eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's allowed under ebid rules?

Here is some help I recently got from Support myself after asking some questions of my own... (sadly it sounds like the only model they have to cling to is that of Ebay's)

"We recognize the historical significance of World War II and that there are many militaria collectors around the world.

In essence, do not post anything that is Nazi related. This includes books or items that were owned by or affiliated with the following Nazi leaders:

- Martin Bormann
    - Joseph Goebbels
    - Hermann Göring (Goering)
    - Rudolf Heß (Hess)
    - Reinhard Heydrich
    - Heinrich Himmler
    - Adolf Hitler
    - Wilhelm Bodewin Johann Gustav Keitel
    - Alfred Rosenberg
    - Julius Streicher

Jewish identification (armbands, Star of David)
    Nazi issued documents (passports, travel papers)
    Anti-Nazi items (such as the Hitler pin cushion)
    Battlefield, concentration camp, or war victim photos (even if the image contains dead bodies)

Propaganda postcards with images of Nazi leaders or pro-Nazi text
    1936 Olympic medals
    Uniforms, uniform components, weapons, or other items that bear the Nazi swastika or SS runes
    De-Nazi-fied items (items that originally had a swastika or SS runes that have been removed)
    Listings where images are edited or cropped to try and hide Nazi markings or insignia

We have a policy that is there to protect us as a venue.

If items or indeed a seller is reported we will review.
    Listings that are deemed unsuitable will be removed. Items that are deemed ok will remain.
    Items that we are not sure about will be removed subject to further evaluation.

Removal, or temporarily suspension of the member is at the description of the support team member reviewing the items/s or user reported.

Best Wishes
    eBid Support Team"

Sound familiar?
    At least we are not left in the dark any longer. Ebid is not a venue for German WWII items! I hope this response has helped -- it has me.

DanDan

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Seems odd to me. If you deny the Nazis then you deny the Holocaust.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Seems odd to me. If you deny the Nazis then you deny the Holocaust.
    They're not denying it happened, they're denying it a shop window on *their* site. Not the same thing at all. Which isn't to say I think they're entirely right, but I feel your comparison is unfounded.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

The problem seems to be the fact that these things are illegal to sell in Germany. Whist eBid is a UK site, it really isn't realistic to have different rules for each site plus I doubt that ebid wants to get involved with legal action in any country.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBridger View Post
    The problem seems to be the fact that these things are illegal to sell in Germany. Whist eBid is a UK site, it really isn't realistic to have different rules for each site plus I doubt that ebid wants to get involved with legal action in any country.
    I sold a copy of Mein Kampf on eby a while ago. The first listing was cancelled. Enquiry returned the info that I could list it as long as it wasn't for sale in Germany, so I relisted with domestic shipping only. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I sold a copy of Mein Kampf on eby a while ago. The first listing was cancelled. Enquiry returned the info that I could list it as long as it wasn't for sale in Germany, so I relisted with domestic shipping only. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.
    I agree. Maybe eBid have taken the easy option of just banning them rather than having to check the shipping details on each reported auction.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    They're not denying it happened, they're denying it a shop window on *their* site. Not the same thing at all. Which isn't to say I think they're entirely right, but I feel your comparison is unfounded.
    I wasn't referring to eBid. I was referring the the various groups that try to remove the existence of the Nazis from history. Whereas JC warns 'Don't mention the war' many don't want the Nazis mentioned. They existed. The world is all too aware of that. To remove them from sight gives rise to the possibility of similar rising again. You can't learn the lessons of the past if that past is removed from memory.

As I said at #5, I would draw the line at promoting or glorifying such ideals but would not deny the past.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Very sad to see that response from eBid
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

From Ebid's printed rules (#29)... "you should be aware that you are ultimately responsible for making sure that the buying or selling of an item is legal in the eyes of the law"

So, if the items are not against the law to buy and sell in a specific country and we are "ultimately responsible" then why not allow us to sell them in these countries where no wrong is being done...?

I had a relative that sold his entire German WWII collection piece by piece on Ebid about a 1.5 years ago. It is obvious that Ebid is NOW spooked and has perhaps buckled to a little "My-lawyer-can-beat up-your-lawyer" pressure...

How silly of me, if I locked my kids in the closet and then told them they are "ultimately responsible" for feeding the dogs and taking them outside to use the bathroom! Is not an individual responsible or irresponsible only after he is first given the freedom to act in such a way? Allow us the right to sell German WWII items in and to only those countries that see no wrong in doing so! Come on Ebid... Don't strive to be like Ebay! ... be real, be different, be better than Ebay. Be willing to do what the others are not willing to do and you have a formula for success!
    Last edited by dandan66; 8th February 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

There are two threads running at the moment. One where eBid are being beaten up for failing to remove listings that might get them into legal problems (possible fake items) and another where they're being beaten up for insisting on removing listings that might get them into legal problems (Nazi memorabilia). I'm glad I don't run an auction site.

Thread Information