Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Jewellery

Default Gold Jewellery

How can you tell if its real gold and what is classed as real Gold?
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET
    27hours 30minutes without sleep

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

Each country has different rules. As you're in the UK, you're have protection when buying gold via The UK Hallmarks Act 1973.

Here's some (very basic) info regarding gold buying in the UK, as far as I understand it anyway!:

In the UK there are four 'finesses' of legally recognised gold - 9ct....14ct....18ct.....22ct.

All gold over 1g must be properly hallmarked at an Assay Office (ie, Edinburgh, Sheffield, London or Birmingham) before it can be sold here. A hallmark is a series of tiny stamps on the gold. They are:

~An Assay Office mark (anchor/ lions head/ rose or a castle). Older gold has other Assay office marks too - they tend to be symbols like this.

~A Finesse mark (if it's 9ct gold then the finesse is '375', sometimes shown inside tiny scales),

~A date letter (optional in brand new gold).
    ~A Makers Mark (usually initials).
    Sometimes there is a crown, though newer gold doesn't always show this.

These marks guarantee that the gold you buy is the real deal

Beware of simple '9k' or '18k' stamps on gold, without the Assay Office mark. Anyone can buy these 'punch stamps' over the internet and stamp metal with them.

A simple '9K' stamp on its own, without the Assay Office hallmark is not legally recognised, and it can be illegal for a UK based seller to offer for sale/ describe any item as 9ct/ 14ct etc gold over 1g without an Assay Office Hallmark in Britain.

Any UK based seller offering/ describing an item as 10K gold in Britain is breaking the law - 10k gold is not recognised here.

Breaking the law regarding gold in the UK is a criminal offence, and you can be fined or jailed (and it does happen).

There are some exceptions to these rules (mainly regarding describing antique gold, or old finesse marks such as 15ct gold etc).

If you see any gold you're interested in always ask the seller about the hallmarks. There is a lot of fake gold on the internet (stamped with a simple '9k' or 18k or '375'. If a seller tells you that a simple eg '9k' stamped is a proper hallmark (especially if the jewellery is new) they can get into a lot of trouble.

The above info is my interpritation of the Act only, note to be used instead of any legal advise!

You can download the Hallmarks Act from any Assay Office Website, or you can always email any Assay Office for help. They are very helpful & friendly, and respond quickly too .

Hope this is of some help. If you'd like more specific info just ask . And sorry for long post

Forum Diehard
    View islandbuckman's Feedback (+192)
    All-About islandbuckman
    View islandbuckman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Smile Hope tis helps

Most gold jewelry is stamped with a hallmark noting the jewelry's karat weight, such as 10k, 14k, etc. However, not having the hallmark doesn't always mean that the gold is fake. Taking the piece to a reputable jeweler is the only foolproof way to verify whether or not a piece of jewelry is real gold, but there are some tricks you can try at home that can be accurate if done correctly.
    Make a light scratch on the piece of jewelry with a small file. Pick a spot on the jewelry that will not be noticeable so you can still have the option to wear it if you should choose. Using a dropper, apply a drop of nitric acid on the scratch you made on the jewelry. If nothing happens, the piece is likely real gold. If you see green, you are likely dealing with a base metal or or a gold-plated piece of jewelry. If what you see is a milky substance, then you likely have a piece of jewelry that is gold over sterling silver.
    Apply liquid foundation in a small area on your arm. Layer it with powder makeup. Rub the jewelry against the spot. If you see a mark, then likely you have a real gold piece of jewelry. If you see nothing, then the piece is likely fake.
    Drop the piece of jewelry in question into a jug almost filled with water. Gold should be heavy. If it sinks, that is a good sign that it could be real gold. If the piece floats, then it is probably fake.
    Take your piece of jewelry to a reputable jewelry dealer. They are equipped with testing kits that can determine whether or not the piece is real gold. Some jewelry stores will charge you a small fee for this service, but it is foolproof if that is what you want. Unfortunately, even a jeweler is not going to be able to tell if a piece of jewelry is real gold just by looking at it.

View Opis's Feedback (+664)
    All-About Opis
    View Opis's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you've just got some jewellery you think may be gold (and it isn't hallmarked) then like the previous post said you could use the acid test, probably the most reliable for amatuer testing. Google 'gold acid test' . A basic gold tester will cost around a tenner for a small bottle, and comes with instructions.

Was the opening question a general query, or is it about a real object? .

(I'm just being nosey lol )

View minkyrra's Feedback (+1752)
    All-About minkyrra
    View minkyrra's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Opis View Post
    Each country has different rules. As you're in the UK, you're have protection when buying gold via The UK Hallmarks Act 1973.

Here's some (very basic) info regarding gold buying in the UK, as far as I understand it anyway!:

In the UK there are four 'finesses' of legally recognised gold - 9ct....14ct....18ct.....22ct.

All gold over 1g must be properly hallmarked at an Assay Office (ie, Edinburgh, Sheffield, London or Birmingham) before it can be sold here. A hallmark is a series of tiny stamps on the gold. They are:

~An Assay Office mark (anchor/ lions head/ rose or a castle). Older gold has other Assay office marks too - they tend to be symbols like this.

