eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gazza - still getting forbidden nessage with IE6!!!

I use Norton 2007 with IE 7 and I don't have any problems.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    View jarpet21's Feedback (+373)
    All-About jarpet21
    View jarpet21's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kengillam View Post
    I use Norton 2007 with IE 7 and I don't have any problems.
    Its only users of IE6 that has the problem and then possibly only a small section. Like JUMBLEROOMS I have to turn NIS off to access the site - this is just too risky to keep doing.

All-About jarpet21
    View jarpet21's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi JUMBLEROOMS I have just been messing about with my Nortons settings and what I have found is that if I disable 'Privacy Control' then I can access Ebid again. I'm not very technically minded and I certainly don't want to permanently disable that part of NIS but hopefully it will help find a solution. I would be interested to know if disabling privacy control works for you also or if it is just a fluke on my part.

All-About jarpet21
    View jarpet21's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi JUMBLEROOMS
    Yes I made a mistake in my earlier post. It is only the home page which works with privacy control tumed off - all other pages are still 'forbidden' unless I turn off my Internet security. What a shame!! Gazza do you have ay ideas what the problem might be?

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi folks , I might be wrong but I am sure there was a response from ebid saying or asking members to upgrade to IE7 ???and this seemed to work for a lot of people...also a lot of people have had a lot of problems with Norton....on a lot of issues....I can appreciate the frustration ... but I do not think the ... outburst ? from jumble will help....is it not possible to upgrade to IE7....try it it might well solve your problem....

Forum Newbie
    View mjocovers's Feedback (+10054)
    All-About mjocovers
    View mjocovers's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have just started selling on ebid, and this does not bode well.

My concern is that do I now have to contact all my potential customers and say that sorry, you can only access my auctions if you have IE7 (or firefox) !

It is not uncommon for websites to state that they only work properly with this or that xxxx so eBid would not be alone in that. It is not unreasonable to expect that most people are using the Industry standard, 80% of visitors to my website use IE so are you saying I should cater for someone who says they have problems because they are using DOS 3.3 !
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Julie what version of Norton are you using?
    Jumblerooms said he's using Norton 2004.
    If you don't know for sure run the program you should find it
    Help - About Norton

Jumblerooms didn't post the details Gazza asked for from the
    http://www.stilllistener.com/checkpoint1/ssi/ just said he could see the site.

Does switching norton off change what you see on that site?

Gazza did ask you for a screenshot of http://www.stilllistener.com/checkpoint1/ssi/ from your affected PC, (obviously that would have to be with norton running) so that he can see what you do.

To do a screenshot you need to use the printscreen key on your keyboard to save it to the clipboard. If you have a fancy keyboard with lots of extra keys & it opens your printer, you may need to switch the extra keys off.

Then open a graphics program & paste the image you can then resize it & save it as a jpg or gif to attach to your post.

Maybe a screenshot of that site, with norton running, & with norton not running would help.

I've never touched norton, so don't know much about it, is there somewhere there to add eBid as a trusted site?

Quote Originally Posted by mjocovers View Post
    I have just started selling on ebid, and this does not bode well.

My concern is that do I now have to contact all my potential customers and say that sorry, you can only access my auctions if you have IE7 (or firefox) !
    I'm using IE6 to type this, & touch wood haven't been affected by either these latest problems, or the previous ones.
    Gazza said the previous problem affected about 2% of IE6 users, this current one seems to affect only IE6 users who use Norton, whether it's all versions or only Norton 2004 remains to be seen.

What is strange is with the previous problem, people could still get into the forums, with this one they cannot.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 5th July 2008 at 02:19 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

All-About jarpet21
    View jarpet21's Listings
    Forum Posts

Help - About Norton

Hi Gothicina - thank you for your lovely post
    I'm using an older version of Nortons the same as Jumblerooms. I can only access Ebid by disabling Nortons Internet Security. The problem is that Nortons & IE6 work fine on every other website and Ebid is quite small in comparison to most of them which is why it is so annoying. Everything did work fine until the recent 'fix'

I have posted the information that Gazza wanted from the Stillistener webite in an earlier post but he has not got back to me since - I am not sure why. I can only access the technical information from that site with Nortons turned off. The strange thing is that if I have Nortons turned on the Stillistener website will still display but not any of the technical information - it is almost like looking at a different website. I would imagine that Gazza would really need the technical information from when I am having problems but I cannot see the info then - if that makes sense!!

I've added Ebid to my trusted website list but that does not make any difference. I don't want to upgrade to IE7 - most of my sales are on the darkside and TL doesn't like IE7 being installed over IE6 when TL is already on your PC. I just can't afford to take the risk of having problems with that piece of software and losing my database - and to be completely honest I actually don't like IE7 either which is why it has never bothered me about updating before.

On the positive side Nortons runs out in a few months and I will be using something else so it may just be a case of making do until then. Thankyou for trying to help anyway.

Best wishes
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by jarpet21 View Post
    Help - About Norton

Hi Gothicina - thank you for your lovely post
    I'm using an older version of Nortons the same as Jumblerooms. I can only access Ebid by disabling Nortons Internet Security. The problem is that Nortons & IE6 work fine on every other website and Ebid is quite small in comparison to most of them which is why it is so annoying. Everything did work fine until the recent 'fix'

I have posted the information that Gazza wanted from the Stillistener webite in an earlier post but he has not got back to me since - I am not sure why. I can only access the technical information from that site with Nortons turned off. The strange thing is that if I have Nortons turned on the Stillistener website will still display but not any of the technical information - it is almost like looking at a different website. I would imagine that Gazza would really need the technical information from when I am having problems but I cannot see the info then - if that makes sense!!

I've added Ebid to my trusted website list but that does not make any difference. I don't want to upgrade to IE7 - most of my sales are on the darkside and TL doesn't like IE7 being installed over IE6 when TL is already on your PC. I just can't afford to take the risk of having problems with that piece of software and losing my database - and to be completely honest I actually don't like IE7 either which is why it has never bothered me about updating before.

On the positive side Nortons runs out in a few months and I will be using something else so it may just be a case of making do until then. Thankyou for trying to help anyway.

Best wishes
    Julie
    Have you tried using firefox?
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
    You don't have to make it your default browser, so can still use IE6 for everything else & just firefox for eBid at least as a stop gap, until Gazza has found a fix, which is probably easier than keep disabling your norton.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

Thread Information