My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Rhubarb

1. JimmyCee
    Been growing these 4 rhubarb plants and this is coming into the 3rd year.
    I just pulled my first stalk, cleaned it, and ate it raw....what a delicious taste, a little tart but delicious never the less.
    Anyone here do Rhubarb ? I think I'll try to make some Rhubarb jam....maybe sell ok here on ebid
    JC
  2. Starchild2
    Starchild2
    Find a recipe for Strawberry-rhubarb pie.....make one, cut a slice and add a dollop of whipped cream on top.....YUM!
  3. dardonboi
    dardonboi
    I have a couple of Rhubarb cake recipes that are really good. I love strawberry-rhubarb jam. We have 2 plants and a freezer full of rhubarb.

Be careful not to eat the the leaves. Very toxic.
  4. JimmyCee
    My wife recently baked a rhubarb cake and was it ever delicious.
    I have lots of rhubarb in my freezer, now she knows I love it she wont make it any more, just go on to another recipe to try..LOL....
    Rhubarb should soon be sprouting up in the garden. I've dedicated to 1 raised bed just for 4 plants, used mushroom manure in the fall to cover the plants, next I'll put in some compost and that should do the trick.
    I had a messy garden for years and years 4 years ago I emptied everything out and made 4--- 1 x 4 x 10 raised beds and really enjoy gardening now. Everything is so easy to keep, soil easy to keep.
    WE live in the middle of town , have a terrible problem with deer, so I erected a wall around the entire garden.
    Wall's made of small trees I picked up in the woods, the planted wisteria, ivy, kiwi.
    By the way if anyone has ever wondered about kiwi, it is a beautiful plant, ( vine ) I highly recommend it.
    Sorry better go now or I'll write a book here.
    Jim
  5. JimmyCee
    March 12...Here they come...peeking their heads up through the dirt.
    This will be the third year for this batch and if they are as last years, will surely have lots to use next winter.
    Now to get mum to cook em
  6. JimmyCee
    June 2013
    I have 3 rhubarb plants that will see me through the upcoming years, picked them this year and crop was incredible.
    Next year I'm going to convert the soil the a SFG mix, split the heads and start over.
    The mix has proven itself to me this year, anyone is interested just do a search on Square Foot Gardening
    The best thing that happened to me in the world of gardening.
  7. JimmyCee
    OK 1 year later...

After the severe winter's snow melted off of the rhubarb, it's leaves are poking up through the ground.
    unbelievable that anything would even survive..
    I have 8 inches of planting mix, middle of March and 2 inches down it is frozen solid across the entire bed.
Follow Us
New To eBid?
Register for Free