Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire trick

Default Tire trick

An old trick when a tire shop is not close by. Sometimes it's really hard to get the bead set on a tire to inflate it. Especially when it's cold. Spray abit of ether or combustible liquid into the inside of the tire. Quickly throw a match or burning paper and with a big WOOF it will blow the tire out to the side of the rim and make it set so you can inflate the tire. Do not get carried away with how much you spray into the tire.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cyber Mechanic to the rescue! I told Mark about this and plan to stand well away from the action if he ever needs to do this.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

This sounds really scary

About the worse thing that can happen is you might get your eyebrows singed abit if you stand too close and use too much flammable liquid.
    If you have ever worked in the cold or with big tires, this trick is a sure way of getting the job done. I have done it several times with success.

For the mechanics. Need to shrink a bushing to install it? Forget about putting it in the deepfreeze over night. Drip abit of propane onto the bushing and it is so cold that the bushing shrinks and installs easily.

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Mark whacked into the line with a machete, so the LP is nice and handy now

You know, we watched "The Red Green Show" one time last month and it actually frightened me to view it in his company. He regards the handyman projects as fact, not fiction
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pearlygirl555 View Post
    Mark whacked into the line with a machete, so the LP is nice and handy now

You know, we watched "The Red Green Show" one time last month and it actually frightened me to view it in his company. He regards the handyman projects as fact, not fiction
    Now I'm picturing Mark as looking like Harold, Red's nephew (is that the right name?)

edit: Mike: thanks for the suggestions. They do sound like fun except I have yet to need to put a tire in a rim. I will give your suggestions the first chance that i get, to the person having trouble! They might think I'm a untutored genius.
    Last edited by TexasAda; 19th June 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Red Green "If you can't be handsome then you better be handy" lol
    These are both tricks that actually work. I find using a 20lb propane tank and cracking the valve open a little works better than chopping into a propane line. (you turn the tank upside down so liquid propane drips out instead of blowing vapour) These tricks apply to working on equipment which alot of forum users will never see. For example trying to install walking bushings into a heavy duty suspension is where the shrinking of the bushings comes in handy. If you have never done it you can not understand how difficult it can be. Also you brits will never see 40 below but at the temperature you can pack propane in a bucket.

Forum Diehard
    View islandbuckman's Feedback (+192)
    All-About islandbuckman
    View islandbuckman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canuckbid View Post
    Red Green "If you can't be handsome then you better be handy" lol
    These are both tricks that actually work. I find using a 20lb propane tank and cracking the valve open a little works better than chopping into a propane line. (you turn the tank upside down so liquid propane drips out instead of blowing vapour) These tricks apply to working on equipment which alot of forum users will never see. For example trying to install walking bushings into a heavy duty suspension is where the shrinking of the bushings comes in handy. If you have never done it you can not understand how difficult it can be. Also you brits will never see 40 below but at the temperature you can pack propane in a bucket.

Only in Canada!!

View TexasAda's Feedback (+635)
    All-About TexasAda
    View TexasAda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by canuckbid View Post
    40 below...you can pack propane in a bucket.
    I don't doubt you but I am laughing my guts out

Thread Information