Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Over half a million auctions at last!!!!

Default Re: Over half a million auctions at last!!!!

@Policequilts.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Your screen-shot is the same as I see (and have done for quite a long time). The empty box you're seeing is filled with an ad. on my screen.

Had a quick look at "Recent Sales" and apart from the usual mix of comics, post cards and stamps someone has sold some P20 Spray(??), a remote control and some film frames as five frames per item.

I've seen some of these five frame film clips before on the Sold Strip and wondered, are they collected? Do Techie people do clever stuff with them to produce longer scenes?? Or what else??
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Quote Originally Posted by Policequilts View Post
    @Mandart
    I had checked under Support and Updates and they have been busy.

When I go to my listings and look under the "Grade" for suggestions . . .
    It's either that I didn't put it items similar to what I am selling or
    that I have under 1,000 word description. Ughhh!

I don't really like adding a section similar to what I am selling, but I worked on a couple of my listings with adding items of mine that were similar and the grade of "G" went to "D".
    Hmmmm . . I guess it's more on having long descriptions to cover that 1,000 words.
    Need to think about it.
    Ridiculous! How do I use 1,000 words to describe a bar of soap!

Quote Originally Posted by pastime View Post
    Etsy is now becoming such an unreliable site to sell on I would expect more Etsy sellers to consider trying eBid both UK and USA.
    Etsy is refunding buyers for any item bought for over £250, if the buyer claims not received - even when tracking show delivered and signed for, a bot immediately refunds the buyer and they get to keep the item.
    It is impossible for sellers to sell in those circumstances. Plus they are endlessly interfering with every aspect of the site.
    Etsy sellers would find it a huge relief to sell on a site that doesn't keep their sales money in reserve (keeps 75%) until they are satisfied and allows bots to make decisions without fully checking details. They would also be very relieved to have Paypal make a decision on claims where buyers claim non-delivery but Tracking is showing delivery.
    Let's hope we begin to see more sellers from Etsy.
    I looked at etsy, as an alternative to obay about 10 years ago, decided against it and came to ebid instead. The reason being I couldn't work out what I would pay in fees on a £10 sale and looking at their Boards plenty of sellers seemed to have the same problem, with many querying what they'd been charged. It doesn't look like that's improved, someone posted recently on the obay board that they'd been shocked to find that after selling an item on etsy, the total fees came to about 30%.

I've bought a few things there over the years, but not so much these days. I find it so distracting that when I'm browsing vintage glass, every page has rows of something completely unrelated like diamond rings between each couple of rows of what I'm looking for. Presumably sponsored or featured listings? If I want to search etsy these days, I generally do it by using google shopping.

I've come to think of etsy as obay mark II, where they've learned from obays mistakes and set about fleecing sellers even more efficiently.

I'm pretty sure obay has also given itself the power to hold Reserves in "some circumstances", but hasn't started widespread implementation yet. But it's "softening-up" sellers though, by just "Holding" their payments much more frequently. New seller, returning seller, infrequent seller, re-verify your personal details / bank details, all result in Held payments. So does any sudden change in numbers or value of what you list. My guess is that this will be used as the excuse for introducing Reserves to cover what they will say are these "Increased risks".

I've been here for ten years waiting for more sellers of vintage glass to arrive from obay. IMO it's now almost useless as a selling site for many types of collectables, but when they gave up on obay, they went to etsy instead. It would be nice to think that when sellers get fed up with etsy's antics, they might give ebid a try. But I won't be holding my breath.
    Last edited by theElench; 20th June 2023 at 08:03 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View BigKidsAttic's Feedback (+3720)
    All-About BigKidsAttic
    View BigKidsAttic's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    I've seen some of these five frame film clips before on the Sold Strip and wondered, are they collected? Do Techie people do clever stuff with them to produce longer scenes?? Or what else??
    I think from what i've seen, most buyers (and i'm guessing it's most) of those film frames, turn them into pictures.
    They do this buy getting a postcard or picture of said film the frames are from, mounting them on a piece of cardboard with slots cut out for the frames, then mounting them in a picture frame.
    Another option (which I myself have considered at one point as i'm an ex projectionist) is to make a collage on a spare window.
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

View Policequilts's Feedback (+996)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

@Policequilts.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Your screen-shot is the same as I see (and have done for quite a long time). The empty box you're seeing is filled with an ad. on my screen.

Had a quick look at "Recent Sales" and apart from the usual mix of comics, post cards and stamps someone has sold some P20 Spray(??), a remote control and some film frames as five frames per item.

