eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is pppay.com a safe way to buy.

View smurfury's Feedback (+1373)
    All-About smurfury
    View smurfury's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Is pppay.com a safe way to buy.

Hi all. I would love to buy a dsi from a new seller on here But he only accepts payment via pppay.com. Is this a safe payment method if something goes wrong? thanks for your help. julie.

Are you paying with a credit card or debit card?

All-About smurfury
    View smurfury's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi. I was going to use my debit card . julie

All-About smurfury
    View smurfury's Listings
    Forum Posts

So if i add a credit card and it all goes wrong i could receive a refund. thanks for the help. julie

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

You could look at PPPay's escrow payment method. This would afford you protection. https://www.pppay.com/help_centre.php?mo=escrow

The seller does not get the money until you have received and are satisfied with the goods.

If the seller refuses escrow then alarm bells should start ringing.

All-About smurfury
    View smurfury's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi. Thank you both for helping. I have sent a question to the seller and i will wait to bid as £90 is a lot of money to possibly lose. thanks again julie.

All-About smurfury
    View smurfury's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi cmjewels. I never knew that. I will have a look around for the info. thank you julie.

I have just found that paying with credit card through Paypal etc can effect the section 75 refunds.
    As always with these things there are a few things that escape the safety net. First is anything to do with the purchase of land as this is controlled by regulation from the Financial Services Authority. Two further areas, caused by the indirect nature of the payment are as follows:

When you buy through third parties. Travel agents, paypal etc.
    You’re usually unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn’t the one providing you with the good or service because the credit card company must have a direct relationship for them to be equally liable.

The first main area is paying via an online processer such as PayPal, WorldPay or Google Checkout. Though these can have their own refund systems, they aren't as strong as the legal protection of Section 75.

There have also been recent cases where people buying goods on Amazon through other suppliers, have been turned down for Section 75 claims by credit card companies. Much opinion is these SHOULD be covered by section 75, but it may be a fight to make it happen.

The other is buying through a Travel Agent, where it is simply directing you to get a flight from an airline or package holiday from a Tour Operator. You should have ATOL protection for package holidays anyway (see Cheap Package Holidays) but flights don’t usually have protection elsewhere. If you're not covered elsewhere, as many travel companies act as an agent of the tour operator, a claim against your card provider could be successful, so give it a try.

When you don’t pay on the card. Credit card cheques, cash withdrawn from a credit card etc.

Pay with credit card cheques and according to the Financial Ombudsman Section 75 doesn’t apply as it’s an indirect form of payment.

It’s also worth pointing out, that if you withdraw cash on the card, a bad thing to do anyway as you’ll pay interest even if you clear the card in full, then the protection doesn’t apply for things you buy with the cash.

One other point to make is the purchase of gift vouchers on a credit card may be counted as a cash payment, and while this would get Section 75 protection, you may be charged interest from the purchase date. Check your card's terms and pay of the card sooner if this applies to you.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sho...your-purchases

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    In my experience the escrow service don't work that well on pppay. 24 hours after the buyer has received the item the seller is able to get their money irrespective of it the buyer is happy or not
    That cannot be right. If the buyer rejects the goods, and notifies PPPay of that fact, within 24 hours of receipt and PPPay releases the money to the seller then they are in breach of their own T&Cs - and therefore must be liable for the monies.

Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent, United Kingdom
    View jane6905's Feedback (+195)
    All-About jane6905
    View jane6905's Listings
    Forum Posts

haven't pppay.com got escrow? am sure they do, in which case you can have them hold the payment until you recieve your item! and only once you are totally happy and have told them so then the money is released...

I love using pppay, been a very easy pain free tool for me, but then I don't want every penny out into a bank account, I am more than happy to store it in there and spend it willingly on here! :-)

janey x

Thread Information