eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie product options/variations query

Default newbie product options/variations query

Hi All

New on here, and looking for advice. Have searched Meetup and Help with no success, so I do wonder if I aam actually asking the impossible.

I make and sell a range of clocks, I want the customer to be able to select a product variation / option. For example they can have 1 of 6 colours for the clock, they can have gift wrap if they want, They can add a name or message up to 36 characters if they want. So I need somehow a facility for them to tell me their choices:

1) clock colour
    2) Gift wrap or not
    3) wording for the name or message.

Can the above be done, and if so how, any help would be very welcome.

Thanks for looking
    Kind regards
    Phil
    Last edited by Mark; 13th June 2013 at 04:33 PM.

Forum Saint
    Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey, United Kingdom
    View meebo1's Feedback (+7886)
    All-About meebo1
    View meebo1's Listings
    Forum Posts

You would obviously add to your description that you offer a personalised service. After item is bought buyer can then communicate requirements via the AAL with you. Mind you, from what I hear some people need reminding that they will have to give you the information before you can fulfill the order

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would remove the link to your own site from your signature (and anywhere else on eBid you may have it). Links to e-commerce enabled sites are not allowed.

Hi Meebo

Thanks for your reply, right that probably answers my query that I cant do it through the site itself. As you say you can ask a customer but they dont always read the order process, and so if your not careful you can end up with a mixed up order. I will have to think about the wording very carefully.

Many thanks

Phil Allen

Hi Astral1276

I am so sorry my first time on here and nearly get shot from the outset, sorry it wasnt intentional, and will ensure it doesnt happen again.

Thanks

Kind regards

Phil Allen

Froncysyllte Llangollen, Wrexham, United Kingdom
    View tjsprinting's Feedback (+433)
    All-About tjsprinting
    View tjsprinting's Listings
    Forum Posts

I found that I had to list all different sized doors separately because buyers failed to say what size they wanted, but then we are expected to be mind readers sometimes!!!!!

Made to measure internal and external softwood doors and gates.
    Visit our ebid store to see a wide range of ledge and brace, cottage, stable and garage doors along with a selection of single and paired gates. Just click on the banner above

Hi Borderdoors

Very good reply. As you say it happens and I now tie everything down on my normal site (ssshhh I cant mention that - only joking lol). I have it so they have to give a reply to the colour choice, and yes or no to the gift wrap, and they have to write something in the name or message box. If they fail to do anyone of the above they can not proceed with the order. Keeps it simple and so far its worked 100%. Just would have liked something similar on ebid, never mind will have to put my mind in gear and work around it.

Thanks for your reply

Kind regards

Phil Allen

Quote Originally Posted by photoclockworld View Post
    Hi Borderdoors

Very good reply. As you say it happens and I now tie everything down on my normal site (ssshhh I cant mention that - only joking lol). I have it so they have to give a reply to the colour choice, and yes or no to the gift wrap, and they have to write something in the name or message box. If they fail to do anyone of the above they can not proceed with the order. Keeps it simple and so far its worked 100%. Just would have liked something similar on ebid, never mind will have to put my mind in gear and work around it.

Thanks for your reply

Kind regards

Phil Allen
    Hi Phil and welcome to ebid!

My thoughts are that the simpliest way to do it is to allow them to select exactly what they want, i.e. list 6 or 8 or 10 clocks, one in each color. That answers first question, what color do you want? Only a real dope would go to the blue clock and order it if they wanted a red one.

Second question, giftwrap? I would put say that as a extra special feature of ordering from you, you giftwrap free! No waiting for an answer. But if I bought a clock with a special message, sorry I would rip it open to see how cute it is, so providing a sheet of paper, tissue, a bow or whatever, maybe a gift bag, but NOT sealing it up is good Tell them you will do that, they only have to tie the bow or whatever. Second question taken care of and you have provided a special service for free! A bonus for buying from you!

Third question, what to put on it? That of course you have to ask BUT the other questions are already taken care of. I guess to make it simple I would say in the title of listing "personalized with your photo, greeting etc), then on bottom I would again say "when I invoice you I will ask for your personalized info". When invoice is sent, there is a box at bottom for message, ask for the personalized info here, to be sent ASAP so you can "work on clock just for you". This way the payment is tied to the personalized greeting. and of course you will really not work on anything until you get paid (but you don't have to say that).

I think I would take this route to make it much simplier. No color question, run auction in each color. No giftwrap question, tell them you partially wrap all, they just have to seal and add bow (or whatever). Personalized info, you have to just wait for this and you have tied it into your payment invoice. i.e. no pay, no work on order.

This sounds so exciting, are you going to let us take a peek at your clocks?

Hi Deltadelta48

Thanks for your reply, your all very helpful here, thanks.

Yes your right different listings for each colour sounds the way, "only a real dope would go for a blue clock if they wanted a red one". I reckon I shouldnt answer that one, cases like that were the reason why my 'normal' ecommerce site has these rules written in that they are forced to answer so cant escape it or at least up to now get it wrong.

The gift wrap is something we have offered for some time, and the lead to christmas for instance was very busy anyway but the majority had gift wrap. There are many reasons why people want gift wrap, as you say if someone wants a clock for themselves they just want to see it, and now! But if its bought for someone as a gift having it giftwrap saves them a job, horses for courses as they say.

They are good points that you raise about the gift wrap, and perhaps I may be able to juggle with figures etc. to work a way round it.

As you say for the personalisation text could be requested if not all ready recieved, and the message sent in the invoice box. Its a way round it, and at the end of the day a system would be perfected, and if it means a few emails to a customer so what.

If its exciting or not depends on how much you get out , lol, sorry my sense of humour. It started off with a very small range, and now extends to over 1000 designs. All sales are made through my site, and now a gift shop and 2 nice ladies who are dropshipping for me on a small starting basis. You are very welome to have a look, but as yet I dont have any on here or 'that' other auction site. I cant tell you my url, because I broke the guidelines before by stating it without thinking, and I am for sure not going to do it again. So all i can say is you will have to wait, and keep an eye out, and if I think about it I will message you to say when I have some on.
    p.s. I ship to the states !

Thanks again for your help, and hope we can speak again.

Kind regards

Phil Allen

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Deltadelta - you cut right to the chase!! How organized is that!!! You are wonderful with ideas!! My crown is off to you!!!! (Doffs crown - waves, and heads off to bed.)
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Thread Information