eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping price inclusive, not shown on displays makes book look overpriced

Default Shipping price inclusive, not shown on displays makes book look overpriced

Dear EBID

When listing the price of your book which includes shipping could inclusive of shipping be displayed along side. ie £2.13 includes shipping

a. What is happening is that customers are not viewing the books because it shows £2.13
    b. The customer automaticaly assumes that shipping will have to be added and does not view the item because it is over priced
    c. by showing post included will eleviate this problem.
    I have experimented with a book and found that the book listed at .99 gets viewings, but when listed at £2.13 shipping include not shown there are no viewing.
    Could this be shipping inc be shown with the listings which have shipping included.
    Colin Marsh dingledell2books

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Please don't open the door for repetition on eBid of what happened on eBay.

Additionally, if you want eBid to grow, please think further than your own business practises - any introduction of this type of feature completely kills the ability of overseas sellers to attract buyers - including the attractiveness of the listings of those overseas sellers to you as well.

eBid buyers are perfectly capable of performing the maths of product price plus shipping - evne though eBid also does it for them.

Remember "shipping included" pricing also kills the multi-item discounted shipping sales technique, and a great many sellers on here have built their business around that (either here exclusively, or "over there", or both) and one reason sellers are leaving the dark side in droves has been because of fleecebay's "free" shipping policies and shipping charge caps.

I'm in Thailand, but if I list on eBay UK or US, in the categories that include around 60% of my product ranges, I am only allowed to charge the same shipping as sellers based in those countries, or in many categories now, the shipping has to be fully included in the item price and under best match search, that pushes me way to the back of the pack.

The fleecebay forums are often stating "be careful what you wish for" - fleecebay is in the mess it is today because too many people did not do enough forward thinking before crying out for measures they thought would give them personally a selling advantage - please don't introduce the same syndrome here, we don't need it, have never really had it, and to be honest, don't want it.

Gaz

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

When listing the price of your book which includes shipping could inclusive of shipping be displayed along side. ie £2.13 includes shipping
    Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you're requesting, but as far as I'm aware listings that include free shipping already show that way in both the listing title area and on the search results...correct me if I'm mistaken.

View cherokee47's Feedback (+86)
    All-About cherokee47
    View cherokee47's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have you used the drop-down menu? You have the option to include postage and this shows up on the listing

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Maybe I'm not fully understanding what you're requesting, but as far as I'm aware listings that include free shipping already show that way in both the listing title area and on the search results...correct me if I'm mistaken.
    I believe OP is saying that when "free shipping" is offered, it of course is NOT free (what is?), so OP wants it made clear on listing that a certain amount in that asking price is actually for the shipping (a breakdown). OP wants this to show so buyers can do the math and figure out if the item is a good buy or not.

Simple solution, list price and shipping separate. Makes it perfectly clear what the item costs, what the shipping costs. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post
    Please don't open the door for repetition on eBid of what happened on eBay.

Additionally, if you want eBid to grow, please think further than your own business practises - any introduction of this type of feature completely kills the ability of overseas sellers to attract buyers - including the attractiveness of the listings of those overseas sellers to you as well.

eBid buyers are perfectly capable of performing the maths of product price plus shipping - evne though eBid also does it for them.

Remember "shipping included" pricing also kills the multi-item discounted shipping sales technique, and a great many sellers on here have built their business around that (either here exclusively, or "over there", or both) and one reason sellers are leaving the dark side in droves has been because of fleecebay's "free" shipping policies and shipping charge caps.

I'm in Thailand, but if I list on eBay UK or US, in the categories that include around 60% of my product ranges, I am only allowed to charge the same shipping as sellers based in those countries, or in many categories now, the shipping has to be fully included in the item price and under best match search, that pushes me way to the back of the pack.

The fleecebay forums are often stating "be careful what you wish for" - fleecebay is in the mess it is today because too many people did not do enough forward thinking before crying out for measures they thought would give them personally a selling advantage - please don't introduce the same syndrome here, we don't need it, have never really had it, and to be honest, don't want it.

Gaz
    I agree 100% with you. In any form, shipping included items actually include the shipping. No fancy explanations, no alternate way of listing a breakdown of what the seller states price+shipping is. The shipping is in there and the seller is hoping buyer is mistaken about the math if the figures are padded. Hint: buyers know this!

On ebid, buyers love to buy multiples, if given a price break. On feebay I probably sold 40 to 50% multiples, here it is much higher. As you say, offering the break when shipping is included is not possible with no shipping to discount, and becomes a big mess to separate it out. Best not to put it together in first place.

I also offer free shipping for second items, and having the shipping included, would be a mess. Most buyers would assume I was not giving them the right discount and would not bother to buy a second item.

I agree that while some sellers would find certain features wonderful if added to ebid, others would find they hindered sales, made it harder to quickly calculate multiple purchases, etc. We have to be careful about these features.

We have to be very mindful of the effect of any changes proposed. i.e. changes that only help small sellers, or big sellers, or sellers who do their bookwork a certain way, are not helpful to a majority of sellers. This was feebay's big mistake, i.e. photos can be shared (great for big box stores), sellers are rated on how fast they ship (terrible for smaller shippers combining purchases and encouraging buyers to keep shopping - great for big box sellers, they have people to do it), etc. ebid's strength is in its diversity, which will go away if some sellers receive more support, more features to help them etc.

It is hard to create a level playing field, and harder still to maintain it while staying up-to-date and adding necessary updates. I am against any feature that just benefits a small group and makes more work for the rest. Waste of time and time is money.

I read with interest the reply's generated by my thread and noted a wide range of views, especialy the remark that " the seller hopes to mislead the buyer " if the selling price is displayed with the information; shipping included there should be no problem.this is the point I wanted Ebid to show on the listings. The free postage forced onto UK sellers by fleecebay has led to thousands of threads, many relating to of the comments made here on eBid. However I have looked at the remaks on the Uk Ebay commumity pages regarding free postage and especially the US comments:- My books with free shipping will be removed and relisted.
    Thank you all Happy Christmas Colin dingledell2books

The real objection to the 'free' p&p on the other site is that it is misleading to buyers in that the p&p is not really free but is included in the price of the book. Also the starting price has to be raised to allow for this, incurring listing fees when they may not have been any and increasing the final value fees by the amount of p&p; this will normally be an extra 30p to 50p per book, which can mean fees more than doubling for worse exposure.
    On Ebid when you include p&p then the listing will show 'inclusive' and not 'free' so there can be no confusion for buyers. I am testing one or two listings with inclusive p&p. One of the beauties of Ebid is that the extra fees will only amount to an average of 5p per book, a small price to pay if sales increase as a result, and I can still give a discount for multiple purchases.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leapingcat View Post
    On Ebid when you include p&p then the listing will show 'inclusive' and not 'free' so there can be no confusion for buyers.
    Gazza has just said he will look into changing "included" to "FREE", at somebody's request.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Like 'free' medical care
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Thread Information