Changing electricity supplier
    Changing gas supplier
    Changing Phone supplier
    Installing double glazing

Nor do we want any
    Free newspapers
    Free leaflets or
    Royal mail junk (we opted out)

However today we have had 2 men trying to get us to switch gas, when the notice (thats under the bell) was pointed out they said they could not read. Well if they cannot read how can they read the forms that they carry???

This is not having a pop at those that cannot read, as I know people can do some jobs that don't need you to read.

I wouldve taken their names down and reported them. Im sure thats not the kind of customer service the gas company want to be portraying.
    I used to have a sign on the door similar to what yours said but preprinted. The Avon lady (who is a friend, a neighbour and was my boss in a previous job) knocked and asked if I was referring to her, so she understood the message.(even though I did have to explain it wasnt for people I actually liked!)

I worked for Powergen for a while and never realised it would put me in such good stead for the "we can save you money if you switch" crew. When me or my sons answer the door now be it gas, electric, telephone etc, we just tell them we work for bt, eon, british gas whoever, and they're like "oh right, sorry to have disturbed you"

My son answered the door once to a guy who wanted to speak to the head of the household. He walked in, picked up Charlie our dog, and took him back to the door.
    Guy left.
    LOL

I would definitely put in a complaint though Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    And reading is part of a job?

We have a notice on our door, it says

We are not interested in
    Changing gas supplier
    Changing Phone supplier

Nor do we want any
    Free newspapers
    Free leaflets or

However today we have had 2 men trying to get us to switch gas, when the notice (thats under the bell) was pointed out they said they could not read. Well if they cannot read how can they read the forms that they carry???

This is not having a pop at those that cannot read, as I know people can do some jobs that don't need you to read.
    Most of them don't listen either, ages ago (I think it was before the law was "supposedly" changed) I got woken up by somebody from one of the Gas/Electricity companies wanting me to switch suppliers.
    I must of told him 10 times I wasn't the householder, but he either didn't listen, or didn't understand, & all I wanted was to get back to sleep.
    In the end I just signed his stupid form just to get rid of him. I knew as I wasn't the householder his company COULDN'T make the changes.
    After I'd got some sleep, I contacted his company & made a complaint, but I can understand how his bullying tactics could pressure, the elderly especially, into making changes the'd not had time to consider, & may well have not been in their best interests.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

I know what I would have done...

completed the form for them...with all bogus details

They would have put themselves between a rock & a hard place

After stating they couldn't read...they could hardly complain about your "written details"

Its just them using their bully boy tactics to pressure you into hearing their speach which is memorised from a script. Hubby normally answers the door and when we get callers like that he just simply growls 'we're not interested. Goodbye' and shuts the door - regardless if they're still standing there or not. It may be rude but as has been mentioned - they don't listen, and will keep on insisting so really, we're left with no alternative but to use the same sort of tactics as they do.

And besides, talking to them on the front doorstep lets all the heat out of the house, so instead of saving the householder money, they do in fact cost you money.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

View buffykins's Feedback (+1188)
    All-About buffykins
    View buffykins's Listings
    Forum Posts

I've now started telling those that come knocking the door that I'm the babysitter. They soon go. But I can understand how annoying it is when they can't be bothered to read your notice. It's like they're saying "we've come to the door and we're ruddy going to knock it whether you like it or not!".

Nr. Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View e_nviable's Feedback (+584)
    All-About e_nviable
    View e_nviable's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phanmale View Post
    I wouldve taken their names down and reported them. Im sure thats not the kind of customer service the gas company want to be portraying.
    I used to have a sign on the door similar to what yours said but preprinted. The Avon lady (who is a friend, a neighbour and was my boss in a previous job) knocked and asked if I was referring to her, so she understood the message.(even though I did have to explain it wasnt for people I actually liked!)

I worked for Powergen for a while and never realised it would put me in such good stead for the "we can save you money if you switch" crew. When me or my sons answer the door now be it gas, electric, telephone etc, we just tell them we work for bt, eon, british gas whoever, and they're like "oh right, sorry to have disturbed you"

My son answered the door once to a guy who wanted to speak to the head of the household. He walked in, picked up Charlie our dog, and took him back to the door.
    Guy left.
    LOL

I would definitely put in a complaint though Sarah
    I'm going to try THAT one next time Thank you !

e
    (whose Yorkie Terror is also named Charlie)

Quote Originally Posted by e_nviable View Post
    I'm going to try THAT one next time Thank you !

e
    (whose Yorkie Terror is also named Charlie)
    You wouldnt believe the things that happen at my doorstep with my lunatic family!

Like the time we had Christmas Carol singers singing their little hearts out, then one of my boys asked if he could sing one back so that they would give *him* some money......

LOL - im properly laughing just thinking about it!! How sad is that!!

Forum Saint
    View Cocksparrer's Feedback (+424)
    All-About Cocksparrer
    View Cocksparrer's Listings
    Forum Posts

What you can do is contact Trading standards advise them of the bully tactics from certain companies but you would need that persons details IE : Name company & preferably their card/badge number they have to have on their ID cards.

When I get these peeps at my door I tell them to **** ***, but I do enjoy it when the Jehovas come round, I keep telling them im the reincarnate and they get all fussy & try to console me, now why console the reincarnate of the DEVIL !!!!

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies2 View Post
    And reading is part of a job?

We have a notice on our door, it says

We are not interested in
    Changing gas supplier
    Changing Phone supplier

Nor do we want any
    Free newspapers
    Free leaflets or

UGH? Wots dis Thread Bout I cant read!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Thread Information