Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In defence of RUN UNTIL SOLD

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default In defence of RUN UNTIL SOLD

I said on a recent thread that I'd blog about RUS. Finally got it done (and too lazy to fight with the forum search flabbyware* to find the original thread).

Anyway, it's here if anyone's interested. http://ebidwidgets.tumblr.com/post/1...spawn-of-satan

*software sounds too nice, this stuff's definitely flabby!

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

Read your blog and found it very interesting, Kim. I agree that there is a place for RUS in certain circumstances. As for me, I prefer regular auction formatting...to each his own, eh?!!

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iwiw60 View Post
    Read your blog and found it very interesting, Kim. I agree that there is a place for RUS in certain circumstances. As for me, I prefer regular auction formatting...to each his own, eh?!!
    Sure, it doesn't suit every listing or every seller and there are good reasons for *not* using it in some circs. I just find it odd that people get so excited about wanting it removed, when it's a perfectly harmless little beasty. Somebody had to stick up for it!

View iwiw60's Feedback (+761)
    All-About iwiw60
    View iwiw60's Listings
    Forum Posts

when it's a perfectly harmless little beasty
    LOL! I like your analogy!

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Sure, it doesn't suit every listing or every seller and there are good reasons for *not* using it in some circs. I just find it odd that people get so excited about wanting it removed, when it's a perfectly harmless little beasty. Somebody had to stick up for it!
    Thank Heavens we can agree to disagree. If RUS is used as intended it is a wonderful tool for us. Unfortunately it is not used as intended in lots and lots of stores. Anytime you see a store that has not been visited in 3 months or longer and everthing is RUS you know the chances that store has an absentee owner and should be avoided like the plague. Pesonal opinion.

Just read it - very nicely put. I use the RUS pretty much as you've described - for selected items where I already have a selection doing their turn in the timed slots, and the remainder just tick along on the RUS waiting for a buyer. In the method of lisiting, provided it is used correctly RUS is a very useful tool.
    Babz

Sewing Room Creations - for hand crafted gift ideas & doll accessories.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree RUS is a useful tool.

The question is how should sellers who abuse it be identified, and what actions should be taken?

Malcolm
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    I agree RUS is a useful tool.

The question is how should sellers who abuse it be identified, and what actions should be taken?

Malcolm
    It's not about them abusing RUS, it's about them abusing the *site*. RUS is a red herring; take it out of the discussion and you're really saying "how to stop people from abandoning their accounts". Solve the right problem, and it's much simpler and clearer to see your way. The easiest answer, in my opinion, is to have forced log-ins at regular intervals, with listings removed if users don't show. I believe eBid has already gone some way to enforcing this, which is why we're seeing improvements in the number of absentee sellers. I don't think they've gone far enough, or been tough enough yet though.

It's not about them abusing RUS, it's about them abusing the *site*. RUS is a red herring; take it out of the discussion and you're really saying "how to stop people from abandoning their accounts". Solve the right problem, and it's much simpler and clearer to see your way. The easiest answer, in my opinion, is to have forced log-ins at regular intervals, with listings removed if users don't show. I believe eBid has already gone some way to enforcing this, which is why we're seeing improvements in the number of absentee sellers. I don't think they've gone far enough, or been tough enough yet though.
    Totally agree. Hopefully ebid admin will handle this problem quickly. Too many new buyers coming to site, then after purchasing item, never hearing from seller. Word spreads quickly of these situations and buyers will not come back.

You are right Kim that it is about people abusing the site. But this is the tool that allows them to use it and abuse it. I visited at least 5 stores that had not had not been visited or 30 days and a couple more that had not had activity for at least 3 months. They have things I would consider for purchase but I will not purchase from a seller that has not visite the site in the past week. That is a personal preference. I don't think they have to visit every day because we all do have another life outside eBid, but they do have to be a little bit vigilant.

Thread Information