I know that many of you will find this bit of information very interesting. The simple rule is still "If it's to good to be true, it often is".

Aside from the fake TAYLORMADES/CALLAWAYS and other high end equipment being sold on auction sites, the buyer now has another fraudulent element to deal with.

The fraudsters have kept one step ahead of the naive buyer, and are now counterfeiting serial numbers.

There has been so much stress regarding serial numbers that the fraudsters have simply copied legitimate numbers on the fake clubs. Here's how it works:

The manufacturing companies keep track of their inventory with serial numbers. The information that the serial number tracks is what type of club it should pertain to. For example, let's say a club (for this example Callaway FT-I) has a serial number of XXXXXX. You contact a Callaway representative or customer service and ask them to verify the serial number XXXXXX. They punch the serial number into their computer and they advise that yes, the serial number is associated to a Callaway FT-I driver. They can't tell you much more than that. Makes sense doesn't it???

As long as they have a valid serial number from an authentic club, they can mass produce the same driver all with the same serial number. The fraudster futher masks the fraudulent serial with a fake hosel sticker that appears legitimate for registering the product with the company. Just one problem after reading the entire sticker: It's not a North American club and therefore can't be registered in North America. It's all BS. They have to put that on b/c product registration will not work. The club is not recognized as belonging in the North American market.

The second biggest scam that is starting to surface is that the fake clubs are being advertised as gently used. Makes sense from a behavioural science perspective on buying behaviour. Buyers are so worried about buying new items at low cost b/c of the fear of receiving a fake club. The buyer feels more comfortable buying gently used items. There is a false sense of security that a slightly used item must be authentic. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. New or slightly used, It's either authentic or not.

Another Problem! Sellers are so eager to advertise the serial number. The intention is to prove that the club is legitimate however, the negative side to this is that it helps the bad guy out too. Auctions are being reviewed daily by the fraudsters. The goal is to acquire serial numbers for their fake clubs. Many smart sellers are now withholding that information from the auction page. If a buyer is insisting on a serial number, simply advise that you will guarantee the item as authentic or you'll refund them the purchase. If you can't guarantee them that, you shouldn't be selling the item as authentic.

The last thing I have to share is this final question. It's advice that has been shared by many writers. How can a seller sell the same item over and over and over again with what seems to be an endless supply????

I recently checked out some major manufacturing websites. It appears that they are working hard to combat the ever growing problem of fake club selling. Many sites now have sections where you can report ebay user names who have sold fraudulent items. They are all listed for public viewing and some are now starting to list fraudulent serial numbers. So, If you have ever dealt with someone who has sold fake items, then help others by considering to offer the information to these websites. I would also recomend all buyers from reviewing the list of known fraudsters.

Updated literature also advises that in order to avoid being scammed with a fake item, REFRAIN from buying heads only! Especially if Name brand and new! The golf companies do not practice selling heads, they sell the entire contstucted product. There has been a rise in head only auctions and many are advertised as TOUR heads, ASIAN model, FROM THE TOUR VAN, and the list goes on.

If people continue to buy and support from dishonest sellers, they will continue to exist and will continue to sell.

So the next time you are about to buy that Genuine Brand New TaylorMade,Callaway, Etc for a mere 125.00, do everyone a favour and give yourself a "Wake up" smack to the side of the head. If you insist on being naive, don't come back crying when you find out that your club is a fake. No one will be listening.