Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Tapes Sell

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I honestly thought it was legal as long as I owned the tape at the time I owned it! I wonder if it's legal to give the tapes to charity? I'll have to check out the laws. Otherwise, put them in a dark corner forever.
    I don't think charities will be able to sell copies legally either, they're likely to be sold as used blank tapes if at all (that is a bit of a grey area one could argue over - 'sold as blank', though it's probably still illegal in the law books and I certainly wouldn't try it in any online auctions).

It's like the old favourite I keep seeing in online auctions - a computer loaded with software but no original licenses or media - completely illegal. If the seller makes no mention of the contents of the hard drive but there happens to be lots of software installed (without physical media or licenses included, which are sometimes non-transferable anyway) then I believe it becomes the buyer's moral dilemma as to whether or not they delete it.

If you wish to remain 100% legal then just record over or destroy copies you no longer own the originals for, or you could re-acquire originals (e.g. legal downloads from an online music store), but to be honest I don't think anyone's going to come knocking on your door to check.
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 19th April 2009 at 03:33 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

I've only sold two tapes and hadn't copied either (not to my taste). I've deleted the listings for the ones I copied.

It sounds as though I have to keep the tapes forever to make my copies legal. Probably can't even throw them away.

Thread Information