eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Question for the Vinyl Gurus

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Question for the Vinyl Gurus

Hello Vinyl Gurus!

I'm wondering what a reasonable starting price would be for these little biddies, they've seen some use and the covers are a little tatty but the records themselves are fine.

The United States of America, main personnel are Joe Byrd, Rand Forbes, Craig Woodson, Dorothy Moskowitz, and Gordon Marron. Columbia Records 1968.

The American Metaphysical Circus by Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies, main personnel are Joe Byrd, Ted Greene, John Clauder, Gregg Kovner. Columbia Records, 1969.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Newbie
    Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    View christanik's Feedback (+11)
    All-About christanik
    View christanik's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up

Greetings, pearlygirl555,

Not really my field, but I have heard music from Joe Byrd and take a passing interest in his psychedelic outings, he is alleged to have studied under John Cage.

United States of America originally came with a slip on 'brown bag' cover over the card sleeve, that particular version has sold in the region of 200 USD. However, I notice your copy appears to have some writing on it - could this be a signature?

GARDEN OF EARTHLY DELIGHTS was issued as a single on UK CBS 3745 in 1968 and I've seen it sell for 15 - 20 USD both issues were NM

'American Metaphysical Circus' has sold for 90 USD for a VG++ copy.

Incidently, I believe he is still teaching.

Anyhow - Good luck, I am sure you will develop some interest.

Cheers,
    The Soul Sleuth.

TBH I would not have a clue, But what I would say is make sure you have USA in shipping options,

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Thanks for your suggestions

The writing on the one album is where my beau wrote his name on it. He doesn't recall having the sleeve you talked about, so I guess that is out of consideration.

He was a DJ on and off throughout the 60s and 70s and he has some interesting albums, some of them are promotional items that were never released to the public. He has really been hesitant about listing any of his albums but did set these two aside, so hopefully he will let me go ahead and list them here. He has a bunch of this psychedelic stuff, not my cup of tea but I know it appeals to many other people. I've got a Dukes of Stratosphere CD because I like XTC, but that pretty much sums up my involvement with psychedelic music.

US shipping shouldn't be a problem

The United States of America - £14 to £17
    The American Metaphysical Circus - £10 to £20

It took me <2 minutes to find several copies of each in these price ranges.

Bear in mind the market for vinyl is very depressed at present for anything but the rarest releases.
    Last edited by DoubleHappinessRecords; 15th July 2009 at 04:17 PM.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Thanks for those numbers; were you just checking UK sites? Here in the US I found almost no figures in far more than 2 minutes of checking, just a lot of information about the groups and musicians themselves.

So, we should have these listings be available to the UK? Are folks there interested in this genre of music?

I think I used Google Checkout and Discogs, I would also have look on Gemm and Musicstack if need be, usually GC and 'ogs will suffice for anything but the rarest titles...

I most definitely think you should make your records available world-wide, without a doubt, I just sold a box of 70s heavy music to Russia, you never know where this stuff will go, Japan, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, you name it.

Arguably this sort of stuff will fetch better prices outside of the States due to scarcity outside the country of origin, i.e. the US market will by its very nature be awash with US releases, if I was a US seller I woud be looking for Euro stuff like Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode or whatever as anything that's considered exotic will get the best prices

Vinyl is a funny game Good luck with those anyway

i have a pink floyd limited edition boxed set #48 of 150 made includes 1 pink vinyl and 1 pink floyd flying pig picture disc how much do u think that is worth???

Question

I would need more info. - cat. #, title, record label, format, please?

Thread Information