Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please enable html in Q&A

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post
    The primary problem I see with the suggestion in the OP is one of spammers abusing the system and sending you links to sex drugs and what have you. Remember the question (and it's link) would sit at the bottom of your auction giving a back link to the spammer's websites until such time as eBid removed it.
    I know you're saying only the seller can answer with a link, but if it's enabled for the seller to do so, there'll be a discoverable hack for buyers to do it too, and you can be sure the spammers will be searching and testing for that hack - one problem there is that such brute-forcing to find the method, can symtomise as a DDOA attack on the site and lead to it being taken down for security reasons.

I know from running many sites, that even when you include a clear indication that all links in comments, questions, etc are "nofollow" and hyperlink disabled, you still get hordes of spammers trying to post their carp on your site hoping to squeeze some SEO juice from a completely pointless and irrelevant answer/question. I can see enabling such a feature as being a complete donkey to administer for the site, and for sellers.

What would be good however is a way to link to your auction pages directly and send that link as a reply - perhaps the facility for the seller to add the listing number with a prefix (e.g. ebid-item-xxxxx ) and that then inserts the appropriate hyperlink. In that way, control is maintained, and only on-eBid pages and items can be sent as links. Perhaps a checkbox with a drop down set of criteria that maps to the listing you want to send as an answer?

Just thinking aloud with my web-admin head on midway between my first and second coffee.
    Any feature can be abused. I get tired of "punish the innocent" as a technique to try to stop them. The spammers will always find a way to spam, but honest sellers get stymied by pointless rules. Spammers use Q&A now to try to advertise other sites or their own items, we simply report them to ebid and they get removed - that's good enough for me. I'd like active links in Q&A please.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5873)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

It would be nice to get some sort of management reply to this one.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Thread Information