eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the new law on bank charges?

Default What is the new law on bank charges?

I thought something had been passed recently about outrageous bank charges?

I had a direct debit bounce last month - twice!!!

I have written to them but they are refusing to refund!

Thanks x
    For personalised pop art, visit my shop: http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Happy-Brushstrokes

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

You know what we think may be unlawfull to what is actually lawfull are two different things,

check this site out, i think it is really good am claiming back PPI that the bank told my son he had to have when he got his loan,.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/
    Last edited by shezz; 12th May 2009 at 09:15 AM.
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Forum Saint
    View papagran40's Feedback (+261)
    All-About papagran40
    View papagran40's Listings
    Forum Posts

HI Raz , I think in a case like this ...if you have suffecient funds .....you should go into the bank....not write ....get a hold of someone and demand an explanation.....get the manager in the main part of the bank and raise Cain . !!!!! .....they will tell you what is wrong.........papa.

£30 for a bounced direct debit!!!! I tried to cancel it before it went through but internet banking was unavailable. How the hell can they justify £30 to send a letter!
    For personalised pop art, visit my shop: http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Happy-Brushstrokes

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz View Post
    £30 for a bounced direct debit!!!! I tried to cancel it before it went through but internet banking was unavailable. How the hell can they justify £30 to send a letter!
    You are so right, it's disgusting. My bank charge £35.
    About a year or so ago my son claimed back his bank charges from the Woolwich, he got nearly £800.00 of bank charges he had paid over 6 years back.
    We got all the templates & stuff we needed to do it through some site (can't remember the name), but we found it through
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

Jane

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Raz

I dont't know if you checked out the link I posted up above, but click on this link

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...58812593&pp=25

You can claim back bank charges but have a nosey first as i've not looked into it, but reading some of the posts, i remember using the site about PPI, and even found a template of a letter that Martin Lewis (think it was him) had drafted up
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

hi, a great site i'm a member of is

the consumer action group

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

you have to join (it's free) in order to use their templates for letters and to post questions etc

but through them

Total Bank Charges Returned : £17,500,569 to 10384 people.

I have a new banner showing, go on click the pic take a look, you know you want to.
    And I've finally listed more things!!!

New Stores
    Click to see Akitas Books and all Things Readable

Akita's for Allsorts
    open for business

I have the same ID on the other site, please feel free to check out my feedback there.

UK Auction Help - Fair Trader Scheme

Click here to join or upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by razamakaz View Post
    I think they charge for the ink used, the time due to prove reading the letter, the signature, the envelope and the cost of the postage.

However from what I've heard recently the case against the bank charges is currently going through the courts and if found to be unfair banks will have to repay thousands of pounds back to ex-customers.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

I've been having headache with my bank lately too. I miscalculated last month and ended up overdrawn for two days (i.e. a weekend) by £4.78. My fault, I hold my hands up, when I realised I had made a mistake, I knew I would cop for a £22 overdraft charge.

The problem was that the bank never told me when the overdraft would be taken out of my account.

Sooo, this morning, I get a letter dated 13th May, telling me they have charged me £22 for the overdraft on that very day. Except because they hadn't told me beforehand, and I try to budget down to the last penny, the £22 overdraft charge has - yes - made me overdrawn, this time by £6.52. So their overdraft fee has made me overdrawn, grrr, meaning I am now going to have another £22 overdraft charge added to my account at some point in the next few weeks about which they may or may not tell me before they take it from my account and may make me overdrawn yet another time. So, so far I have been billed and will be billed in just a few short weeks, a total of £66 for one accidentally overdrawn amount of £4.78, the other two overdraft charges coming because their first two overdraft charges have made me overdrawn in the first place. Talk about a no-win situation... Needless to say, they have got a snotty letter that will be posted out tomorrow. I pointed out that even doorstep lenders/loan sharks have a better rate of interest than the bank, and even they wouldn't charge up to £66 charges in under two months on an amount of £4.78.

I hold my hands up and say yes, it was my fault I miscalculated and got landed with the first overdraft charge, but the fact I have ended up overdrawn a second, and now a third time, because the bank didn't tell me when they were taking the overdraft charge, nor how much it would be for, and it has made things much worse.

Same thing has happened with my other account - got landed with bank charges because the bank paid a standing order - to them - for my car loan two days before it was even due, whilst at the same time, my child support was held up in their banking system for nine days. They were really snotty with me but then reluctantly decided this week to waive the charges as a "goodwill" gesture - a very grudging gesture without much goodwill it would appear from reading their letter.

Quote Originally Posted by MadcatwomanEnterprises View Post
    I've been having headache with my bank lately too. I miscalculated last month and ended up overdrawn for two days (i.e. a weekend) by £4.78. My fault, I hold my hands up, when I realised I had made a mistake, I knew I would cop for a £22 overdraft charge.

The problem was that the bank never told me when the overdraft would be taken out of my account.

Sooo, this morning, I get a letter dated 13th May, telling me they have charged me £22 for the overdraft on that very day. Except because they hadn't told me beforehand, and I try to budget down to the last penny, the £22 overdraft charge has - yes - made me overdrawn, this time by £6.52. So their overdraft fee has made me overdrawn, grrr, meaning I am now going to have another £22 overdraft charge added to my account at some point in the next few weeks about which they may or may not tell me before they take it from my account and may make me overdrawn yet another time. So, so far I have been billed and will be billed in just a few short weeks, a total of £66 for one accidentally overdrawn amount of £4.78, the other two overdraft charges coming because their first two overdraft charges have made me overdrawn in the first place. Talk about a no-win situation... Needless to say, they have got a snotty letter that will be posted out tomorrow. I pointed out that even doorstep lenders/loan sharks have a better rate of interest than the bank, and even they wouldn't charge up to £66 charges in under two months on an amount of £4.78.

I hold my hands up and say yes, it was my fault I miscalculated and got landed with the first overdraft charge, but the fact I have ended up overdrawn a second, and now a third time, because the bank didn't tell me when they were taking the overdraft charge, nor how much it would be for, and it has made things much worse.

Same thing has happened with my other account - got landed with bank charges because the bank paid a standing order - to them - for my car loan two days before it was even due, whilst at the same time, my child support was held up in their banking system for nine days. They were really snotty with me but then reluctantly decided this week to waive the charges as a "goodwill" gesture - a very grudging gesture without much goodwill it would appear from reading their letter.
    What bank you with? I find the Co-operative are very helpful when it comes to bank charges.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

Thread Information