Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: YDC Rules - Open Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Very true! Babs is the very embodiment of "benevolent despot" on this one.

I've been called many things in my time but I've never been called a 'benevolent despot' before.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BabsnRay View Post
    I've been called many things in my time but I've never been called a 'benevolent despot' before.
    If I could make t-shirts, I'd put it in the next YDC

View liverdodo's Feedback (+1878)
    All-About liverdodo
    View liverdodo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here's my little input into the discussion's

1 set of rules - keep it simple

Start price £10 or less - that way sellers can include P&P if they wish - it will cover exchange rates - sell item at a reasonable price

Winner - based on the highest number of BIDS PLACED not amount raised - giving the smaller items a chance of winning

Doe

190th Girl Guides Liverpool

I just wanted to say thank you for this thread, if nothing else it has clarified a lot of things in my mind, which ain't always easy.
    Last edited by wyocowgirl1; 22nd January 2010 at 09:55 PM. Reason: additions
    <a href=http://us.ebid.net/stores/Princess-Os-Treasures target=_blank><font color=#111111><span style=font-family: Tahoma>http://us.ebid.net/stores/Princess-Os-Treasures</span></font></a>

I YDC, Do you?

Quote Originally Posted by wyocowgirl1 View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you for this thread, if nothing else it has clarified a lot of things in my mind, which ain't always easy.
    All you have to remember is - spend spend spend
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

View smiffy49er's Feedback (+570)
    All-About smiffy49er
    View smiffy49er's Listings
    Forum Posts

Babs I don't envy you at all . It is very hard to please everybody (impossible actually)
    The Pink Friday auctions worked because it was simple. The only "rule" was it had to have a pink theme,however loosely applied.
    Keeping things simple seems to make the most people happy. I am not saying that people are simple just that simple rules work best.

For my thoughts on the YDC I think more charities should benefit but how it comes about is a minefield hence my comment about not envying you

Go on click you know you want to

http://www.justgiving.com/Charyn-Smith

Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband.

Ayup Babs, good idea this thread.

Below are my thoughts on certain points.

1 - Change the up to start price from 99p to £1 - to make it easier for our overseas friends to calculate the exchange rate.
    Sounds like a good idea to me.

2 - An additional rule with a max start price of up to £2 ?? for sellers who wish to include the p&p in the start price.
    More rules just make it more complicated and may put new members off joining in the YDC. I don't see a need for this rule as part of the competition is for members to use their selling skills to gain the maximum amount for their items, including or not including postage cost's is part of the selling strategy and is completely up to the seller.

3 - Change the Winners rule to exclude big ticket items eg T-Shirt etc as they are (by previous auctions) currently worth more and are expected to raise more than the current £20 ceiling.
    Featured charities are just that, featured. Sellers are under no obligation to support the featured charity so this rule would be pointless and only go to add to the number of rules and make the rules look more complicated than they really are. Keep it simple, it's always worked up to now.

But, I agree that "big ticket items" should be exempt from winning the YDC as it has already proved that it is worth more than the limit stated in the rules and if a few items keep winning the YDC it takes all the fun out of it for other members because they know that they have no chance of winning. Personally I would just add the rule that an item can not win the YDC twice, notice it's item and not seller.

4 - An additional rule that no charity can be nominated more than twice through the course of a YDC year - Jan to Nov. This will allow more charities to benefit from the YDC. If there is a special YDC in Dec - that woud be exempt from this rule - as would any other charity fundraising (eg BCC Pink) as they would have their own 'rules' as set by the organisers at the time and do not come under the YDC banner.
    Again a pointless rule which does nothing but increase the number of rules and makes something simple look complicated. Sellers are under no obligation to support the featured charity, so whatever the featured charity ay be sellers can still ellect to support a charity of their own choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnoustieCats View Post
    better fun than just buying a raffle ticket
    That was always the point of the YDC, having some fun while raising funds for deserving causes. That is why we always did our best to keep the rules basic and simple and not over regulate the YDC because it will put new members off joining in if it looks too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    I've no issues with non - YDC auctions giving a % to a charity, but with YDC I am of the opinion of all proceeds (auction final price) go to the charity / good cause. Like I say it's just a view and threw it in the pot.
    If a % is to be OK maybe a min % like 50% is set out
    I don't like the idea of a percentage being given to charity. The YDC are for charity auctions, full stop!, buyers then know that it is for charity and not for personal gain. Allowing percentages is a bad idea in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderdoors View Post
    I was refering to the higher start price bit of Santa's post,
    say for instance I wanted to auction off a pair of bedside cabinets for the nominated charity, not everyone wants or needs a new set so there is only one buyer who wants them. If the bidding starts at 99p,even if the bidder puts in a proxy bid of £50 it will sell for the 99p,well although some money is raised, I think we could have got a little more, so if I was able to start at say £20 that one interested bidder will still know they have a bargain, we have then raised £20 for the charity- much better.
    The maximum starting price was introduced to deter scammers, as was the maximum expected price. When the YDC was first started I had a problem with scammers using the YDC to line their own pockets having lower starting prices put scammers off because they are at risk of their item going at a much lower price than they want, so they don't use the YDC for ther scams. The £20 limit also helped to put them off, but it also meant that everyone had a chance of winning and not just sellers with higher value items.

You've always been able to sell anything you want, at any price you like, do it however you wish, and put the money into the YDC pot and pimp along etc - the rules just say whether or not your items are included in the competition. For example, *** doesn't have time to worry about stopping and starting things, so he lists YDC items all the time with no number associated, and his stuff isn't included in the competition. So you can *already* choose to start at 20 quid, and if the existing rules are enforced you just won't be included in the competition. Which, as I understand it, is what you wish to achieve.

