eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: is this the place for antiques / collectibles??

Forum Lurker
    View sovereignman's Feedback (+16)
    All-About sovereignman
    View sovereignman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MyJunk View Post
    I am starting to wonder, after not even getting any questions on my items, I am still going to try to get stuff on here, and see what happens over the holidays, BUT if I don't start at least getting some offers or questions, I am going to have to figure something else out

what are your feelings on this, good stuff costs to much to give away

HUGS AND GOOD LUCK
    tor
    I agree good items are expensive to find and buy. This site seems to be pretty much without buyers. The management here needs to do something besides take in lifetime memberships and pocket the money. They have been around for over 10 years and the categories are very basic.

But when you try and sell a perfectly legal item in The US it is banned because it can't be sold in the UK. Very Unfair!

Many sellers here in the US are feeling the pinch,those at the top with hundreds of listing may be eking out and existence.

I look at the sales and auction coming to an end and not one in 10 sell. Is it because the prices are too high? i dont think so.

To see if I could sell items I listed a few at .99 cents with no reserve on items costing more , no lookers ,no questions, no sales.

ebid is the best kept secret in the world.

Forum Lurker
    All-About sovereignman
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrsandman View Post
    Hi, I am going through a bit of the same. I have quite a few collectables that I honestly just want to go to give me some room. If you price too lowly ,thats not so good and I supose the same thing be be said , if you list too high.

Worth staying around though as people are starting to come over . Good luck
    Worth staying around though as people are starting to come over . Good luck Still feeling the same? What are you doing to generate sales, ideas?

Forum Newbie
    All-About bideebid
    View bideebid's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sovereignman View Post
    I agree good items are expensive to find and buy. This site seems to be pretty much without buyers. The management here needs to do something besides take in lifetime memberships and pocket the money. They have been around for over 10 years and the categories are very basic.

But when you try and sell a perfectly legal item in The US it is banned because it can't be sold in the UK. Very Unfair!

Many sellers here in the US are feeling the pinch,those at the top with hundreds of listing may be eking out and existence.

I look at the sales and auction coming to an end and not one in 10 sell. Is it because the prices are too high? i dont think so.

To see if I could sell items I listed a few at .99 cents with no reserve on items costing more , no lookers ,no questions, no sales.

bid is the best kept secret in the world.

Much of what you say is right. I was a one-time biggish seller on another site, not in terms of selling vast numbers of items but in terms of quality antiques and achieved prices. My target was invariably US buyers and items were loaded on at to finish within a US timescale.

I am now a buyer to the tune of probably 30 - 40 items a year on-line and many more at live auctions in the UK, either through online bidding or commission bidding. I don't sell.

I've never bought anything on Ebid and frankly I invariably give up trying to look. Last night I looked and bar a few uninteresting items within an antiques category (many not antiques), I gave up when confronted with lists and lists of modern day reproduction prints that had no business in antiques and are probably only there on the basis they are easy to list using the same format and listing is free; I class them as the worse sort of SPAM

So here's a few suggestions for Ebid:

Give up on the life membership fee and bring in a listing charge that makes people think before they list.

Don't then do as eBay do by allowing a free relisting; there are items on there that have been there for months.

Use some of the extra income to properly monitor the listings for wrong categories or fakes and don't be afraid to kick the wrong people into touch.

Remember, this site is as much, if not more, about the right climate for buying as it is for listing.

Forum Lurker
    All-About sovereignman
    Forum Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by bideebid View Post
    Much of what you say is right. I was a one-time biggish seller on another site, not in terms of selling vast numbers of items but in terms of quality antiques and achieved prices. My target was invariably US buyers and items were loaded on at to finish within a US timescale.

I am now a buyer to the tune of probably 30 - 40 items a year on-line and many more at live auctions in the UK, either through online bidding or commission bidding. I don't sell.

I've never bought anything on Ebid and frankly I invariably give up trying to look. Last night I looked and bar a few uninteresting items within an antiques category (many not antiques), I gave up when confronted with lists and lists of modern day reproduction prints that had no business in antiques and are probably only there on the basis they are easy to list using the same format and listing is free; I class them as the worse sort of SPAM

So here's a few suggestions for Ebid:

Give up on the life membership fee and bring in a listing charge that makes people think before they list.

Don't then do as eBay do by allowing a free relisting; there are items on there that have been there for months.

Use some of the extra income to properly monitor the listings for wrong categories or fakes and don't be afraid to kick the wrong people into touch.

Remember, this site is as much, if not more, about the right climate for buying as it is for listing.
    I still sell on Ebay, but I try and direct customers to this site.

