Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official guide lines vinyl rating

Default Official guide lines vinyl rating

Is there a guide to what a vinyl has to be to be classed as excellent, very good, good etc?

Currently I list vinyls (not had any 78's yet) as I see them, but wondered if there were any set tables for vinyl conditions, and is there separate conditions for everything but the vinyl it's self?

This next bit is to some a silly question, but I need to ask.

On most vinyls I sell, there is 3 parts to them.

The vinyl it's self
    The inner sleeve
    The cover

Are the 3 things I just listed the correct names for them?

Is there also an "idiot guide" to buying & selling vinyls anywhere on the net that's free, or a book that is easy to understand? I am not too bothered about pricing guides, as I compare various sites now to see what similar items are fetching.

I just want to make sure that I am giving customers / potential customers the correct information

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Is there a guide to what a vinyl has to be to be classed as excellent, very good, good etc?

Currently I list vinyls (not had any 78's yet) as I see them, but wondered if there were any set tables for vinyl conditions, and is there separate conditions for everything but the vinyl it's self?

This next bit is to some a silly question, but I need to ask.

On most vinyls I sell, there is 3 parts to them.

The vinyl it's self
    The inner sleeve
    The cover

Are the 3 things I just listed the correct names for them?

Is there also an "idiot guide" to buying & selling vinyls anywhere on the net that's free, or a book that is easy to understand? I am not too bothered about pricing guides, as I compare various sites now to see what similar items are fetching.

I just want to make sure that I am giving customers / potential customers the correct information

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me
    Sarah
    Everything you should need is here http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/

Myself not being a record dealer might look like it but i'm not just collected a lot of vinyl over the years, and still collecting now when i should be selling not buying , or so the wife says ,i myself just grade my records as i find them, ex,vgc, near mint, mint, i play every record before listing and before posting out if it plays ok with no jumps or sticks and no bad crackling i list it, my rule of thumb is i only sell if i would be happy to get the record myself.
    From what i can se most use the record guide, but then everyones perception of good excellent mint are different, i have been sold records in the past that were classed as near mint but were full of scratches(played ok ) but were not i would call mint, and others where they were just good,and they were in fantastic condition, everyone is different so make your own mind up on it .
    Hope that helps in a small way and has not confused you to much lol.
    Pete
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

here is the offical record collectors guide

Record Collectors Grading system

Mint (M)
    The record itself is in brand new condition with no surface marks or deterioration in sound quality. The cover and any extra items such as the lyric sheet. booklet or poster are in perfect condiition. Records marked as Sealed or Unplayed should be Mint
    Excellent (EX
    The record shows some signs of having been played, but there is very little lessening in sound quality. The cover and packaging might have slight wear and/or creasing.
    Very Good (VG)
    The record has obviously been played many times, but displayes no major deterioration in sound quality, despite noticeable surface marks and the occasional light scratch. Normal wear and tear on the cover or extra items, without any moajor defects is acceptable
    Good (G)
    Te record has been played so much that the sound quality has notceably deteriorated, perhaps with some distortion and mild scratches. The cover and contents suffer from folding, scuffing of edges, spine splits, discolouration, etc
    Fair (F)
    The record is still just playable but has not been cared for properly and displays considerable surface noise; it may even jump. The cover and contents will be torn, stained and/or defaced.
    Poor (P)
    The record will not play properly due to scratched, bad surface noise, etc. The cover and contents will be badly damaged or partly missing
    Bad (B)
    The record is unplayable or might even be broken, and is only of use as a collection-filler
    CD's and CASSETTES
    As a general rule CD's and Cassettes either play perfectly - inwhich case they are in Mint condition - or they don't, in which case their value is minimal. Cassette tape is liable to deteriorate with age, even if it remains unplayed, so care should be taken when buying old tapes. CD's are difficult to grade visually; they can look perfect but actually be faulty, while in other cases they may appear damaged but still play perfectly. Cassette and CD inlays and booklets should be graded in the same way as record covers and sleeves. In general, the plastic containers for cassettes and CDs can easily be replaces if they are broken or scratched, but card covers and digipaks are subject to the same wear as record sleeves.

hope this helps

the sleeve can be just as inportant as the vinyl and any posters inner sleeve with lyrics or pictures stickers ect can male a vast differance in price as in if it is signed.
    there is loads of information on the net on first issue pressings what to look for
    Al
    Last edited by Alcollectabilia; 15th October 2008 at 03:53 PM.

it is also like huddy lion says the interpretation does differ pending how the others see it.
    like all collectables the price is all up to how much an item is worth to a person
    a record may be listed as £10 and valued at £15 someone may pay well over that top price for it
    Al

So the new way I have been listing is like what both you say.

I just wish i had time to listen to them all, I must start doing this. (anyone know a good baby sitter?)

Does a vinyl normally play fine if there is no scratches visable, or do you have to play them to find out?

View jazzguyuk1's Feedback (+5488)
    All-About jazzguyuk1
    View jazzguyuk1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi sarah

i would buy rare record price guide cost around £20+ its a good guide for rare records that you may have..

i would also play the vinyl before you put VG or EX and it jumps or has scratches then customer wont be happy..

get a good anti static cloth as well..

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by JazzguyUK1 View Post
    Hi sarah

i would buy rare record price guide cost around £20+ its a good guide for rare records that you may have..

i would also play the vinyl before you put VG or EX and it jumps or has scratches then customer wont be happy..

get a good anti static cloth as well..

Nigel
    Whs smith? or online?

I will start to listen to them, can I add 12 hours to each day to make there 36 hours in a day, I might have time then LOL

Got one of them and they are brill

Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View Huddylion's Feedback (+4843)
    All-About Huddylion
    View Huddylion's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    Whs smith? or online?

I will start to listen to them, can I add 12 hours to each day to make there 36 hours in a day, I might have time then LOL

Got one of them and they are brill
    Youll be bopping around the house all day long now lol, like my little one is , i can't because of me poor old back .

You can get the price guide from the record dealer site, thats what i do if i think i have a rare one
    My feedback of
    is 100% positive and has all been earnt here on Ebid

Quote Originally Posted by Huddylion View Post
    Youll be bopping around the house all day long now lol, like my little one is , i can't because of me poor old back .

You can get the price guide from the record dealer site, thats what i do if i think i have a rare one
    My brain is frazzled

How do I know if it's "rare" without the guide

put the title artist and the code find this usually back of cover top right hand corner
    not always sometimes bottom (choose the first one) there may be more than 1 code
    will be on the centre part of record and the date put this into google

the markings on the vinyl is to indicate release pressings
    Al
    Last edited by Alcollectabilia; 15th October 2008 at 11:13 PM.

Thread Information