Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc switching itself off

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Question Pc switching itself off

Hi folks - any of you nice IT savvy peeps help? Twice today my PC has just switched itself off. First time it had only been on about one hour, so couldn't blame it on over-heating. Second time was about 30 mins ago - and it's doing my nut in. When it switched off earlier, I ran anti-virus, spyware, malware and any other ware you can think of and NADA - just the usual low-threat tracking cookies, nothing serious. I also didn't have multiple pages open - which I'm very guilty of! I'm at a loss to figure out what's going on. Well, that's actually an understatement. I haven't a SCOOBY about what's going on!
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

One thing that causes that a lot is a failing power supply.

There are other possibilities, hard drive going bad/motherboard, but it's really hard to say without being able to run diagnostics on a machine.

Try another Virus scanner on the PC there is a virus that is known to turn off the Pc.free ones are AVG free antivirus or avast free and they work good I use avast. If it was your hard drive you would hear a clicking noise. if not one of them you may have a system error. if that is the prob then Repair windows or reinstall windows.

what antivirus & malware programs are you using.

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

If it's a tower check the power lead is pluged in tightly

check the fan is working properly could be it's way out,
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Quote Originally Posted by KAYS6912 View Post
    Hi folks - any of you nice IT savvy peeps help? Twice today my PC has just switched itself off. First time it had only been on about one hour, so couldn't blame it on over-heating. Second time was about 30 mins ago - and it's doing my nut in. When it switched off earlier, I ran anti-virus, spyware, malware and any other ware you can think of and NADA - just the usual low-threat tracking cookies, nothing serious. I also didn't have multiple pages open - which I'm very guilty of! I'm at a loss to figure out what's going on. Well, that's actually an understatement. I haven't a SCOOBY about what's going on!
    I don't know if Scotland is having the same hot weather as England, but do consider overheating.
    Mine did it last summer during one of the very shortlived hot spells we had. When we opened it up all the filters were clogged up with dust. After a good vacuuming it was back to normal.

But as others have said, power supply, motherboard, hard disc failure could also be the reason.

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Another thing I would do as I have had this happen to my computer at work.Get a can of compressed air and clean it out,dust may be clogging up something causing it to shut down,

I would of course also run some scans as a lot of them do not catch certain bugs I would run a gammit of them,avast is a good free one but will not pick up about blank which,if left in a pc for too long can cause all sorts of havoc inc shutting it down but usually would get some warning signs with it,home page changed quite hard to find also as it hides in a system 32 dll file

What kind of system are you running and what scans have you ran,does your computer make any noises when on,clicking or a forcing type sound,this can be your hard drive

Hard to say really,could be a number of things power,drive,bug,simple dust are all possiblities

Good luck,hope you get to the bottom of it.

Cambuslang, South Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    View KAYS6912's Feedback (+245)
    All-About KAYS6912
    View KAYS6912's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for your replies, folks. Much appreciated. I use Avast anti-virus, IOBIT Security and Advanced Windows care for all the different things I need. We are getting really hot weather just now but I've checked my tower and it isn't at all warm, never mind hot. I'll get my wee vac out and give it going over for dust and check my leads. There shouldn't be anything loose/slack because the tower never moves. Mind you, maybe my kit has been on the prowl! It's just weird cos there's absolutely no warning. One minute I'm sitting typing away then ZAP! - off it goes!
    Nancy
    Ceud měle f?*ilte!
    ‘A hundred thousand welcomes!’

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/BARGAIN-BROWSER

GENERAL STORE

I have tried alot of free & purchased antivirus programs & Avast is the best i have used so far, for your malware program try using malwarebytes it is free & a really good program as well.

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have you checked your psu,what are the specs of it.You can try to get them if your pc stays on long enough in your bios

Looking for cpu temp
    m/b temp
    cpu fan speed
    etc

Could be your running at minimum or below power supply voltage or you may have to really clean out the fan,if you could get those specs we could see if there is a problem with anything there

Thread Information