So to reiterate... the rules are there, they just aren't enforced -- mostly out of good nature I think. Maybe they should be, good nature notwithstanding.
    No disrespect to ***, he's a good bloke, but that should be stopped now. If it's allowed to carry on then what is to stop anyone listing auctions with YDC in the title and using the good name of the YDC to line their own pockets?, it would be a scammers heaven. YDC auctions should only be run within the proper time period. To do otherwise is asking for trouble.

.If you wish to start an item for more than the allowed current maximum bid (99p) then , yes, go for it, do as you will its all for charity - but please just keep the title as YDC without the appropriate number. This will make it easier for me on scouring through the hundreds of listings to find the winners.
    How long has this been allowed?, bad move. Ebid has at last started to attract new sellers and new buyers and as the number of members grow it is far more likely to attract the scammers, the YDC will be wide open to abuse by the scammers if the above is allowed.

It's your baby, of course, but I would think that two sets of rules would be a mistake. You want a single set of rules that allow people to join in in whichever way suits them, surely? You have two sets, you can bet people won't know which to use. However, perhaps I'm picturing something that isn't really what you mean, so I'll wait to see the draft!
    I have to agree. Two sets of rules is just over complicating and over regulating the YDC and will cause confusion.

In my opinion it should be kept simple with as few rules as possible and one set of rules to govern all.

Apart from anything else folk have to keep in mind the amount of time put into running the YDC, the constant threat from scammers, and it must look inviting to newbies and make them want to join in.

Also, if it's too complicated or time consuming to run then what happens if Babs is ill or goes on holiday or has a family emergency?, it should be structured so that it can be seamlessly handed over to someone who is willing to step in and help out.
    Last edited by yorkiesauctions; 29th January 2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Yorkie

My FaceBook page.
    My Twitter page.
    My YouTube channel.

Mention eBid if you add me on FaceBook or Twitter so I know where you are from.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiesauctions View Post

More rules just make it more complicated and may put new members off joining in the YDC. I don't see a need for this rule as part of the competition is for members to use their selling skills to gain the maximum amount for their items, including or not including postage cost's is part of the selling strategy and is completely up to the seller.

Featured charities are just that, featured. Sellers are under no obligation to support the featured charity so this rule would be pointless and only go to add to the number of rules and make the rules look more complicated than they really are. Keep it simple, it's always worked up to now.

But, I agree that "big ticket items" should be exempt from winning the YDC as it has already proved that it is worth more than the limit stated in the rules and if a few items keep winning the YDC it takes all the fun out of it for other members because they know that they have no chance of winning. Personally I would just add the rule that an item can not win the YDC twice, notice it's item and not seller.

Again a pointless rule which does nothing but increase the number of rules and makes something simple look complicated. Sellers are under no obligation to support the featured charity, so whatever the featured charity ay be sellers can still ellect to support a charity of their own choice.

That was always the point of the YDC, having some fun while raising funds for deserving causes. That is why we always did our best to keep the rules basic and simple and not over regulate the YDC because it will put new members off joining in if it looks too complicated.

I don't like the idea of a percentage being given to charity. The YDC are for charity auctions, full stop!, buyers then know that it is for charity and not for personal gain. Allowing percentages is a bad idea in my book.

The maximum starting price was introduced to deter scammers, as was the maximum expected price. When the YDC was first started I had a problem with scammers using the YDC to line their own pockets having lower starting prices put scammers off because they are at risk of their item going at a much lower price than they want, so they don't use the YDC for ther scams. The £20 limit also helped to put them off, but it also meant that everyone had a chance of winning and not just sellers with higher value items.

No disrespect to Dan, he's a good bloke, but that should be stopped now. If it's allowed to carry on then what is to stop anyone listing auctions with YDC in the title and using the good name of the YDC to line their own pockets?, it would be a scammers heaven. YDC auctions should only be run within the proper time period. To do otherwise is asking for trouble.

How long has this been allowed?, bad move. Ebid has at last started to attract new sellers and new buyers and as the number of members grow it is far more likely to attract the scammers, the YDC will be wide open to abuse by the scammers if the above is allowed.

I have to agree. Two sets of rules is just over complicating and over regulating the YDC and will cause confusion.

In my opinion it should be kept simple with as few rules as possible and one set of rules to govern all.

Apart from anything else folk have to keep in mind the amount of time put into running the YDC, the constant threat from scammers, and it must look inviting to newbies and make them want to join in.

Also, if it's too complicated or time consuming to run then what happens if Babs is ill or goes on holiday or has a family emergency?, it should be structured so that it can be seamlessly handed over to someone who is willing to step in and help out.
    Thanks for your comments Frank; spoken as someone with "founder" imbedded in their DNA.

No disrespect to Dan, he's a good bloke, but that should be stopped now. If it's allowed to carry on then what is to stop anyone listing auctions with YDC in the title and using the good name of the YDC to line their own pockets?, it would be a scammers heaven. YDC auctions should only be run within the proper time period. To do otherwise is asking for trouble.

Just catching up with everything thats happened in the past few days.

Thanks for stopping in ont his one Frank and thank you very much for your time and comments. As the YDC was one of your babies I was hoping that you'd stop by and give some thoughts on it.

A lot of what you say makes perfect sense and gives a lot of food for thought re what if any changes will be made.

Thanks again
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Cracking post, Gromit.

Thread Information