PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me identify this piece of Middle Eastern metal ware?

RameRetro
15th July 2014, 05:27 PM
Hello all.

I recently acquired this heavy cast metal cup and saucer. It feels quite old and I think it might be bronze. It feels like it could be Middle Eastern in origin (Persia, Syria?). I don't think it is ornate enough to be Cairo Ware. I took it to my local auction house and they drew a blank on it.

If anyone with any knowledge of this kind of antique could give me some pointers, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

burgyeb
15th July 2014, 05:56 PM
Nice set......not familiar with this, but some forum member(s) may be. Interested in knowing more about the set.

RameRetro
16th July 2014, 04:15 PM
Nice set......not familiar with this, but some forum member(s) may be. Interested in knowing more about the set.

Unfortunately I know very little about it. All I can do is post some more pictures:

cheaver
16th July 2014, 04:39 PM

Hi, lovely pieces but to see them best on Forum the
pictures need to be reduced in size....

I used PicMonkey for these (free photo editor) ~ and resized them
to about 400....

RameRetro
16th July 2014, 05:17 PM
Thank you!

astral276
16th July 2014, 07:11 PM
Could it be the Holy Grail?

burgyeb
17th July 2014, 06:16 AM
LOL! :D Not according to Wiki.............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Grail

RameRetro
17th July 2014, 08:02 AM
You might be on to something! There is no definitive record of what The Holy Grail actually looks like is there?

(No, I cannot be serious!)

madelaine
28th July 2014, 05:20 PM
I assume that it isn't magnetic?

RameRetro
29th July 2014, 05:56 AM
I assume that it isn't magnetic?

You assume correctly!

madelaine
29th July 2014, 02:10 PM
Well, that means it definitely isn't iron ;)

RameRetro
29th July 2014, 04:05 PM
Well, that means it definitely isn't iron ;)

I'm pretty sure it's bronze.

The valuer at my local auction house didn't know what it was either so it could be difficult to shift. If it doesn't sell, I am happy for it to adorn my mantelpiece.

It would look better on yours though........

derbypub2565
9th September 2014, 10:37 PM
I think there is a piece missing, a stem of some sort, if you look under the saucer there is clearly burn marks, where you have sat the cup into the recess I think it should be a stem and the cup sits on the top of the stem, I don't think its for liquid.

I am no expert but take a really good look at the markings, they usually tell a lot.

Forget looking around for the cup and saucer, look for the design.

And for goodness sake delete the pics, my screen is nearly 3 times the size, lol

sidthelamp
9th September 2014, 10:53 PM
at a guess i would say the key is the handle to the tea cup at a glance it resembles Damascus ware, but the handle and design looks indian too me, the tea cup handle being colonial influence, just a guess, some thing to go on

derbypub2565
9th September 2014, 11:06 PM
Could be wrong though, maybe just maybe there should be a larger plate for the saucer to sit on.

derbypub2565
9th September 2014, 11:07 PM
at a guess i would say the key is the handle to the tea cup at a glance it resembles Damascus ware, but the handle and design looks indian too me, the tea cup handle being colonial influence, just a guess, some thing to go on

You could be onto something with the Indian route, tea ect

cambrensis
10th September 2014, 12:22 AM
You could be onto something with the Indian route, tea ect

Bear in mind that the area suggested originally (Syria etc) is in the "Fertile Crescent", a trade route for several thousand years. That trade route led to India and designs and ideas flowed across it. For example our everyday numerals (1.2.3.etc) which are referred to as Arabic numerals are of Indian origin; it's simply that we received them from the Arabs.

Would it be ok for me to ask a few Near and Middle Eastern friends if they can tell us anything? (Archaeologists etc.,so quite tame and civilised I assure you!) Could send them the pics...

sidthelamp
10th September 2014, 02:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it's bronze.

The valuer at my local auction house didn't know what it was either so it could be difficult to shift. If it doesn't sell, I am happy for it to adorn my mantelpiece.

It would look better on yours though........

there are collectors of indian brass ware this piece has been spun on a lathe you can see the " centre " point of the fixed point of the lathe under the foot. the wall of the cup is heavy again showing it was turned, probably late 19th early 20th century, the decoration is crude , red paint, if it was red enamel it would certainly be a older piece, i would not clean it up as the patina is part of its history, as i said earlier the handle gives it origin as english influenced a typical english tea cup copied in brass or similar alloy with a crude decoration,

cambrensis
10th September 2014, 10:37 PM
Could it be the Holy Grail?

More likely to do with Khayyam's "cup of wine"....:D

rokins_toys
10th September 2014, 11:25 PM
Have you considered taking it to a museum local to you? They may have the answers you are looking for or they may be able to point you to someone who can help identify the piece for you.

sidthelamp
10th September 2014, 11:43 PM
Have you considered taking it to a museum local to you? They may have the answers you are looking for or they may be able to point you to someone who can help identify the piece for you.

it has been identified to my satisfaction, so much so i bought it

RameRetro
11th September 2014, 04:37 PM

Thank you for your custom sir. Your whatever-it-is has been mailed to you today!

derbypub2565
11th September 2014, 07:39 PM

Well please don't keep us in limbo, what is it then

sidthelamp
11th September 2014, 08:22 PM
i think its pretty much what i have pasted below, im sure its indian, if it does turn out to be anything else il report back,

'there are collectors of indian brass ware this piece has been spun on a lathe you can see the " centre " point of the fixed point of the lathe under the foot. the wall of the cup is heavy again showing it was turned, probably late 19th early 20th century, the decoration is crude , red paint, if it was red enamel it would certainly be a older piece, i would not clean it up as the patina is part of its history, as i said earlier the handle gives it origin as english influenced a typical english tea cup copied in brass or similar alloy with a crude decoration,"

sidthelamp
11th September 2014, 08:23 PM
Thank you for your custom sir. Your whatever-it-is has been mailed to you today!

looking forward to receiving it , thanks

derbypub2565
13th September 2014, 06:12 PM
i think its pretty much what i have pasted below, im sure its indian, if it does turn out to be anything else il report back,

'there are collectors of indian brass ware this piece has been spun on a lathe you can see the " centre " point of the fixed point of the lathe under the foot. the wall of the cup is heavy again showing it was turned, probably late 19th early 20th century, the decoration is crude , red paint, if it was red enamel it would certainly be a older piece, i would not clean it up as the patina is part of its history, as i said earlier the handle gives it origin as english influenced a typical english tea cup copied in brass or similar alloy with a crude decoration,"

Thankyou.... Phew !!

derbypub2565
13th September 2014, 06:15 PM
http://www.imgspice.com/x1v23xksfnx7/pic1eidb.jpeg.html

Naughty Naughty