Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Home I Hope

Forum Newbie
    All-About ELona
    View ELona's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile New Home I Hope

Hi all,

I think this site is great and I hope it's going to be my new home. I sell semi casually and I enjoy the auction atmosphere. I did try another auction site after I left scambay but it was an extremely frustrating place to try and get running.

eBid is a joy to use... I put up several ads one night, It was very easy and right away I was able to search and find them with simple key words.

The one thing that does concern me, is that americans aren't exposed to international language very often and when we see the word "checks" spelled "cheques" and other foreign type stuff... it tends to freak us out.... it makes some of us think maybe we shouldn't shop at this site because it's ferign and we should only shop amurikin internet stores. I'm sorry if that seems foolish, I hope it's not true because I think eBid is a great alternative site and I hope it grows in the U.S. market and I hope I make money here...

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hello ELona and welcome. Obviously you can decipher British English like "cheques", etc. After all, our American language is closely related.

Keep in mind that in online texting, it's been shown that up to 44% of characters can be garbled and people will still be able to understand the message. Give us some credit: we can certainly understand each other here. Also it's fun to learn new words and phrases back and forth.

Well I blame you colonialists for corrupting the 'Queen's English' though I think it was the King's when their was that small altercation over a cup of tea I think it was

Some of you Americans should get out more, there is a world past the shores of the USA you know
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

Quote Originally Posted by ELona View Post
    Hi all,

I think this site is great and I hope it's going to be my new home. I sell semi casually and I enjoy the auction atmosphere. I did try another auction site after I left scambay but it was an extremely frustrating place to try and get running.

eBid is a joy to use... I put up several ads one night, It was very easy and right away I was able to search and find them with simple key words.

The one thing that does concern me, is that americans aren't exposed to international language very often and when we see the word "checks" spelled "cheques" and other foreign type stuff... it tends to freak us out.... it makes some of us think maybe we shouldn't shop at this site because it's ferign and we should only shop amurikin internet stores. I'm sorry if that seems foolish, I hope it's not true because I think eBid is a great alternative site and I hope it grows in the U.S. market and I hope I make money here...

Speaking of language difficulties though, what is 'amurikin'? I am well used to American lingo but to be honest it makes a refreshing change for something on the net to be UK based, I feel.

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

ooh - I just saw it - is it meant to be 'American' ???

Vintage postcards bought and sold
    Established internet postcard trader since 2004
    and we now have an Ebid book store (mainly non fiction)

Our Stores: http://oldpostcards.ebid.net/
    http://books4sale.ebid.net/

All About Me: http://uk.ebid.net/users/OldPostcards

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elona and a warm welcome to the site, nice to have you here

The one thing that does concern me, is that americans aren't exposed to international language very often and when we see the word "checks" spelled "cheques" and other foreign type stuff... it tends to freak us out.... it makes some of us think maybe we shouldn't shop at this site because it's ferign and we should only shop amurikin internet stores. I'm sorry if that seems foolish
    I've sold to the USA a lot via many different internet venues, and I've always, without exception, found Americans an absolute joy and pleasure to correspond with.

I don't think you're being foolish at all, just honest in what you're experience is. Are there any other British things/ spellings/ terms that may potentialy confuse? I like to make my auctions/ adverts etc as clear and easy to understand as possible to everyone, no matter what country you're from

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm sure our American english is as confusing to anyone who isn't US, but that hasn't stopped sales to other countries.

When in doubt ask and someone will explain, even if they are snickering the whole time!

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Some of you Americans should get out more, there is a world past the shores of the USA you know

When in doubt ask and someone will explain, even if they are snickering the whole time!
    Yes! Sort of like armchair travel. Fun!

Welcome to eBid, ELona. I'm always happy to see a new US member. You're right, this site is a joy to use. And if you ever get stuck, don't be afraid to ask. Many very helpful people here.

I've asked for definitions of many words . . . kind of fun learning alternate English, and nobody has ever made me feel foolish for asking.

Keep browsing the forums (especially the Kitchen Table). It's given me a new picture of the people in the UK. Except for strange words and odd spellings, they're really very much like people in the US, very friendly and funny.

Who knows, maybe the eBid forums will improve our foreign relations. We certainly could use some help there!

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another word 'difference' I always giggle at is the word tyre. I was always used to checking my tyres and tyre pressure on my car in the UK but have to giggle when I'm checking my tires here in the USA.

And every time I type tyre ............. yup, there it goes again ........ I get a spell error pop up LOL!

~Jan~

Thread Information