but she said no that wasn't their policy.

I listed the item, said it was marked but not confirmed. Emailed the listing number and link to the lady I was dealing with, just in case, and suddenly a "secret or private" bidder appeared on the scene. I emailed and asked the person if they were from the store. They said no, they were a third party buyer and they were buying it for someone else who did not want to be identified.

The pin brooch sold for almost $3,000.00. It was great for the charity and I always wondered about the "private" buyer.

My experience with the purse was much the same as yours with the Tiffany store. They were very helpful and pointed out the flaws in the purse and showed me some things to look for. The purse also belonged to the charity.

burgyeb
28th October 2011, 12:05 AM
Wow! a c 1950's piece............wonder if that "private bidder" headed strait for the Tiffany vaults, or their own vault.
I think they are a cool company!

The brooch was probably worth more than $3,000; but that was a nice donation amount.

luvintage
28th October 2011, 12:24 AM
It was sooooo cool Burgy!

It was a ballerina. It was fairly large and weighty. Back then-it's been about 10yrs- gold wasn't as costly as it is now.

I tested the thing so many times I thought I'd ruin the equipment because I just couldn't believe it was what it was! The man who told me about gold that I mentioned earlier saw it online and came to see it personally. (He didn't live very far away). I was happy when he said yes, that I was reading the tests correctly.

I always wondered two things-who was the buyer, really and did the person who donated it ever find out its worth. It was thrown into a bin at the collection door.

AbbyJ
28th October 2011, 07:42 AM
Wow that's a great story! And what a generous person to donate something so valuable! Well looks like my problems are over, heard back from the seller and they are happy to refund me on return so no need for testing after all. Thanks for all your help, looking forward to purchasing on this site now! :)

TonyBridger
28th October 2011, 08:42 AM
It could be real gold and still a fake. This was the case with the Tiffany necklace I took in. I ended up ripping off the hook with their name on it. It was useless as a Tiffany & only had melt silver value.

Ernest Jones is not a brand like Tiffany, it is just a high street jewellery who sells items made by other companies. So how can the bracelet be fake if its real gold.

AbbyJ
28th October 2011, 11:28 AM
No it's not a brand but they do sell quality jewellery, unlike shops that sell cheaper gold..also I'm doubtful that it is actually gold at all as it doesn't look or feel like it, the hallmarks could be fakes.

suesjools
28th October 2011, 01:21 PM
Wow that's a great story! And what a generous person to donate something so valuable! Well looks like my problems are over, heard back from the seller and they are happy to refund me on return so no need for testing after all. Thanks for all your help, looking forward to purchasing on this site now! :)

Super, glad everything worked out for you. :)

luvintage
28th October 2011, 01:29 PM
Great news, Abby. Look forward to seeing you around.

marovine
28th October 2011, 04:09 PM
9k gold is what it seems to be