Your statement is well said, I await the 5th of Jan. We will see if E-bid takes all these suggestions to heart. If not, they will "never" attain prominence in the on-line auction society, they will just roll slowly along as they have for a number of years.

If you see mislisted items call them to E-bids attention, some one has to do their job for them. ;0)
    Last edited by sovereignman; 4th January 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Forum Diehard
    View kedo's Feedback (+4128)
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

To see if I could sell items I listed a few at .99 cents with no reserve on items costing more, no lookers ,no questions, no sales.
    Completely the wrong strategy! I could of predicted that you wouldn't get any sales.

Why don't you adapt to eBid? Make some attempt to understand how other sellers get sales. It will save you a lot of time and effort.

See what I sold on eBid here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sellingonebid/
    Last edited by kedo; 4th January 2010 at 04:13 AM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About sovereignman
    Forum Posts

Smile

I see you have hundreds if not thousands of listings, that speaks volumes to me, piles of product,some will sell, but what is your percentage of sales compared to number of listings?,I see your items have been looked at in some cases over 75 times and no sales.

I have sold over $25,000 within a year on ebay with few
    listings, quality not quantity.

I would not want to have to list thousands of items, i'd have no life outside of e-bid or e-bay. its bad enough now.

Oh and I looked at only 339 of your listings hummm not one bidder.

Have to go for now, have to get invoices off over at e-bay only a couple hundred dollars today.
    Last edited by sovereignman; 4th January 2010 at 06:00 AM.

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I see you have hundreds if not thousands of listings, that speaks volumes to me, piles of product,some will sell, but what is your percentage of sales compared to number of listings?,I see your items have been looked at in some cases over 75 times and no sales.

I have sold over $25,000 within a year on ebay with few
    listings, quality not quantity.

I would not want to have to list thousands of items, i'd have no life outside of e-bid or e-bay. its bad enough now.

Oh and I looked at only 339 of your listings hummm not one bidder.

Have to go for now, have to get invoices off over at e-bay only a couple hundred dollars today.
    How would I have bidders when they're all BIN's.

Incidentally, quoting your sales figures has no meaning. If you told me what the profit was after costs including cost of items, fees/relisting fees etc then I might be more interested.

See what I sold on eBid - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sellingonebid/
    Last edited by kedo; 4th January 2010 at 12:09 PM.

Forum Lurker
    All-About sovereignman
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedo View Post
    How would I have bidders when they're all BIN's.

Incidentally, quoting your sales figures has no meaning. If you told me what the profit was after costs including cost of items, fees/relisting fees etc then I might be more interested.

See what I sold on eBid - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sellingonebid/

I also looked at your recent sales,I see that many have sit for over 50 days before selling, some less some more. E-bids numbers do not support good sales yet.

Im not alone in my thinking here,there are many other sellers that feel the same, looking at the posts.

Hopefully the 5th will make positive change.

Forum Diehard
    All-About kedo
    View kedo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I also looked at your recent sales,I see that many have sit for over 50 days before selling, some less some more. E-bids numbers do not support good sales yet.

Im not alone in my thinking here,there are many other sellers that feel the same, looking at the posts.

Hopefully the 5th will make positive change.
    How would you look up what I've sold? You can't use feedback, it's meaningless.

Why don't you look at the link I keep posting?

See what I sold on eBid here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sellingonebid/

I sold £155 worth of vintage toys yesterday alone. I'm quite happy with that, in fact, I wouldn't mind a repeat today.

ebid is the best kept secret in the world.
    We recommend new sellers follow the 20+ tips on forums for getting sales going. i.e. no 99 cent auctions, chose reasonable first bid. No, not because as one new seller suggested, buyers are not too stupid to recognize a bargain. They don't want to take advantage of you or play games.

i.e. no bidding wars. First bid takes it. You may see this as lack of sales, I see it as buyers who are sick of shilling, and want to get a good item at a good price.

i.e. stock a lot. No we are not losers who can't sell anything. We learned fast that more items generate more sales. Its a ratio thing. Don't 500 fish hooks catch more than 5? My 450 listings generate 1-2 sales a day. Lately more (over weekend 42, and 2 a day since). Each seller has to find the quantity they need to stock to generate the sales they want. Be it 1000, 200, 10,000 whatever.

Games different here and are changing daily. Learn fast or make no sales. Simple to follow tips and grow as a seller, and start to generate more sales. Easy to blame ebid and say they "pocket" fees and don't do anything.

One last thing, ebid is the #1 alternative auction site in the world. Not much of a secret anymore. Sellers are finding us awfully fast by searching web and looking at the stats. The smart ones bring their old customers over and follow the tips from sellers who are successful here.

Thread Information