eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Want to leave ebay HAD ENOUGH!

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arms87 View Post
    That's all business and not in my house lol I had an ebay business account for moving that, the tshirts, jewellerly and adult items are new sealed unused and there to be sold. I'm not a registered business yet, but I would one day like to be. I'm using profits and experience gained here to achieve the goal of having something I can live off completely, I'm nowhere near making enough money this early on to be registered as a business, though I am keeping books just incase I grow unexpectedly and need all available info, it's also useful for plotting growth.
    It doesn't matter whether you are making a profit or not. As you are buying items to resell you are a business and should inform the Tax office. Under UK law you must also indicate that you are a business on eBid and not register on here as an "Individual".
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

View arms87's Feedback (+321)
    All-About arms87
    View arms87's Listings
    Forum Posts

This is all news to me, I was told I had to make a threshold turnover before bothering anyone with my minor trading. I'll look right into this..

In the UK you don't need a business licence or any form of registration to set up a business. Your only obligation is to inform your tax office if you begin trading.
    This means that a warehouse won't ask for any documents from you, other than references from other businesses from whom you buy.
    Is the info I found.

That worried me then. Knowingly breaking the law is one thing but going to jail for something I didn't know was an offence..!

The reality is every other person is a business if they buy to sell; carbooters, doing shopping for others, ebid/ebay etc everyone is a consumer and many people go on to sell these items.

As I am gradually selling more and it is becoming regular I will be contacting the tax man in the morning, if I make money they take a cut if I don't they can't tax.
    Last edited by arms87; 22nd December 2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: additional content

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Business sellers also have certain obligations in terms of gaurantees,returns etc that 'private' sellers do not.They also by law have to declare they are a business,so that the buyer can see that they have certain rights and protection under consumer law that the seller cannot ignore or break.Business sellers have to spend money refunding and complying with their obligations which the so called private seller does not.
    I don't think anyone gets that excited about someone selling a few items but those sellers with hundreds of items are breaking the law in some instances,pure and simple.
    Ebay in my view went some of the way to level the playing field by making such sellers register and declare they are a business as required by UK law..
    Ebid haven't presumably they feel they don't have to,or they simply don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by remotepleasure View Post
    i have had enough of eBay and PayPal honestly but it seems like many other people have learnt to live with them and tolerate them for the longest time already

hope to see more alternatives in the future... let wait and see.
    People can buy and sell wherever they want, it is their choice

.. I choose eBid. am very happy here and don't need alternatives.
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Lurker
    Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    View happyhammers2010's Feedback (+76)
    All-About happyhammers2010
    View happyhammers2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    For UK sales some banks will offer free banking of cheques up to a certain amount.Paypal is a rip off,for something that requires no physical effort they charge a hell of a lot of money.
    Well said, so many people sing the praises of paypal but I found them a law unto themselves, they hold money for no valid reason other than to increase their profits by earning interest on our hard earned cash. I refuse to make money for the fat cats who make the rules up as they go along at the expense of Joe Public. I know that they are in business to make money but inho they make too much money out of those who need it more. Nothing short of highway robbery

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

I find Paypals charges quite reasonable.

Try sending some money overseas via a bank or Western Union.

The fact that you can send money to someone anywhere in the world within a few minutes is to me amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by happyhammers2010 View Post
    Well said, so many people sing the praises of paypal but I found them a law unto themselves, they hold money for no valid reason other than to increase their profits by earning interest on our hard earned cash. I refuse to make money for the fat cats who make the rules up as they go along at the expense of Joe Public. I know that they are in business to make money but inho they make too much money out of those who need it more. Nothing short of highway robbery
    I take it you dont have a bank account either in that case?

View arms87's Feedback (+321)
    All-About arms87
    View arms87's Listings
    Forum Posts

Financial businesses like banks and paypal do make too much money off their customers, all they do is handle money and keep it safe for us, they don't earn their charges for moving money, they should be content with their ability to gamble our money in stocks for their own profit, but the world is a greedy place and what are we gunna do about it?

Quote Originally Posted by happyhammers2010 View Post
    In highway robbery one has no satisfactory alternative. Whereas Paypal are not forcing you to use their service. Big difference.

I dislike Paypal's high charges, and feeBay's too, but I don't cut my nose off to spite my face. I use such services when I believe that I'll make extra sales or higher value sales than without them. What I strongly dislike about Paypal is not so much their fees as the horror stories when they decide to freeze your account or arbitrate a dispute without recourse. Of course many people use Paypal for years and never run into this, but for those who do, it can be a nightmare. Paypal ought to be regulated in the UK the same way as any conventional bank.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

@Arms87

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now.
    Do we want banks that just look after our money and do homeloans etc. and charge high fees.
    Or do we want banks that gamble our money on the markets and do "merchant banking" and make millions on each deal and cause bubbles, and crashes etc and need bailouts ?

I'm with the first option.
    Split the banks up into BANKS and finance companies.
    But if we do go for the first option, then we need to pay the fees so that they can pay their rent and staff.

As regards Paypal, yes those horror stories we read of worry me, but I have not heard of many lately, and I think it only applies if you have a huge amount of sales in s short space of time.

Thread Information