eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobber parts helping to ruin the big guys?

Default Jobber parts helping to ruin the big guys?

Hello everyone. Do you think all the outfits making "jobber" car parts have added to the problems facing the big car makers? No one wants to buy a fake purse or illegal software. Most are happy to buy a "jobber" part for their car though. Usually half price of the original part. How about they make any jobber part or a copy of anything illegal? It would bring jobs back to North America I think. Food for thought.

I supose it depends on the parts and their quality. I was at my Toyota dealer last week and got my brakes done, including rotors for front as they were worn. Dealer stocks Toyota parts and generic ones, in my case I saved $6 by going generic. Good way to keep customers who want cheaper choices and yet know they are properly installed and good quality by the dealer.

Never knew that, ya learn something new every day!

View harold69's Feedback (+369)
    All-About harold69
    View harold69's Listings
    Forum Posts

I delivered a lot of aftermarket parts to dealerships over the years, they sold them as OEM parts and never looked back. Done it cause they were available to them fast, and didn't have to stock them. And of course, aftermarket parts prices are a lot cheaper than OEM parts.

Hello. The point I was trying to make that if altenative parts were not avaliable the parent company would have gained. Stealing technology and design is big business. They even have caught spy's that have stolen from the space program. China's space shuttle looks identical to the USA one.

Ex Boeing Engineer convicted of spying for China
    Last edited by canuckbid; 24th July 2009 at 06:09 PM.

If you have ever done any reaserch the list of "knockoff" products is staggering. Right from Duracell batteries, purses, phones, software you name it. Most will not even know they have bought one unless they are aware. It's broke many a business with all these replica's. People always want to save money but it has a long term affect for the economy also. The thiefs get richer and the honest peiple get burned. Buying at some of these super stores also is supporting child/slave labour in other countries. People really do not give a cr*p. All they think about is their wallet and how much they saved. So drive your import cars and feel good about it. I for one when it comes to big purchase's buy something built in North America. I really do not care if "their" product is better either. My neighbor in the USA or Canada needs a job.
    Last edited by canuckbid; 24th July 2009 at 06:25 PM.

I used to work for Nissan. Counterfeit parts are a problem not only because they take income away from the legitimate manufacturers (not always the automaker), but because they are often of inferior quality and dangerous.

The customer has to ask for genuine parts, and get the shop to sign a paper that guarantees it. If any mechanic had ever refused to sign, I would have taken my car somewhere else. It's true they cost more than the fakes, but I think my life is worth it.

Forum Newbie
    Cheltenham Spa, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    All-About turbocomp
    View turbocomp's Listings
    Forum Posts

You should never pay main dealer prices in any circumstance.

I sell genuine new Turbochargers & Aircon Compressors at often half the price of dealerships.

They try and justify the doubled price by listing their overheads.

Utter nonsense.

Turbochargers> http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Turbocharg...on-Compressors

Quote Originally Posted by turbocomp View Post
    You should never pay main dealer prices in any circumstance.

I sell genuine new Turbochargers & Aircon Compressors at often half the price of dealerships.

They try and justify the doubled price by listing their overheads.

Utter nonsense.

Turbochargers> http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Turbocharg...on-Compressors
    I agree. I suppose Toyota sells the generics just to keep buyers from going elsewhere. But discounting their prices on their Toyota prices would have also done the trick too.

The greed is astonishing in the auto industry. Months ago General Motors closed many dealerships across the country. Dealers in our area in business for 30 or 40 years were given a week's notice to clear out! Then old GM goes on feebay and is selling cars directly in California. Clever idea, all GM mechanics, salespeople, clerks are in the unemployment line, GM is selling direct to public with plans to go nationwide.

Well what goes around comes around, and the little feebay caper failed. Very poor sales, so GM pulled out. Not sure what they are going to do now, but all of the GM dealerships are still empty here.

And damage is done. Milwaukee relies heavily on industry, many local people were laid off from companies that produce auto parts.

I don't degrudge anyone making a living, but when the parts dealers make 1000% or go to China and cut their costs in half again, and still have a big markup, that is just greed.

Parkgate Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View MHTTrading's Feedback (+3556)
    All-About MHTTrading
    View MHTTrading's Listings
    Forum Posts

Many years ago I worked for TOYODA who made parts for... yes you guessed it TOYOTA, although we also made parts for Honda.

The parts we made were the rubber door and window seals for the Yaris, Avensis, and Corolla, and were shipped out to the assembly plants in France and Turkey.

While most of the parts were in bulk ready for the assembly lines some were packaged ready for sale to the public. What I found really strange was that just down the road was a Toyota dealership but if they wanted replacement seals for a customer the dealer had to order them via France.

No wonder there was a delay in the customer getting the parts, I bet the customer would have been flipping annoyed if they realised they were made only a few yards down the road.

We did have several people wanting to buy the rejects from the production runs, no doubt with the intention of selling them on, obviously they were refused
    Last edited by act; 9th December 2009 at 02:29 AM.

Forum Newbie
    Choppington, Northumberland, United Kingdom
    All-About dontpayagarage
    View dontpayagarage's Listings
    Forum Posts

- For some older vehicles the only parts you get are generic remember, so without them, those vehicles would be off the road. Also, if the big guys didn't rip people off, there'd be no market for generics. Some genuine part prices are just absolutely crazy.

Thread Information