as mum n dad keep flyin in n out,but fer how long
    i no its nature but i hate cats,its not if it dunt get fed

ive shooooooooooooed it off a few times
    "WALKING IS DEFINITELY OVERRATED"

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

I feel for you, patriot. I've got a somewhat similar problem here in Oregon. I live in the mountains and feed the quail... over the years their numbers are now up to around 40-50. I love sitting on my porch after throwing the day's feed out and pretty soon they start appearing out of the brush to feed...love watching them.

But! A lady moved into the property to the east of me and she has...ready?.....EIGHT CATS! I got to the point I'd sit out there for hours shooing and yelling at the blasted things to scare them off my property. After watching feathers fly and birds die to those buggers I finally walked over to her house and asked her to keep her cats off my property, etc., etc. She said "my cats are 'outside' cats and they'll roam where they want to."......WHAT?? She didn't even offer to try and keep them on her own property.

May is just around the corner and that's when the babies appear with the parents...just itty-bitty things, no bigger than a 50-cent piece...this situation I have, like you, is just tragic. And like you...I HATE CATS because of it...

Okay....off my soapbox...time to go sit on the porch for guard duty......

Forum Saint
    View Cocksparrer's Feedback (+424)
    All-About Cocksparrer
    View Cocksparrer's Listings
    Forum Posts

It is nature, but keep shooing the cat away or try & place a net or something in order to stop the cat getting to them, chaffinches are lovely birds.

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

booooooooboooooo patrol................she detests em

Forum Lurker
    View shugirl74's Feedback (-1)
    All-About shugirl74
    View shugirl74's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do you think she is a crazy cat lady and knits all day?

Glasgow, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View ejean9's Feedback (+946)
    All-About ejean9
    View ejean9's Listings
    Forum Posts

Jay...get some empty clear plastic bottles (like you get Irn bru in) half fill with water and lay them on their side..cats see their reflection and think its another cat..it can deter them..so can a few small mirrors..reflection seen and they sometimes run..or as someone else says some netting it will stop the cats hiding in the bushes..but bottom line is they are resonding to nature,, i love watching the birdys..but cats will go with the hunter instinct..fed or not..

Rotherham, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View PATRIOT73's Feedback (+173)
    All-About PATRIOT73
    View PATRIOT73's Listings
    Forum Posts

bugga that............im buying
    a supershot power blaster.............teach the sods:

I do not know how feasible this might be but one solution might be to buy some long poles or lengths of wood, drive them into the ground very close to where the nests are now, then fix bird nesting boxes of the type where the box tops can be left open to the tops of the poles, then take the nests out of the hedges and put them in the boxes. I have done that myself many years ago with one nest and it worked. When the parent birds were used to coming back, the top of the box was put back down and the parents came in through a side hole. The risk with this approach is that the parent birds might not come back to nests that have been moved. However, if you have cats watching the nests, it is only going to be a matter of time before the cats get all the chicks. Domestic cats still have the instincts of wild cats. No matter how friendly they might be indoors, outside they are vicious and kill for the sake of it.

I know the answer to this one.

Hang one of these outside it.

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MagnetsAndHangers View Post
    I know the answer to this one.

Hang one of these outside it.

I have 2 cats. I had always been told that cats will always do their business in other peoples gardens.LOL....my 2 will only ever do it in my garden! I am a gardener and adore my plants/seedlings etc but if my boys decide to 'do their business' in the place I have planted something then I will put a net around/over it so they they can't go there.

As for birds/mice/rabbits...cats are predators and derive from the wild tigers/lions etc. Wild cats hunt food and no matter how much the owner looks after them through care, cats will always hunt. I live in the countryside and have chickens either side of me, which the boys tend to leave alone, a free range rabbit which they also leave alone but all the hedges and trees have nests and usually my boys will bring home a 'present' when it's fledgling time or a field mouse or a wild rabbit or whatever is in season. It's common nature for animals to hunt and as yet I know of nothing that will stop them.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Thread Information