Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: What A Mighty God we Serve!

Default Re: What A Mighty God we Serve!

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    The concept of time is expansive, ......

The Bible in Genesis 1:1 states........"In the beginning God created.........." a questionable translation

"God as Creator does exist outside time (part of creation)."
    I repeat what I said: "God as Creator must exist outside time (part of Creation)"...The statement needs no other proofs as if one starts with the premiss that there is a God who created everything, then all else follows. To over simplify by allegory, if I bake a cake I cannot be contained within the cake. It is possible to argue that some essence of me is contained within but that is not the same thing.

This concept of time, especially with reference to the chronology of the texts which are always quoted, is the most important feature in trying to comprehend what is going on in the complexity of the group of texts we refer to as the Bible. Get the chronology right and we begin to see different pictures.

For example, ask any average Christian about the conversion of St Paul, and you will be told the story of St Paul on the road to Damascus, a blinding light and a voice from heaven. All Christians have known this story for nearly 2000 years. All? no as there is at least one exception...St Paul knew nothing about this at all! If we read the core of the NT in the correct chronological order, (Early epistles of Paul, followed by the gospels (in the sequence Mark, Matthew, Luke, John) then Acts, we have a different picture. Paul does not have any reference to the Damascus story and tells of his conversion much more simply; He propounds his Christian faith most eloquently, but makes no reference to the location of Jesus in time and space, i.e. he makes no reference to a historical or geographical Jesus. He writes to widely scattered groups outside the Holy Land before the gospels were written - and they are already Christian.

Recently I was listening to a homily based on the nativity narrative in St Luke's gospel. Referring to the census mentioned the priest asserted that as we know when this occurred, then despite all criticism, we do know when the birth occurred (6AD). I did not leap to my feet...I always let them chunter on and take up any argument in private. He had of course omitted the Annunciation which Luke tells us took place in the reign of Herod. Unfortunately Herod died in 4 BC. This gives a gestation period of ten years at the very least, a miracle greater than the concept of the Virgin Birth. (Add in the tradition that Luke was John Luke, a doctor, and we begin to wonder).

What has this to do with time? Quite a lot. It is the attempt by westerners to place things in time and space that leads to such anomalies. It is obvious from the reference to Luke above that there are at least three hands involved in the birth narrative. A later redactor trying to synchronise two or three accounts blends them together. Unfortunately the redactor has no historical knowledge of the period and does not realise the error he has compounded. Most people hear the story as a story and do not check the history involved...and this continues. For St Paul, when and where has no significance. It is the greater concept which counts.

The easiest place for most people to start examining the concept of time and chronology is not in the Bible. Try becoming "as a little child" and reading C.SLewis' Narnia. chronicles with time and space in mind. There are seven books - read them in published order. This is important as it is the correct chronological sequence of the writing. When you get to "The Magician's Nephew" you'll see the complexity involved. Great fun and little pain involved as you do not need a working knowledge of Hellenistic Greek and Ancient Semitic languages to grasp it - but Lewis gets the thinking reader into "chicken and egg" thinking in a very entertaining manner.

Elohim
    (Gods) bless...

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

PRAYER REQUESTS/ UPDATES/ PRAISE REPORTS

A PRAISE

I saw the LORD seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs......and they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory." [Isaiah 6:1-3 NIV]

Give unto the LORD, O ye mighty, give unto the LORD glory and strength. Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. (Psalms 29:1-2 KJV)

Give unto the LORD, O ye kindreds of the people, give unto the LORD glory and strength. Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come into his courts. O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth. (Psalms 96:7-9 KJV)

Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved. (I Chronicles 16:29-30 KJV)

A PRAYER

May the blessings of God be with all who view or post to this thread. May you be strengthened in spirit, mind, body throughout 2014 and beyond. I ask this in the name of Jesus. Thank you Father for being a gracious God.

