eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Price of upgrading

Forum Newbie
    All-About MarkEmsea
    View MarkEmsea's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Price of upgrading

Hi There,

I've had a browse through the forum and couldn't see this issue discussed, apologies if I missed any exsisting thread on the issue.

I'm in the UK and I've been debating in my mind whether or not to get into selling on ebid. When I looked at the prices for upgrading my account I checked out the various international sites and discovered there is no 'exchange rate' with regards to the cost. For example -

£49.99 to upgrade in the UK
    $49.99 in the US (£35.19)
    €49.99 in eurozone nations (£44.90)
    $49.99 in Australia (£22.78)
    $49.99 in New Zealand (£18.21)

It seems that being in the UK is giving a raw deal in upgrading and I wondered if there is anything stopping someone registering on the NZ site and selling through the UK site? It's almost £32 of a difference and I thought it worth asking.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEmsea View Post
    Hi There,

I've had a browse through the forum and couldn't see this issue discussed, apologies if I missed any exsisting thread on the issue.

I'm in the UK and I've been debating in my mind whether or not to get into selling on ebid. When I looked at the prices for upgrading my account I checked out the various international sites and discovered there is no 'exchange rate' with regards to the cost. For example -

It seems that being in the UK is giving a raw deal in upgrading and I wondered if there is anything stopping someone registering on the NZ site and selling through the UK site? It's almost £32 of a difference and I thought it worth asking.

Thanks.
    Yes the thing stopping you registering on the NZ site is the fact that you are in UK where eBid has it's main base and customers. If you think it's a "raw deal" that is your opinion which you are entitled to but I disagree with this opinion.
    eBid is a great place to be and I hope you see through the price differences

Nr. Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View e_nviable's Feedback (+584)
    All-About e_nviable
    View e_nviable's Listings
    Forum Posts

*agrees with raindropsies on this one*

Hello and welcome to eBid

e

Chester - Le - Street, Durham, United Kingdom
    View Armstrongs's Feedback (+1436)
    All-About Armstrongs
    View Armstrongs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi There,

Thanks.
    Hi & a huge welcome to ebid

You have to register on your "home" site, be verified etc.etc.
    It's not so much as the UK is more expensive than the rest.....but the newer, less established sites are discounted to attract more members (hope that makes sense)

If it's any consolation, I paid £100 when I joined.......so £49.99is still somewhat of a bargain

Yvonne x

Look here for Crafty Bits

Find the Beamish Bazaar here!

I'M A YDC SUPPORTER!
    Find eBid's monthly charity auctions HERE on the 24th!

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTheVeryBest View Post

It's not so much as the UK is more expensive than the rest.....but the newer, less established sites are discounted to attract more members (hope that makes sense)

If it's any consolation, I paid £100 when I joined.......so £49.99is still somewhat of a bargain

Yvonne x
    So did I, and it was still a bargain.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi There,

Several. Go to the registration forum, and put "unfair" into the "search this forum" box. That should give you half-a-dozen to be going on with.

Forum Newbie
    All-About MarkEmsea
    View MarkEmsea's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyTheVeryBest View Post

Yvonne x
    Thanks for the response Yvonne.

I did think that one of the reasons for the difference may be down to other countries being less established.

I'm not so sure about it still being a bargain, that would depend on how many sales I generate through the site. To let you understand, I have a HUGE collection of music that I plan to shrink in size, mainly to clear space and to pay for different items for my collection. Some items will make small profit but many will be small losses. When I do my sums, I'd need to sell quite a lot of "small profits" to cover the cost of upgrading. There are other sites that charge per transaction (not ebay btw) that works out around 5 to 25 cents per transaction and are pretty much devoted to music, so the traffic is more focussed.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. I'm still weighing up my options and looking at all the alternatives before jumping in.

One way to look at it is think how long it take to run up a bill of that size on Greedbay and consider this is a lifetime, it makes sense to bite the bullet and make the investment. I'm glad I did.
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi There,

Thanks.
    This has been discussed lots of times and no the uk aren't getting a raw deal. ebdi membership is exceptional value for money - especially in the UK where ebid is most established. All auction sites price differently in different markets - it helps us all if ebid can build up their international presence

Thread Information