My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: International Shipping?

Default International Shipping?

On the other site, I have always only shipped to the U.S. I have sold everything from bike and car parts to magazines. I am curious about your experiences shipping internationally? Time frames, cost, issues? Have your buyers been patient and understood longer shipping times and higher charges? whats the best way to ship internationally? I'd like to ship internationally, and just want to know the pro's and con's.

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am in the UK and sell worldwide on both here and the other auction site ending in "bay" - although most of my buyers are in the UK, I still get a fair percentage of people who are overseas.

Everything goes out tracked and airmail. I usually (99.9% of the time) send the day following payment (although I state up to three days on listings to be on the safe side if swamped with work, university, or theatre), and I seriously have not had any worse issues than I have with inland mail.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by racinraisin View Post
    On the other site, I have always only shipped to the U.S. I have sold everything from bike and car parts to magazines. I am curious about your experiences shipping internationally? Time frames, cost, issues? Have your buyers been patient and understood longer shipping times and higher charges? whats the best way to ship internationally? I'd like to ship internationally, and just want to know the pro's and con's.
    I am a US seller and have always shipped International, surprisingly with very good luck. Under 4 pounds and smaller boxes USPS First Class is cheap then I use USPS Priority Mail International for larger items.
    Unfortunately each country has different size/weight restrictions so be careful with what you agree to ship International. Brazil for example a combined length plus girth can only be 79" max so if I try to ship a guitar to Brazil it has to go Global to the tune of over $400.00. Countries with a 108" limit can go Priority Mail and normall cost $90.00 to ship. Quite a difference. Be careful if you exceed the 79" limit do not check the International shipping box in your listing instead ask the buyer to contact you for a shipping quote prior to bidding/buying. This way you can find out what country they are from and if you can ship without Global fees.
    The other issue with International shipping are the Pay Pal fees. We are charged on the money sent and not on the item amount. So unless you cover additional fees in your International shipping quotes you will find it ends up costing you more to ship International whether or not the buyer pays the shipping costs.
    Took me a few transactions to realize I needed to add $$$ to International shipping just to cover true costs but once I did I have had very good luck shipping International no problems whatsoever.

I have always shipped internationally and have had no problems (fingers crossed) so far. Most people understand that is is going to take awhile to get things from other countries. Most of the things I sell are small and ship easily. We have the advantage of having the calculater on our listings. If you are selling bigger items adrumi's advice is good thing to do.

In the end if you don't offer international listing just look at all the possible customers you may have had. I offer and let people decide if the item is worth it to them.

Thread Information