Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Over half a million auctions at last!!!!

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Over half a million auctions at last!!!!

Hi Elench,
    Thank you for the step-by-step resize. I went to the GMB yesterday and up popped my log in - when I checked when I had last log-in, it was 10 years ago!!
    I opened a question post re: my Pudding Bowl, but was fiddling with trying to resize without knowing what I was doing, so thank you for your help, I'll give another go today.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

What is the GMB please?

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    What is the GMB please?
    Hi Tony,
    It's 'Glass Message Board' and it is incredibly helpful, with a huge store of knowledge, from posters, that will answer any question on the subject of glass.

I haven't been on it for years, and at that time had a vase that looked like Scottish maker, but wasn't sure. Paid 'value my stuff' £15 for info which came back and said it was that Scottish glass - wasn't sure because I thought it just looked just a bit like it. Went on GMB, asked, within a very short time was told it was Caithness and provided with a copy of the vase I was asking about. I should have saved myself £15.

Have just posted photos of an odd sort of bowl, with an unreadable signature, and have been given the name of the company - which I'll check out before listing on here.
    So, if you have any glass - check it out before listing (although, they never give prices, but at least it helps with price research).
    Marie.

Fabulous news!

Got a call from the housing department here in Eastbourne.

My application for housing has been processed and they are looking for a place in a retirement home for me.
    “When life gives you a Monday, dip it in glitter and sparkle all day” – Ella Woodword

It is an incredibly helpful site and as I've found very accurate. Some of the regulars who I.D and advise are world class authors, website owners, museum curators and business-people who have been in the glass trade for many years. Others have been collecting for ages and have an encyclopedic knowledge of their area of interest.

If anyone's up for a challenge, I posted a thread on the "Collectables" board years ago (its still there) and included four pieces from my collection that even the GMB experts couldn't identify. Three are still un-identified, the blue "Powder Bowl" I eventually found in a 1938 catalogue of Ankerglas-Bernsdorf, a German company and is probably for sweets or candies. Sorry about the photo quality - I realised soon after that my hands weren't so shaky, my camera was coming to the end of its life and needed replacing.

I looked at your "Pudding Bowl" thread, it's a nice looking bowl and I didn't know that Turkey had an Art Glass manufacturer, they certainly have some skilled craftsmen.

Very sorry your that my "Step-by-Step" led to your photos being too small. I should have added that I've found it easier, when playing around with the pixel numbers, to start by changing the longest side to 650 and working downwards. i.e if 650 gives a result of 145KBs I Re-Do with pixels at 600. If that reduces the KBs to 115, I re-do again at 620. I start at 650 because quite often I've found that (with my camera) it re-sizes the photos to around 120 KBs which work well when uploaded.

A few other sites I've found helpful when trying to I.D (mainly inter-war / Depression glass / Art Deco glass and others might find useful:

Pressglas-Pavillon. (for German / Continental glass)
    Black Poppy. (mainly for Walther & Sohne)
    LustrousStone. (Uranium / Vaseline)
    Glass Float Bowl Man Blog Archive. (Bowls and figural flower frogs.)
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FalonTowers View Post
    Fabulous news!

Got a call from the housing department here in Eastbourne.

My application for housing has been processed and they are looking for a place in a retirement home for me.
    That's great!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Great news, Sunny - I hope that happens on the time scale you want!
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    Great news, Sunny - I hope that happens on the time scale you want!
    I have tons to do to prepare for the move. Thankfully there is a community of volunteers here who have offered to help me sort everything out.

I can't wait to get started
    “When life gives you a Monday, dip it in glitter and sparkle all day” – Ella Woodword

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    It is an incredibly helpful site and as I've found very accurate. Some of the regulars who I.D and advise are world class authors, website owners, museum curators and business-people who have been in the glass trade for many years. Others have been collecting for ages and have an encyclopedic knowledge of their area of interest.
    Hi Elench,
    Absolutely right - the wealth of knowledge on the site is amazing.
    Saw some of your posts and help for others - everyone is so helpful on there (unlike a watch site I visited looking for help to remove the back to photo movement without leaving marks - not a dicky-bird from any of them!)
    Re: the pudding bowl - have carried some searches, but haven't found any similar pieces - unsure of the period, so haven't listed yet until I can get an idea of price.

I was very grateful for your tips on re-sizing - I didn't know that such a thing existed on W10!!
    (I'm not very IT savvy), I can't make head or tail of W10 and had to stop using XP because so many websites wouldn't recognise it - so just find myself fumbling around, but the brilliant thing about the re-sizing is when altering it shows the mb size as you alter, which I hadn't noticed for my first photos, but for the last signature one the penny dropped.
    So thank you so much for your tips.
    All the best,
    Marie.

I'm not at all tech savvy and I hate the way Windows keeps changing things. Like my photo filing system that has some items filed by date rather than subject because one update made some change and was then reversed in the next one. More recently they've hidden "Draw" somewhere. It was very useful when I could find it, for putting arrows or circles pointing out chips etc.

I had a quick look at "PASABAHCE" on obay they do some nice, delicate glass but didn't see anything like your bowl -- perhaps you've got something old or rare? You know more than I do about production techniques and as you say a lot of time, patience and skill for something so apparently ordinary? Did you know that somewhere on the GMB is a section about resources, websites / books(?) for those interested in specific glass subjects. I have a Fenton bowl listed, found out it was Fenton from a US site about "Stretch-Glass". Until I found the site through GMB I didn't know either existed!!.

About the MB size, that's why it's best to 'save' and 're-do' within the "Photos" options page. By going back to the folder it would replace the original so several "re-do"s would make the photo progressively more blurred. (I hope that makes some sense)
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Thread Information