Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting in the U.S.

Question Hunting in the U.S.

American hunters wear camo clothing and bright orange jackets, right? The orange is so you don't shoot each other but the animals are what, unable to see color, so they just see a big patch of gray? If that's so, then why bother with the camo gear?

camouflage is not color dependent- it is to break up what would otherwise be a big solid moving slab into broken patterns that are difficult to discern -

A hunter wearing solid flourescent orange is not only visible to other hunters, but also visible to animals like deer. However- a flourescent orange that is broken up by a camo pattern (there are several patterns ) , to a deer is much harder to see - green camo may also be used- the only requirement as far as flourescent orange is to have X square inches (depends on state laws) - flourescent orange chosen because it is bright, to human eyes , and not subject to color blindness , and is a color that does not occur naturally.

Camouflage is simply breaking up what would be an otherwise solid pattern into a broken pattern that is more difficult to discern from surroundings.
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

It depends on what animals you are hunting. All are not colorblind. Camouflage isn't just a pattern printed on fabric. It's blending in with one's surroundings to avoid detection. With species that are colorblind it is more of a matter of breaking up the outline of the form of the hunter to allow him to get within striking distance to successfully bring down the prey animal.

Care should always be taken when hunting to make sure you identify your target before taking the shot. Never shoot at movement without visually identifying your target.

Deer are successfully hunted from tree stands because they never look up since they have no natural enemies that attack from the air. Hunters wear orange when hunting them because they are colorblind.

Forum Lurker
    View Triumph7's Feedback (+15)
    All-About Triumph7
    View Triumph7's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    It depends on what animals you are hunting. All are not colorblind. Camouflage isn't just a pattern printed on fabric. It's blending in with one's surroundings to avoid detection. With species that are colorblind it is more of a matter of breaking up the outline of the form of the hunter to allow him to get within striking distance to successfully bring down the prey animal.

Care should always be taken when hunting to make sure you identify your target before taking the shot. Never shoot at movement without visually identifying your target.

Deer are successfully hunted from tree stands because they never look up since they have no natural enemies that attack from the air. Hunters wear orange when hunting them because they are colorblind.
    How on earth can you call someone who is perched up a tree with a rifle, and who is prepared to kill a totally defenceless deer, (who never looks up) a HUNTER.

I would personally class them as a SNIPER.

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Fair enough

And the person who buys their meat in a shop (paying someone else to kill it) is a WUSS
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

There is real cultural misunderstanding here. Firstly, in UK "hunting" means "pursuing an animal with hounds" - this is a largely upper class sport (or is perceived as such) and does not, naturally, produce edible meat.

Then there is the fact that we are largely an urban culture who thinks meat comes wrapped in plastic.

Shooting something for fun is the typical British view of "hunting" - again, even "shooting" (which is what we call the US "hunting") is a minority activity, perceived as largely expensive and posh. Rough shooting in UK is confined to a few species, mostly rabbits which, as a result of mixymatosis (can't spell it), are not regarded as suitable eating.

Shooting stuff to eat it is not the norm in UK, hence the misunderstanding.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    There is real cultural misunderstanding here. Firstly, in UK "hunting" means "pursuing an animal with hounds" - this is a largely upper class sport (or is perceived as such) and does not, naturally, produce edible meat.

Then there is the fact that we are largely an urban culture who thinks meat comes wrapped in plastic.

Shooting something for fun is the typical British view of "hunting" - again, even "shooting" (which is what we call the US "hunting") is a minority activity, perceived as largely expensive and posh. Rough shooting in UK is confined to a few species, mostly rabbits which, as a result of mixymatosis (can't spell it), are not regarded as suitable eating.

Shooting stuff to eat it is not the norm in UK, hence the misunderstanding.
    As a hunter and fisherman I totally disagree. Even before hunting with hounds was outlawed there was and still is a large minority who hunt with shotguns and air rifles. I was one of the latter. I know air rifles have had a bad press but that's down to criminal and negligent behaviour.
    When I was shooting, I either ate what I shot or it was a cull of the farmers pests (vermin shooting).
    I am and always have been a townie - but I've always known where meat comes from.
    Rabbits I'm sorry to say are still great eating! Mixymatosis still rears it's head now and again. Then the rabbit is still shot (compassion) and a responsible hunter will bury the corpse.

Shooting stuff to eat is the norm in UK.

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph7 View Post
    How on earth can you call someone who is perched up a tree with a rifle, and who is prepared to kill a totally defenceless deer, (who never looks up) a HUNTER.

I would personally class them as a SNIPER.
    It may offend your sensibilities but ambush is one of the most effective and humane ways of hunting.
    In the animal kingdom ambush predators are the most successful and just like them man has used this technique for thousands of years.

It's a poor hunter who scorns ambush.

Forum Saint
    View RonOne's Feedback (+4296)
    All-About RonOne
    View RonOne's Listings
    Forum Posts

Although I don't hunt or fish anymore.
    I feel it is more humain for a quick kill on an unsuspecting animal.
    Than to scare an animal to death by chasing it for miles with a pack of dogs.
    This is in my opinion not humain.

Thread Information