Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Tools,English and USA definitions.

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Tools,English and USA definitions.

I sell hand tools,lots of spanners and sockets.I believe some are called different things in the USA and UK.For instance a ring spanner is (I think) sometimes called a box spanner in the US,if this is true what is a 'box' (the long tubular type of spanner) called?
    We call adjustable spanners just that but I think US users call them 'crescents' is that righi?.
    I'd be gratefull if anyone can suggest any other examples and inded confirm if the examples I've given are correct.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Looking at a US tool supplier site they are called a Tube Wrench. All spanners seem to be wrenches. Both Crescent and Adjustable seems to be used to describe the same thing.

IANAY

Forum Diehard
    All-About baconsdozen
    Forum Posts

I think the definition must vary state to state or what ever,most of my US customers describe stillsons or pipe grips as tube wrenches.

View youmeus's Feedback (+203)
    All-About youmeus
    View youmeus's Listings
    Forum Posts

Wrench, Sockets, Crescent and adjustable are the only terms used in previous posts that are recognizable to me. If you would put a picture I will gladly tell you what we call it.

I'm not an expert, just a wife of someone who has most mechanical tools that are needed to work on vehicles, tractors, farm machinery. He has collected them (to use) over the last 50 years and I have spent some time handing him the appropriate item when he is working.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

We used to have to get a signed chit to get an adjustable spanner from stores. Our boss reckoned only the lazy or unskilled had any use for an adjustable and they should never be used on aircraft without very good reason.

<-- ex mechanic here..

Box Wrench = one or two ends that wrap all the way around a bolt (6 point or 12 point , in some specialized applications there are 4 point and 8 point)

Combination wrench = One end is a box wrench (wrap around bolt head) and other end is open (two or 4 sides make contact with bolt.. usually two, sometimes 4)

Open End wrench = Both ends are open end (2 or 4 sides that grip bolt)

Allen Wrench = hex shaped bar of steel that fits inside of screw heads

Ratchet wrench = Common drive tool for sockets (socket wrench) typically 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch square drive - sockets may be S.A.E. or Metric sizes (often sets will contain both)

Tube Wrench = never really heard of those - but probably what we know as flare nut wrenches - they are similar to open end wrenches, but are basically 6-point box wrenches with an opening cut in them that is just large enough to slip over tubing to turn the nuts without mangling brass fittings - common uses: brake line fittings, copper tubing fittings, etc

Spanner- generally a specialized tool very often thin flat steel with opening that is specially sized to its specific application

Adjustable Wrench = AKA Crescent Wrench . Correct term is Adjustable Wrench , (can take different bolt sizes, jaw openings adjustable by a knurled thumb wheel) - Often called Crescent wrench because the originals , and for a very long time, almost the only source, were made by Crescent Tool Company in U.S.A.

if you want to know what a tool is called in U.S.A. just point me to a picture and I can definitively tell you in almost any case.. I'm familiar with tools use for mechanics, woodworkers, cabinet makers, and more (including many vintage, antique tools) - I'm by no means an expert but I can probably identify 95% of the tools I see
    Last edited by Idealproductsales; 10th February 2010 at 09:26 PM.
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Forum Diehard
    All-About baconsdozen
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replies,thats cleared up a lot of confusion (well for me anyway).In the UK SAE tools are generally called AF (across flats) we also liked in the past to complicate things by having tools in British standard whitworth (BSW) and British standard fine (BSF) sizes which use the same sized spanners and sockets (although they are marked in different sizes to confuse even more) For small stuff you might also need BA tools (British Association) these well and truly throw a spanner in the works because the tools aren't marked with sizes but numbers (0 to 11) and the smaller the number the bigger the tool!.
    My old foreman would not allow anyone to use an adjustable spanner and more than once raided tool boxes and threw the ones he found out of the window.We used to scuttle out later and collect them up again.
    Last edited by baconsdozen; 11th February 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    Thanks for the replies,thats cleared up a lot of confusion (well for me anyway).In the UK SAE tools are generally called AF (across flats) we also liked in the past to complicate things by having tools in British standard whitworth (BSW) and British standard fine (BSF) sizes which use the same sized spanners and sockets (although they are marked in different sizes to confuse even more) For small stuff you might also need BA tools (British Association) these well and truly throw a spanner in the works because the tools aren't marked with sizes but numbers (0 to 11) and the smaller the number the bigger the tool!.
    My old foreman would not allow anyone to use an adjustable spanner and more than once raided tool boxes and threw the ones he found out of the window.We used to scuttle out later and collect them up again.
    LOL.. gotta love them Brits, eh? I guess us simple-minded Americans just couldnt keep all that straight, and went with S.A.E. and Metric sizes.. and that is pretty much it ..
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Thread Information