Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Changes to paypal for the US in November The infection spreads

From auctionbytes

PayPal spent the week reminding sellers and off-eBay merchants about its new policy regarding buyer claims through an email campaign. eBay also reminded sellers that Buyer Protection cases would count as part of their performance standards beginning this month. Neither policy has been greeted favorably by marketplace sellers or online merchants - said one reader, "the days where PayPal was good for your site / bad if you sold on eBay are over - now you are stuck with potentially bad policy regardless where the item was sold."

Just wondered if people that still sell over there thought it would affect them, or if they had just opened a second paypal account, or if they were going to stop offering it as a payment option?

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hotandvintage View Post
    From auctionbytes

PayPal spent the week reminding sellers and off-eBay merchants about its new policy regarding buyer claims through an email campaign. eBay also reminded sellers that Buyer Protection cases would count as part of their performance standards beginning this month. Neither policy has been greeted favorably by marketplace sellers or online merchants - said one reader, "the days where PayPal was good for your site / bad if you sold on eBay are over - now you are stuck with potentially bad policy regardless where the item was sold."

Just wondered if people that still sell over there thought it would affect them, or if they had just opened a second paypal account, or if they were going to stop offering it as a payment option?

Not sure why you are worried how it will affect eBay sellers. Shouldn't you be more worried how it will affect sellers on here

PayPal was also busy this month, sending emails to merchants and services that offer PayPal on their own websites. The letter stated in part, "As of 11/01/10, your customers who pay with PayPal are protected for items they receive that are "significantly not as described". This means that you may be liable for the cost including the original shipping charges should they file a claim."
    Last edited by TonyBridger; 23rd October 2010 at 06:11 PM.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

We are both in the UK so it is already here for us, as we were the test subjects, to see this makes enough mess before dumping it on everyone. This is for those in the US, as it starts for them november first.

But you are right it could be messy on here also, but it will hurt those that still sell on both a lot more if they use the same paypal for both accounts. And a lot of sellers on here do.

Forum Diehard
    View JimmyCee's Feedback (+85)
    All-About JimmyCee
    View JimmyCee's Listings
    Forum Posts

PayPal was also busy this month, sending emails to merchants and services that offer PayPal on their own websites. The letter stated in part, "As of 11/01/10, your customers who pay with PayPal are protected for items they receive that are "significantly not as described". This means that you may be liable for the cost including the original shipping charges should they file a claim.
    I'm sorry but I fail to see any significant problems with this new policy.
    Am I missing something?
    I have been using pay pal on our web site for over 2 years and after using their shopping cart, and the rest of their services I find
    an exceptional value in their offerings.
    I describe my items as they are, if any of my customers have a problem with an item they purchase from us
    it will be corrected unconditionally...
    In other words my customers don't need Pay Pal's offer of satisfaction

View terry5732's Feedback (+1374)
    All-About terry5732
    View terry5732's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, you are missing something

This is a new avenue for scamming buyers to get your items free by simply claiming they are 'not as described'
    My clutter

I don't play the reserve game

Quote Originally Posted by jcjigs View Post
    I'm sorry but I fail to see any significant problems with this new policy.
    Am I missing something?
    I have been using pay pal on our web site for over 2 years and after using their shopping cart, and the rest of their services I find
    an exceptional value in their offerings.
    I describe my items as they are, if any of my customers have a problem with an item they purchase from us
    it will be corrected unconditionally...
    In other words my customers don't need Pay Pal's offer of satisfaction
    Have you ever been caught in one of the scams that are rampant at the moment on PayPal?

I haven't either, but my friend has now had her account frozen because a lady says she never recieved her goods. Doesn't matter that it was free shipping--and that the post office tracking says that it was delivered--that the lady had signed for it.
    In checking out the ladies feeback she had filed at least 5 of those claims in the last 6 months. That didn't seem to matter either.

PayPal works great untillllllllllllllll.

Quote Originally Posted by terry5732 View Post
    Yes, you are missing something

This is a new avenue for scamming buyers to get your items free by simply claiming they are 'not as described'
    Buyer will have to return item to seller with tracking, just as it is over there, to prove 'not as described'. Nothing has changed except paypal is expanding their policies to all venues that sellers use.

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    Have you ever been caught in one of the scams that are rampant at the moment on PayPal?

I haven't either, but my friend has now had her account frozen because a lady says she never recieved her goods. Doesn't matter that it was free shipping--and that the post office tracking says that it was delivered--that the lady had signed for it.
    In checking out the ladies feeback she had filed at least 5 of those claims in the last 6 months. That didn't seem to matter either.

PayPal works great untillllllllllllllll.
    If package had tracking, your friend needs to contact paypal with tracking info. I always put my tracking info on paypal's transaction page. Makes things so much easier when there is a dispute that package was not delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by florida33549 View Post
    Buyer will have to return item to seller with tracking, just as it is over there, to prove 'not as described'. Nothing has changed except paypal is expanding their policies to all venues that sellers use.
    If you didn't get your item (?????) how do you return it?

Quote Originally Posted by dardonboi View Post
    If you didn't get your item (?????) how do you return it?
    This is discussing an item bought that has something wrong with it, or different from described/pictured. You must return it to seller and then they must refund your money. This has been around a while I think.

Other problems could include not getting your item, in that case you can't return it for a refund but must file for nonreceipt.

For those worried about the kind of situation that fleebay and PP had set up, linking your fleebay feedback on the site to your PP account i.e. causing holds on funds based on the feedback etc., remember that other sites do NOT allow fleebay/PP to access their sites, look around, have access to data etc. That would be crazy. What owner would allow that? They only have certain parameters to operate in and must stay within those. i.e. can't check out your ebid feedback, decide it is not high enough, and then put a hold on your PP account.

Remember we talked about this and other issues a while back when fleebay had some new rules about holds on funds in new or accounts on fleebay that are not used for a while. If a seller left for a year and then went back there, they might hold your PP funds as you are considered a high risk seller. So best to have a separate account for your website/ebid. if you don't plan to return there, it makes no difference. But who knows, fleebay rule #3999 or whatever might have changed already!!

Thread Information