Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Prices

View poppyrowan's Feedback (+127)
    All-About poppyrowan
    View poppyrowan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes I can understand how vinyl isn't selling. I was an avid collector, and always swore I would never go over to CD's, but I have (either that or downloads). Therefore my vinyl singles are lying redundant in a box deteriorating and I certainly don't buy them anymore. Kind of sad really .....

I have not heard of Paypal micro account. I shall have to check that out

View CrazyJay's Feedback (+149)
    All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poppyrowan View Post
    Yes I can understand how vinyl isn't selling. I was an avid collector, and always swore I would never go over to CD's, but I have (either that or downloads).
    What sort of records did you collect? The best thing to do would be to list a few of them. I'm still collecting, and am always on the look out for the right discs.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

TOY-PALLOI - For all sorts of traditional playthings!

THE PAPERBOYS PLEASURE - For Books & Magazines

OUT ON THE FLOOR - For Records - (mainly 1950's - 60's)

VIEWPOINT - Photographic Equipment

THE SCRAPYARD - Spare parts for old cars and bikes

All-About poppyrowan
    Forum Posts

Late 50's , early 60's stuff when I could get it mainly, 45's.... got shedloads of trash too though lol

All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poppyrowan View Post
    Late 50's , early 60's stuff when I could get it mainly, 45's.... got shedloads of trash too though lol

Oh dear - That ear fits in exactly with what I collect

I'll be interested to see what you list.

For those who aren't fussy about filtering what I sell - Take a look at ALL my stuff above. - But for more specific listings, take a peek in the stores below.

All-About CrazyJay
    View CrazyJay's Listings
    Forum Posts

If you have a lot of records, I would certainly recomend setting up a shop front specifically for the music side of things. so far you have only used 2 of your available 5 shops, so it shouldn't cause you any problems.

All-About poppyrowan
    Forum Posts

Yes, I will set up a seperate shop I think, I won't get myself mixed up then. I can't grade my records atm as I have my parents (dad just had heart op) staying with me for at least the next 6 weeks, but I will get them on asap. As I said, no use them sitting in a box!!

Just thought I'd chuck in my two penneth worth as they say...

I don't do anything below 99p although I do accept offers on all items on the main site I sell on. I really do dispute that pricing something at 20p, 50p or even 2p will make it more likely to sell than at 99p... Really I think if somebody wants something enough they will pay at any of those levels. The postage is going to cost them a minimum of around £1 (more for 12"S and LPs), so just by looking at an ad they have already indicated their willingness to spend at this level... Fair enough I will go to Farmfoods for my milk because it's about 30p cheaper than it is at Asda, but milk's ths same wherever you go, vinyl is pretty much the exact opposite - the quality and service varies widely. I think product is what sells not price, that's the bottom line. Most buyers are looking for specific music or browsing by music style not looking at listings ordered by 'price: low to high'. I have done that from time to time and I must say it gets boring very fast. Yes there is a lot I could have below 50p but ultimately I'm not in the market for buying individual releases, anything less than 30 platters at a time turns me off...

I have a competitor who does stuff on the main site I sell on for 25p, 50p and his postage cost is lower than mine, I just think he is bringing the market down for everyone, cheapening the product (metaphorically as well as literally). The thing is, he doesn't take advantage of free listings the way I do, so I think because he is mainly a feebay seller he reasons that it's not worth the cost and effort to list those titles on the dark side, so he will just give them away instead. I don't see it like that, anything badly damaged goes in the bucket but otherwise it's an opportunity to make about a 200% profit margin minimum! Even at 99p vinyl can have crazy profit margins...

It's probably true that it's getting harder to sell vinyl, but I think the point is to keep your head when those around you are losing theirs... I went through a phase of doing stuff <99p but I abandoned it after about three months because I just found it soul destroying... Another thing is that keeping all your prices at increments of £x.99 looks consistent and professional to buyers...

So my message is, stick to your guns, don't get drawn into panic discounting. My takings for this quarter are up 100% on 2009, recession or none. As far as i'm concerned it's more about product, marketing, and service than price

All-About poppyrowan
    Forum Posts

Thank you for that very informative post. It must have taken you ages to type that. When I do get around to listing my records, I will grade very carefully and price realistically. I believe 99p is a reasonable and fair price to use as a base level. I would feel OK about selling at that price and I believe the buyer would be getting a fair deal too. I don't think I could bear to part with any of my collection for less, so thank you for the sound advice and taking the time to post.

Default selling ok

I really find this hard to believe. I have just moved over for FEE-Bay to see if my records will sell here. I can say that my sales have been in the region of 50-100 per month and that is only on vinyl.

I have almost 1000 and was going to list some today. But after reading this I may have to think again.

If i decide to list they will be cheaper than they where over at the fee bay site but on average a 12" single including postage was going for £3.98 so to read here that selling records singularly could be hard I am slightly concerned as to list or find another outlet.

Hmm

Thread Information