@theElench
    I noticed the change because when I come to eBid, I go to the home page first.
    I look at the Buddy Point Box (on the left side) to see how many USA seller/buyers are there and sometimes visit them.
    But when I saw the category is completely shown and the membership and buddy points went to the right, it was a surprise to me.

You can also see from that photo that the extended category cuts into the regular homepage pictures, instead of having spacing between them.

Just a thought : I have sold on TicTail and eCrater. They have their marketplace all uniform look and then the sellers could have a choice "free or paid" layout store

The sold items are searchable AS SOLD.
    I think they collect them of what the last 5-10 items that was sold.
    I have been surprised when I have seen my item on that SOLD list and checked the store - Sure enough, I just sold an item.

All-About Policequilts
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mandart View Post
    Ridiculous! How do I use 1,000 words to describe a bar of soap!
    Need to come up with a dirty story.

I have thought about coming up with a "boilerplate" paragraph that may pertain to a grouping of items.

Something like : These items are perfect to add to your meditation routine. so on and so on. ( I can't think right now.)
    The paragraph would be added at the end of : incense, meditation bowls and such.

I'm looking at something like that with some of the crafting items.

I made sure that any of my ratings were only A's and B's. I went back and added to the listings that were C's.
    Now, I can't believe I have E, F, G's.

Now both of my websites have been updated.
    What I noticed is that the majority of the G ratings is that the SEO has a new area on the Advance page. The info didn't transfer or you need to fill it in.

Will have to play with this tonight when I am done with work.

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've bought a few things there over the years, but not so much these days. I find it so distracting that when I'm browsing vintage glass, every page has rows of something completely unrelated like diamond rings between each couple of rows of what I'm looking for. Presumably sponsored or featured listings? If I want to search etsy these days, I generally do it by using google shopping.

Hi Elench,
    Every one moans about the poor search - Etsy are always fiddling with everything except the areas that should be improved. Using Google to search could well be just want Etsy wants: accepting being part of the 'offsite ads' ie: Google, if any item is clicked on and then bought within 30 days sellers are charged 12 or 15% fees for sale and postage costs (depending on their total yearly sales) as well as the standard 6.5% charged on the sale and postage costs on top - since sellers never know that this extra cost will be included that can, obviously lead to selling at a loss (and a nice little earner for Etsy).

I've been here for ten years waiting for more sellers of vintage glass to arrive from obay. IMO it's now almost useless as a selling site for many types of collectables, but when they gave up on obay, they went to etsy instead. It would be nice to think that when sellers get fed up with etsy's antics, they might give ebid a try. But I won't be holding my breath.
    I've a box of glass items not yet unpacked, which I do intend to list on eBid, the only thing putting me off is the postage (always a worry posting glass).
    Recently sold a Tango jug - double boxed with loads of packing material (which, thankfully arrived OK) but difficult to source more packaging (I no longer have a car).
    What materials do you find the most useful for postage and how do you acquire boxes? - I have a stash in the spare bedroom and garage, but very hard to find the right size when you need it and they take up a lot of room.

All-About Policequilts
    Forum Posts

@Pasttime
    In the USA, I would go down to Walmart and pick up boxes that they unpacked.
    They will also save them for you if you have a size type that you want. ( But you better pick them up in a timely manner - some people just forget about them)

We also get freebie flyers newspapers that I keep for wrapping items.

I know that some people have local businesses that will save items for sellers, or allow you to take their used shipping materials.

I had a friend down the road that order tons of things and would call me if I need any boxes or bubble wrap.

I don't know what they have in the UK, how close you are to stores or ? ?
    Hopefully some of the UK people can let you know.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10051)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Policequilts View Post
    Need to come up with a dirty story.

I have thought about coming up with a "boilerplate" paragraph that may pertain to a grouping of items.

Something like : These items are perfect to add to your meditation routine. so on and so on. ( I can't think right now.)
    The paragraph would be added at the end of : incense, meditation bowls and such.

I'm looking at something like that with some of the crafting items.

I made sure that any of my ratings were only A's and B's. I went back and added to the listings that were C's.
    Now, I can't believe I have E, F, G's.

Now both of my websites have been updated.
    What I noticed is that the majority of the G ratings is that the SEO has a new area on the Advance page. The info didn't transfer or you need to fill it in.

Will have to play with this tonight when I am done with work.
    Are the websites that you and Mandart are talking about your own websites? I can't make any of the talk about A, B , E, F, and G ratings match my experience in using eBid and I have been here since 2009.

All-About Policequilts
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Are the websites that you and Mandart are talking about your own websites? I can't make any of the talk about A, B , E, F, and G ratings match my experience in using eBid and I have been here since 2009.

Tony,
    Yes, we both have websites with the same site for our stand alone websites.

Thread Information