Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In for a Penny, In for a Pound

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why list non-antique items in the antiques category....hmmmmmm...

Forum Lurker
    View millenniums's Feedback (+4)
    All-About millenniums
    View millenniums's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Iwiw: I guess it's because modern bead necklaces are everywhere in the Antique category! And they're not cheap. They even come with a story. Mine don't. The reproductions I'm selling are not cheap. At worst, someone had to obtain an authentic item and make a mold from it and cast it in silver or bronze. Would any jeweler bother to do it for $10-$20? A collector of Roman artifacts appreciates a copy when an original may only exist in a museum. I have several authentic items in the Roman Category as well. The reproductions get more views, and because I'm not asking much for them they will sell. Thanks for your comment. Rudy

View pearlygirl555's Feedback (+203)
    All-About pearlygirl555
    View pearlygirl555's Listings
    Forum Posts

Let me see if I have this straight.....

I guess it's because modern bead necklaces are everywhere in the Antique category! So you may as well jump on the bandwagon?

The reproductions I'm selling are not cheap. Which makes it okay for them to be in the wrong category?

A collector of Roman artifacts appreciates a copy when an original may only exist in a museum The collector who wants a reproduction can certainly look for it in a more appropriate category. Why should the person who wants a genuine article have to wallow through a bunch of stuff they don't want? That is sure to turn potential buyers away; it does me. I've stopped shopping for certain things I collect here, because there are too many non-authentic items allowed to clog the categories.

The reproductions get more views, and because I'm not asking much for them they will sell. Again, if there is a demand for your reproductions, that demand will exist if they are in the right category AND the genuine collector will not be put off by seeing your reproductions in the wrong category. Just because something gets a lot of views and is cheaply priced, doesn't mean it should boastfully hold a spot in the wrong category.

Your items and enthusiasm are welcome here, but why not strive to follow the rules and list the right item in the right place? Those who game the system simply pull things down for the rest of us.

Just saying.
    "You're a guest of nature.....so behave!"

Forum Lurker
    All-About millenniums
    Forum Posts

Hi Pearly: I suppose the "correct category" would be reproductions. That catagory has nothing but decorated wall tiles and more beads! My auctions do not misrepresent. When I returned two weeks ago, I saw nothing remotely related to Romans in the Roman Category. Same for the Egyptian, Greek and Native American categories. When I bought these reproductions I believed they were authentic because the sellers said they were. When I found duplicates with identical flaws, indicating identical mold marks, I knew things were not as represented. Now I state in every reproduction auction: "Roman style" and "Found in Balkans, so probably not ancient." I consider each piece a small work of art. You can't own an original of many of my pieces because there may only be one original and it's probably in a museum. The true test will be Monday afternoon for me. Thanks for commenting. Rudy

Welcome to eBid, Rudy. We're getting new members from California every day.

I see your problem with the categories. "Antiques" appears to be a catchall on eBid. I just checked the US stores, and some of the biggest ones (listed at the top) don't even pretend to be selling antiques, but apparently that's not a problem.

Then I looked through the available subcategories in "Antiques". There are three for "Reproduction Antiques". Perhaps you can avoid trouble by using one of them.

The truth is I don't think we get buyers through the eBid categories. Since I realized that, all I worry about is getting our listings into something that won't get it deleted for breaking the rules. A LOT of our listings have a subcategory of "Other", that's the one that keeps us legal.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Hello again

If by your own admission, I suppose the "correct category" would be reproductions, then why not put them in the reproduction category?Do you mean to say you aren't putting them in the Reproduction category because That catagory has nothing but decorated wall tiles and more beads!

I understand that your reproduction items are little works of art; many of them are quite lovely. And I understand that the originals of these items would be unobtainable for many people. Again, an item that it a lovely modern reproduction of an authentic antique item is not, by definition, an authentic antique. It's nice that you strive to communicate your admission of modern vintage by qualifying your items with words like style and probably not ancient but by qualifying them, it seems to me that you are admitting they don't belong in the antique category.

It is unfortunate that you thought these were authentic when you bought them, and later realized that they were not. It seems that you are saying, these items were represented to you as authentic antiques, you came to realize they are not antiques, but you have decided to list them in the antique category because they are affordable replicas of antiques. Any way you slice it, Your. Reproductions. Are. Reproductions. Not. Antiques.

Why will Monday afternoon be the true test?

My goal is not to be rude to you in any way, I'm merely trying to understand why you knowingly list non-antique items in the antique category. I'm also coming to the realization that my Native American fetishes and pipestone wares, as well as my Roman bronze coins, will do better to be listed elsewhere. These items come with authenticating documents and the Native American items are all signed by the artists who produced them.

Other than this hothouse of debate that we refer to as the Kitchen Table, I hope you are enjoying a nice weekend
    Last edited by pearlygirl555; 24th July 2010 at 07:27 PM.

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    Then I looked through the available subcategories in "Antiques". There are three for "Reproduction Antiques". Perhaps you can avoid trouble by using one of them.

The truth is I don't think we get buyers through the eBid categories.
    I agree with you here, Tia. If there is a place for reproductions, it should be utilized. If there isn't a place for reproductions that suits a person's modern vintage item, it can be addressed in the "new category suggestions" forum.

I don't think we get buyers though the categories either. It's more likely that someone will do a search for, say, "Roman seal ring" and come to an auction, which is listed in the antiques category, and they will either assume it's an antique, OR they will realize by the price or item description that it isn't. I know when I'm looking for something I collect, that is how I proceed. If my search brings me to something that is unauthentic, and poking through the nearby listings shows me many more unauthentic listings, the credibility of that outlet sinks in my estimation and I go elsewhere to buy. Which is why I am currently thinking of going elsewhere to list as well.

Forum Lurker
    All-About millenniums
    Forum Posts

Thanks for writing Tia & Pearly: I checked "other" in the Ancient category and found more beads. Under Antiquities: Roman, there were a few auctions of modern pieces. Monday has meaning to me because my first auctions will be closing. I have already closed any auctions with less than 12 views because views are a measure if interest. Meanwhile I'll petition for a sub cat for Roman reproductions and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice

All-About pearlygirl555
    Forum Posts

Views might not be a reliable measure of interest; for starters, some of your items might have artificially inflated high viewing numbers from people who have read this thread, then decided to have a peek themselves. On the other hand, an item can't be purchased if it is unlisted. Something may only have a handful of views today, but Tuesday afternoon the right person may do a Google search for it and find something of yours that matches what they want exactly. The item may only have 2 views, but the third viewer may buy it!

I've been away from the forums for much of the summer and am not caught up on the latest Google search rubric; it may behoove you to do some research on the forums to see what combination of title, payment options and secret passwords get your items picked up there. Some users have FAQ pages that you can get to via their signature (hello Kimbo, how's that naughty bear?) and you'll learn a lot there too.

When you post a request in the "new category suggestion" area it may not get acted on straight away. I believe the thread is left open for discussion, and when changes are made they are made in batches. I see that you've posted in that area, but you should probably digest the "Read Before Adding Your Request" thread at the top before editing your suggestions.

Best of luck to you

Thread Information