eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paying Fees with Credit Card Additional Chgs

Forum Newbie
    All-About sasswbe
    View sasswbe's Listings
    Forum Posts

Angry Paying Fees with Credit Card Additional Chgs

People paying there eBid fees with a Visa or Master Card may find the following on there next bill plus additional charges: International Txn Fee. Visa and Master Card are now charging a fee to process International Payments. I don't understand why eBid has an address that sellers can send a check or money order to in Florida but yet they process the fees we pay in the US through an International site so we get charged more. When I signed up here I signed up for the US site and since they listed the Florida address I assumed I would also be billed from a location there. But that is not true. So everytime they bill me because it is an International Bank it sets off an alert scam alarm with the credit card company so the company then calls me to inform me and I then have to call my bank and my bank in turn has to call the credit card company. Allot of headaches. I would think if a company wants to do business in the US I would think they should have a US banking account. In my opinion to many headaches and especially for the very few sales here.

And what did eBid say when you emailed them about this and asked their opinion?

I remember seeing a similar post a week or so ago ...
    I would contact the bank and ask about it...
    Did you use a credit card or a check or an online third party (middle man) to process the payment?

Leslie

Forum Newbie
    All-About sasswbe
    View sasswbe's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    And what did eBid say when you emailed them about this and asked their opinion?
    Said they would check into it. But I pulled all my auction cause until one knows for sure what is going on and HOW MUCH you are going to get charged I'm not about to take a chance.

Forum Newbie
    All-About sasswbe
    View sasswbe's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crochetdoilies View Post
    I remember seeing a similar post a week or so ago ...
    I would contact the bank and ask about it...
    Did you use a credit card or a check or an online third party (middle man) to process the payment?

Sorry if it's a repeat post but I don't usually come to the board. Just thought people should know they might have an extra charge on their credit car.

I did contact the bank and that how I found out all the information I stated in my first post. And I used a credit card as stated in the first post. I was talking about Visa and Master cards - credit cards.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

I think it's valuable information. One person seeing this behaviour could have been a fluke, but two people seeing the same problem suggests ebid need to investigate it pronto before all their US sellers start getting charged with extra fees. As the OP says, it's not just the money it's the inconvience. Definitely has to be looked into and the position clarified. eBid aren't responsible for decisions the US banks make (just as well these days ) but they are responsible for keeping their own customers informed, and adjusting to meet changing circumstances so that they continue to provide good service.

Quote Originally Posted by sasswbe View Post
    People paying there eBid fees with a Visa or Master Card may find the following on there next bill plus additional charges: International Txn Fee. Visa and Master Card are now charging a fee to process International Payments. I don't understand why eBid has an address that sellers can send a check or money order to in Florida but yet they process the fees we pay in the US through an International site so we get charged more. When I signed up here I signed up for the US site and since they listed the Florida address I assumed I would also be billed from a location there. But that is not true. So everytime they bill me because it is an International Bank it sets off an alert scam alarm with the credit card company so the company then calls me to inform me and I then have to call my bank and my bank in turn has to call the credit card company. Allot of headaches. I would think if a company wants to do business in the US I would think they should have a US banking account. In my opinion to many headaches and especially for the very few sales here.
    I had written in about being charged a $1.39 foreign currency fee, which I at first thought it was by my bank, but since it appeared in my debit area of my statement, it appeared it was a debit paid to "Ebid Ltd Byfleet", just as the $49.99 lifetime subscription payment appeared. After some calls to my bank, I indeed did find out that my bank charged me 2% of the amount debited on this payment and Mastercard charged me .8, but they can charge up to 1%, and that does add up to $1.39.

I got an email from eBid when I questioned just what you are saying about having an address in Florida, as I figured they would have a U.S. bank to do U.S. collecting. They said that Netbanx is their payment provider and has a U.S. correspondent bank and no foreign currency fees should be charged. Netbanx said my $49.99 was taken from my card in U.S. funds. It appears that Fleet is this correspondent bank, and they may have taken my money out in U.S. funds, but rather than depositing in a U.S. bank (so that eBid could later transfer to the UK), they just sent it directly to the UK, and I guess that is why I was charged the foreign currency fee. ??? I believe more banks will be doing the same as they try to get every nickel and dime they can.

No one else has mentioned anything like this until I read yours. The good news is that even if this continues to happen, it is only 3% that my bank and Mastercard will take, so on a 30 cent fee, it would be like one cent. I still think this situation stinks, and that eBid should have explained all this, but if this is how it works that eBid is using Netbanx and their U.S. correspondent bank, I am sure eBid must be paying for this so-called service, so EBID IS BEING RIPPED-OFF. Maybe they will figure this out sometime.

I don't use any "extras" other than gallery for which they charge 2% of final value fee if sold. I was worried that I would keep being charged the $1.39 amount anytime I owed eBid even on a 10 cent fee like I currently have as I just sold my first item in a month's time and 100 listings with eBid. If that was the case that 10 cent charge would come to $1.49, which is one-third of what I sold the item for. I got my statement from eBid saying the 10 cents would be debited, so I don't know if my bank and Mastercard will take a penny each or what, we will see. It is too bad no matter what site you try, things can't run smoothly--really frustrating. Glad you wrote in.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

" It appears that Fleet is this correspondent bank,"

Just a minor point of information, in case it helps. "Byfleet" is not a typo for "By Fleet", it's a place in Surrey, UK, and it's where eBid is registered.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    " It appears that Fleet is this correspondent bank,"

Just a minor point of information, in case it helps. "Byfleet" is not a typo for "By Fleet", it's a place in Surrey, UK, and it's where eBid is registered.
    That is VERY interesting. It then appears that this place in the UK debited my $49.99 directly to the UK. Where does eBids Netbanx's foreign correspondent bank come in, I wonder. I guess this so-called U.S. bank doesn't exist?? I have seen 2 more people saying in the forums that they have been charged foreign currency fees. One never realized she was being charged, but decided to check, and sure enough. Thanks for your input.

Forum Newbie
    All-About WorldwideGameDepot
    View WorldwideGameDepot's Listings
    Forum Posts

It really stinks to have to pay international fees reducing profits!

Thread Information