~A Finesse mark (if it's 9ct gold then the finesse is '375', sometimes shown inside tiny scales),

~A date letter (optional in brand new gold).
    ~A Makers Mark (usually initials).
    Sometimes there is a crown, though newer gold doesn't always show this.

These marks guarantee that the gold you buy is the real deal

Beware of simple '9k' or '18k' stamps on gold, without the Assay Office mark. Anyone can buy these 'punch stamps' over the internet and stamp metal with them.

A simple '9K' stamp on its own, without the Assay Office hallmark is not legally recognised, and it can be illegal for a UK based seller to offer for sale/ describe any item as 9ct/ 14ct etc gold over 1g without an Assay Office Hallmark in Britain.

Any UK based seller offering/ describing an item as 10K gold in Britain is breaking the law - 10k gold is not recognised here.

Breaking the law regarding gold in the UK is a criminal offence, and you can be fined or jailed (and it does happen).

There are some exceptions to these rules (mainly regarding describing antique gold, or old finesse marks such as 15ct gold etc).

If you see any gold you're interested in always ask the seller about the hallmarks. There is a lot of fake gold on the internet (stamped with a simple '9k' or 18k or '375'. If a seller tells you that a simple eg '9k' stamped is a proper hallmark (especially if the jewellery is new) they can get into a lot of trouble.

The above info is my interpritation of the Act only, note to be used instead of any legal advise!

You can download the Hallmarks Act from any Assay Office Website, or you can always email any Assay Office for help. They are very helpful & friendly, and respond quickly too .

Hope this is of some help. If you'd like more specific info just ask . And sorry for long post

Hi there

Reading this was interesting esp about a date letter being optional in brand new gold

How old is brand new? lol

It is just I have a ring here that I bought a few years ago and am trying to work out what year it was made but can not find a year mark. I bought it second hand so am clueless

It has a makers mark, 375 between two scales and then 375 without the scales then a box which we are in debate over if it is a cat head or a shield of sorts... but then nothing more

the only reason i can find for something not having a year letter is if it was made in a special year and it would then heave a symbol representing it

but cant find anything like that unless it is in the disputed cat head/sheild box.

... however if that is the year mark, then where is the assay office mark lol

if anyone knows about this stuff or thinks they can help, pm me or reply here. I am currently trying to take some pics incase that helps

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by islandbuckman View Post
    Most gold jewelry is stamped with a hallmark noting the jewelry's karat weight, such as 10k, 14k, etc. However, not having the hallmark doesn't always mean that the gold is fake. Taking the piece to a reputable jeweler is the only foolproof way to verify whether or not a piece of jewelry is real gold, but there are some tricks you can try at home that can be accurate if done correctly.
    Make a light scratch on the piece of jewelry with a small file. Pick a spot on the jewelry that will not be noticeable so you can still have the option to wear it if you should choose. Using a dropper, apply a drop of nitric acid on the scratch you made on the jewelry. If nothing happens, the piece is likely real gold. If you see green, you are likely dealing with a base metal or or a gold-plated piece of jewelry. If what you see is a milky substance, then you likely have a piece of jewelry that is gold over sterling silver.
    Apply liquid foundation in a small area on your arm. Layer it with powder makeup. Rub the jewelry against the spot. If you see a mark, then likely you have a real gold piece of jewelry. If you see nothing, then the piece is likely fake.
    Drop the piece of jewelry in question into a jug almost filled with water. Gold should be heavy. If it sinks, that is a good sign that it could be real gold. If the piece floats, then it is probably fake.
    Take your piece of jewelry to a reputable jewelry dealer. They are equipped with testing kits that can determine whether or not the piece is real gold. Some jewelry stores will charge you a small fee for this service, but it is foolproof if that is what you want. Unfortunately, even a jeweler is not going to be able to tell if a piece of jewelry is real gold just by looking at it.
    And if it is missing hallmarks it might be US or other manufacturer? Ours is marked with 14K 18K but not whether it is plated, solid, has sterling center etc. Another confusing system!? Do they make this so confusing on purpose?

Forum Lurker
    View sovereignman's Feedback (+16)
    All-About sovereignman
    View sovereignman's Listings
    Forum Posts

I go to estate sales and buy jewelry, i have been doing this for a number of years. i also ran a small jewelry shop in an antique mall for a number of years. make sure that if you as a buyer are concerned about your purchase
    that you get a guarantee in writing on the gold content of an item. On estate items I check the gold content if I do not know the makers mark before listing the item. Now I do mostly watch repair and some limited jewelry making. I love the older jewelry styles. Modern has it place as well.

Sorry I forgot about this post, what it was in regards to was I've a gianni ricci watch bought from price-drop tv in 2008, they claimed it was 9ct gold, went along to the gold bar to get it checked out and they confirmed it was gold, went to cash for gold and they said its not gold.
    Don't walk in front of me..I may not follow-don't walk behind me..I may not lead-just walk beside me and be my friend.
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

The places buying scrap often pull a scam of saying your stuff isn't - but notice they still want it - only CHEAP

If it is genuine Ricci it is likely gold, if marked as such

9 carat cannot be considered gold in any country other than Great Britain
    Last edited by terry5732; 1st February 2010 at 03:19 AM.
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Thanks Terry, I assume its a genuine gianni ricci watch as it has the name and I've the warranty for it. around the face has diamantes
    Albert Camus

PERSONAL RECORD SET

Thread Information