Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

View Poll Results: Should eBid be a global access venue?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Buyers from all countries should be allowed access

16 51.61%
  • Yes, Sellers from all countries should be allowed access

8 25.81%
  • Yes but, Buyers from other countries need increased ID verification

7 22.58%
  • Yes but, Sellers from other countries need increased ID verification

9 29.03%
  • Yes but, Sellers must be business-verified before listing

0 0%
  • Yes but, payment options need restricted for non-site countries

3 9.68%
  • Yes but, with a different member grade for non-site countries

2 6.45%
  • Yes but, multi-lingual and translation facilities are needed

11 35.48%
  • Yes but, English (as the International language) must be enforced

5 16.13%
  • No but, a route for exceptional cases to join is needed

5 16.13%
  • Not yet, improve some features and services needed to accept global members

5 16.13%
  • Not yet, the sites' infrastructure needs strengthening first

8 25.81%
  • No, only users in eBid site-countries should be allowed

2 6.45%
  • No, the site should improve existing territories' market share first

5 16.13%
  • No, we don't want cheap Chinese knock-offs and fakes here

11 35.48%
  • No, receiving or sending payments will be a problem

2 6.45%
  • No, I feel it will open the door to too many scams

8 25.81%
  • No, the languages barrier is already too difficult

3 9.68%
  • No, lets get the global economic crisis over with first

1 3.23%
  • Errr, it's global already isn't it?

2 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Globalising eBid - your opinions and priorities

View ttelyob's Feedback (+1495)
    All-About ttelyob
    View ttelyob's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post

On the other hand, China and Hong Kong have a lot of problem sellers because their governments don't care about fakes.
    In the past I have had some good sales to buyers in China and Hong Kong, never bought anything from there so can't really comment on sellers from china or Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by ttelyob View Post
    In the past I have had some good sales to buyers in China and Hong Kong, never bought anything from there so can't really comment on sellers from china or Hong Kong.
    To be honest, I've never had problems with buyers from any country.

Quote Originally Posted by ttelyob View Post
    I don't have any problem with buyers from any country, I voted accordingly on the poll. As long as there's some kind of payment method available, sellers (as always) can wait until the funds arrive before shipping.

There's a thread in the Coin forum about counterfeit coins from China, complete with fake slabs that appear to be from the legitimate coin certification companies, being a major problem. I've seen more than one article in coin magazines warning people not to buy coins from China, they're almost always fakes.

We've all heard about the bootlegged CDs and DVDs from China.

There was an article in Time magazine that pointed out the reason China is going to have problems getting into service industries such as computer software is that creative people have no legal protection, their designs and ideas would be stolen.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've voted for global buyers and sellers, fullstop. Sure eBid needs to police for fakes and scammers, but I don't believe penalising entire nations is the way to do that. If they can't keep a location safe... they can't keep *any* location safe.

On the Dark Side the only problems I had were with American Buyers/Sellers. I've sold hundreds of items to the Far East ( including Malaysia where all packages are carefully inspected by professional government thieves and they STILL got through )..
    So....the more the merrier.

" Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't. "
    Ben Franklin

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...-and-Militaria

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevil-COMICS

http://us.ebid.net/stores/JerseyDevi...CTCs-and-Games

I also sold something to a buyer in Malaysia. Took forever to reach him, and the postage was outrageous, but he did get it. Left very nice feedback, too. Buyers have not been a problem for us.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo750 View Post
    I would like to see any blocks on eBid lifted. I understand why there were blocks put on due to some large DDOS attacks a while ago but they should not be permanent.

eBid are losing good members and custom and yes they are causing bad press for them self's as you might have seen on PSU a while ago.

Blocking will also slow site speed and use more server resources as each user is checked.

Perhaps i'm wrong but is it not pointless to block an ip or useragent ? as is so quick and easy to bypass vea proxy server and access eBid vea that.

End rant!
    As a newbie, I would like to make an informed decision before voting. Why is eBid no longer global? What are "large DDOS attacks", and what is PSU? The OP's feedback seems pretty good, (only (1) neg, you can't please everyone), but blocked because of his country? I don't understand.
    Birdwatcher2008

I've done a little research and figured out what DDOS attacks and PSU are, but I still don't know why eBid in no longer global.

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    On the Dark Side the only problems I had were with American Buyers/Sellers. I've sold hundreds of items to the Far East ( including Malaysia where all packages are carefully inspected by professional government thieves and they STILL got through )..
    So....the more the merrier.
    LOL - you sound so much like me in that post - I am known to echo identical sentiments frequently.

Interestingly, I cam across an interesting piece in the Malaysian Economic Times online a few days back (and have passed it on to several online journo's who can promulgate it) - it seems that Malaysian Internet users receive four times as much spam from within Malaysia as they receive from the rest of the world combined and almost all of the internal spam is phishing emails due to their explosion in internet banking over the last year.

Imagine - the residents of one country generating four times more phishing emails against their countrymen (and women) than all the other countries combined. I still shake my head thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher2008 View Post
    I've done a little research and figured out what DDOS attacks and PSU are, but I still don't know why eBid in no longer global.
    For everyone else - I think DDOS = Destructive Denial of Service (I could be wrong about the first word, but it's deffo some form of denial of service attack - think of it like a mega spam attack but designed to totally clog the server and bring it to a grinding halt)

As for the second part of your sentence - I sort of understand why Gazza and Mark did what they did, but still consider it to be overkill - just my opinion mind you.

The proxy redirect comments above are just one reason why blocking doesn't work - I could have used the same re-routing to get back in, but prefer to play by the rules (I like eBid too much to be banned for life )

If the attacks are registration web-bot based, a simple visual verification tool (you know, where you have to type in some scrambled numbers and letters from a random image) is actually the single most effective weapon against those - as I demonstrated for several website clients back in November when the world and its uncle was subjected to automated registration attacks, and forums all over the planet went "pffttt" and closed down under the strain. Doesn't have to cost anything other than 2 minutes of time to install - plenty of free open source scripts available for visual verification tools available from trusted sources.

-----

This is just musing, and totally irrelevant, but .....

G&M could employ me as a listing police inspector (cheaper to employ me while I'm out here) and I could hire locals for 100 quid a month each that are seriously web-savvy with good "Engrish" skills, and we could monitor the site against dodgy listings, knock-offs, and fakes etc. Wouldn't take that much to set up an IT centre out here, at least doing it that way, G&M would have the assurance of a user with eBid experience being in charge of it

What was it Yosser used to say on Boys from the Black Stuff?

"Gizza job - I can do that - gizza job"

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

C'mon Gazza - gizza job

(I'm nothing if not "pestistant")

LOL

Thread Information