FOR EARLIER UPDATE HISTORY SEE POST #760 & POST #982 (LAST 2010 LIST UPDATE)

SEE POST # 1039 FOR THREAD 2010 SUMMARY REPORT & POST #1043 FOR 1st PRAYER LIST 2011
    POST# 1281 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2011 & POST# 1288 FOR 2011 SUMMARY REPORT
    SEE POST # 1447 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2012 & POST # 1486 FOR 2012 SUMMARY REPORT
    SEE POST # 1504 FOR LAST PRAYER LIST FOR 2013

Name:  XP.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  14.8 KB

It is now Lent; the season commenced last Wednesday (Ash Wednesday), it might be worth looking at a few relevant apps. The app. "Laudate" is useful and covers many areas for the odd 5 minutes or more during a busy day. It's available at the "Play" store for Android and on iOS for "the other side". I'm told that the iPhone version gets some of the days muddled. I have only android which works well. It's available in 12 modern languages and some features are enabled in Latin also for those old enough to remember! (Includes me, sad to say...), but useful if in a mixed language group!

Two Marian symbols? In Lent? Time flashes by without losing two months for me!
    On second thoughts leave alone...I find June too short a month anyway.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

The Lord Jesus Christ, the reason for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post

Hmmm - and then there was one! My favourite one though I must admit. Thanks.

It was Laetare Sunday last Sunday as well; always find that cheering.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Would like to pray for our world leaders, as there is so much turmoil, unrest, and despair all around the world.

Psalms 133 (KJV)
    Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! 2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; 3 As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

Father God, LORD Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; I come before you just to ask that you would move in the midst of all the world unrest. Be with our world leaders starting from the USA and though out the world. Please help them to make sound and just decisions on behalf of the people they are charged to represent. Help them to forget about themselves, their pride, their need for power, and consider the needs of the people they govern.

Send the Spirit of Peace to the troubled regions of the world. Speak peace to the middle east, to the Israel/Palestinian conflict. Let justice prevail for the people of both sides. Touch the families and communities who are suffering through the destruction of lives, and property. Replace fear in the region with the Spirit of Peace.

Touch the troubled Ukrainian and Russian regions of the world. Comfort the families and friends of those individuals who lost their lives on the downed Malaysian Airliner. Send the Spirit of Peace to this region. Help the leaders of these regions and also those of the USA, to base their decisions and actions in ways that will benefit the people they are governing. Be with the communities and nations who will be impacted by sanctions.

LORD, I give you thanks, knowing that you are a God who hears and answers prayers. I ask these things in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Ipswich - The Jewel Of The East -, Suffolk, United Kingdom
    View squern's Feedback (+2196)
    All-About squern
    View squern's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't want to upset anybody, but................

I must say I find these postings by religious people to be rather annoying.

I won't go into what my beliefs are because that is a private matter. I feel that the RPs should take the same view.

I could rant on about it being disrespectful of the other religions in the world, to non-believers, heathens, and satanists, but I won't.

I just think this is not the place for these sort of postings. They have their place, but it's not here.

View ropegg's Feedback (+424)
    All-About ropegg
    View ropegg's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sofiag1964 View Post
    Hello! I'm so excited on so many things I've been blessed with and I want to share them with you. None of us have all the answers, but one thing I do know and that is the faith in God I have and am not ashamed to share it.

There are several scriptures that get me through the tough times; whether it's financial, phsyical illnesses, loss of loved ones or just having a very bad day.

This is bascially to share what I've gone through and what I do to get through them. This isn't meant for debate and no slandering anyone else's beliefs, just a part of me I want to share with you.

Thank you for letting me share this with you.... this is probably the first one I came to know and helped me to see others in a way I never did before;

John 13:34 I give you a new commandment: that you should love one another. Just as I have loved you, so you too should love one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by squern View Post
    I don't want to upset anybody, but................

I must say I find these postings by religious people to be rather annoying.

I won't go into what my beliefs are because that is a private matter. I feel that the RPs should take the same view.

I could rant on about it being disrespectful of the other religions in the world, to non-believers, heathens, and satanists, but I won't.

I just think this is not the place for these sort of postings. They have their place, but it's not here.
    Hi squern,

The top quote is the first post and Sofia did not mean for anyone to be offended but to be blessed and enjoy God's help through the tough times.

There is a lot I don't understand about the forums and I don't spend a lot of time in them but I would think the "Chat About Anything" "Spirituality & Metaphysical" would be the perfect spot for burgyeb's post of prayer and I second her prayer as help is (in my opinion) definitely needed.
    My stores:
    Ropegg
    Cups-Cups-Cups
    And Other Stuff
    Peggy A's Jewels

God Bless and have a great day!!!!

Thread Information