Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: International postage - new category

Question International postage - new category

When an item is listed it is clearly better for eBid and for the seller to make the item available in many countries.
    The seller then has to choose the relevant international postage option from a drop down box - the options are not willing to ship abroad, unknown and then a variety of postal methods.
    In the past I have offered the goods abroad but not included a price for postage and selected unknown. In the description of the goods I then include in red that the postage relates to the UK only and that buyers from outside the UK should contact the seller for the cost of postage.
    As I sell a variety of shapes, size and weight of goods and am now approaching the 1,000 mark I haven't got time to make individual checks of shipping costs abroad for each item when only a tiny percentage of my sales are overseas.
    Having said that I have had a problem with a US buyer who hadn't read the description and assumed that it would be free post even though the cost of the item was only £1.50p.
    From checking other forum threads I do not seem to be alone in this problem.
    Would it be possible in the international posting box to add an entry that reads - please check with seller.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

There does seem to be a serious problem with "unknown" being easily taken for "free". Some improvement is definitely required.

My view is simply change the word "unknown" to "enquire via Q&A"

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    My view is simply change the word "unknown" to "enquire via Q&A"
    I suppose it might be in the body of the text, or in a table on the seller's All About Me, so "enquire via Q&A" might be excessively specific.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    I suppose it might be in the body of the text, or in a table on the seller's All About Me, so "enquire via Q&A" might be excessively specific.
    OK, simply change "unknown" to "see description" as I presume that the listing will either have a table or wording that ask the buyer to enquire via Q&A etc

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    OK, simply change "unknown" to "see description" as I presume that the listing will either have a table or wording that ask the buyer to enquire via Q&A etc
    Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. But I always give real prices, so as long as it doesn't make matters worse I don't mind hugely about the detail.

Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of. But I always give real prices, so as long as it doesn't make matters worse I don't mind hugely about the detail.
    I too give prices, clearer wording is needed for those that don't

I already add that information in the body and I highlight it in red to make it more visible.
    Sadly as we all know some buyers don't read the whole of the description they just see what they want to see and then complain afterwards even though the information was clearly displayed.
    I always read all of the item description at least twice to make sure that all is well before I bid for anything.

However from their viewpoint I can see that it can be confusing if the postage is listed as 0.00 and unknown especially if English is not their first language.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marshland View Post
    I already add that information in the body and I highlight it in red to make it more visible.
    Sadly as we all know some buyers don't read the whole of the description they just see what they want to see and then complain afterwards even though the information was clearly displayed.
    I always read all of the item description at least twice to make sure that all is well before I bid for anything.

However from their viewpoint I can see that it can be confusing if the postage is listed as 0.00 and unknown especially if English is not their first language.
    You've completely missed my point. I was saying that *because* people like you put the information in the body, Rainy's suggestion of "use Q&A" didn't work.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

My own view is that it is not good for sales to list postage as unknown or check with seller, because the buyer will simply move on to an item which is known.

For myself, I would not wait to get a response from a seller, if I am buying, I want the information now.

As a matter of course I list postage prices worldwide, europe and UK and I have created a table so I can see at a glance the whole range of prices. Search laminated ebid in the listings if you want to have a look.

Marshland says overseas sales are a tiny fraction. Mine rarely drop below 10%, mostly Europe, US and Australia.

Of course I sell books, and it is easy to weigh and check LL or PKT, but it might also be worth the effort with more awkward items.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Thread Information