eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What I don't like about eBid...

View aftech's Feedback (+493)
    All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default What I don't like about eBid...

is that the HTML editor is capped at too little characters (4000?) so I run into problem of truncated listings too often. Gazza and Mark certainly don't think ebid is only for sellers who have some simple items in stock (I hope). Sure if I sell a simple wooden photo frame or a necklace I would have more than enough characters to say all I need to say but what about...um...something a little more complicated like...um...a laptop? Buyers need to know and see all specifications, a lot of photos (5 photos are enough, thanks), and some highlighted more important specs and, of course, the condition and terms of sale. At least I look for all these when I'm buying something expensive for myself. Then the seller needs a little wiggle room to market and promote his/her listing.
    It has happened too often for me that I put all the necessary info in my listing and when I preview it I see nothing but a truncated listing and the rest of it is gone forever (it just happened again and hence this thread is born!). Then I have to type and format again and pray to all Gods known to the humanity that this time the listing goes through...a trial and error process.
    Worse than that...sometimes the listing looks fine even after submitting but after a little it gets truncated. So I'm supposed to check my listings after a couple hours and do the trial and error again??

Here's the dilemma: in the help pages it says"There is a limit of 500000 characters to a single auction description." They mean HTML Characters but THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!! I contacted ebid support months ago and they said it's "about" 4000 characters. See the difference? If not 500,000 we need at least 20,000 HTML characters. We need to be able to create an appealing listing and edit it without constantly worrying about "characters".

Sellers with simple items surely don't see the need and it looks absolutely fine to them but there are other sellers too and it's reasonable to expect ebid to accommodate everyone, isn't it?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aftech View Post
    is that the HTML editor is capped at too little characters (4000?) so I run into problem of truncated listings too often. Gazza and Mark certainly don't think ebid is only for sellers who have some simple items in stock (I hope). Sure if I sell a simple wooden photo frame or a necklace I would have more than enough characters to say all I need to say but what about...um...something a little more complicated like...um...a laptop? Buyers need to know and see all specifications, a lot of photos (5 photos are enough, thanks), and some highlighted more important specs and, of course, the condition and terms of sale. At least I look for all these when I'm buying something expensive for myself. Then the seller needs a little wiggle room to market and promote his/her listing.
    It has happened too often for me that I put all the necessary info in my listing and when I preview it I see nothing but a truncated listing and the rest of it is gone forever (it just happened again and hence this thread is born!). Then I have to type and format again and pray to all Gods known to the humanity that this time the listing goes through...a trial and error process.
    Worse than that...sometimes the listing looks fine even after submitting but after a little it gets truncated. So I'm supposed to check my listings after a couple hours and do the trial and error again??

Here's the dilemma: in the help pages it says"There is a limit of 500000 characters to a single auction description." They mean HTML Characters but THAT'S NOT TRUE!!!! I contacted ebid support months ago and they said it's "about" 4000 characters. See the difference? If not 500,000 we need at least 20,000 HTML characters. We need to be able to create an appealing listing and edit it without constantly worrying about "characters".

Sellers with simple items surely don't see the need and it looks absolutely fine to them but there are other sellers too and it's reasonable to expect ebid to accommodate everyone, isn't it?
    Well you can have five pics as a seller plus. Even more in the description if you host them elsewhere. As to the technical stuff , I've no idea.
    You need to talk to support. Not the forums.
    You will be talking to real people and not robots. They will be technically savvy and may even speak your language so to speak!

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31499)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have only the triggered the truncating limit once, and that was when I used Frontpage to generate my HTML code.
    I normally handcode my own template and that is much more economical in using characters.

I think a reason why character demand is going to increase with time is dissatisfaction with a basic presentation and the desire for a more boutique selling experience online which pampers the buyer
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why not pull your specs in using your own web space and an inline frame?

Forum Saint
    View Pink_Panther's Feedback (+177)
    All-About Pink_Panther
    View Pink_Panther's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Why not pull your specs in using your own web space and an inline frame?
    What? Attachment 20827

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    . yeah - wot Pinkie said...
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pink_Panther View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not suggesting *you* do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not suggesting *you* do it.

.. or for implying some of us (okay me) wouldn't have a clue lol...
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why not increase the HTML characters and be done with it? Like I said, not all sellers and what they sell are alike. Some sellers will say "I don't have a problem with that". Yes but others may do.

All-About aftech
    View aftech's Listings
    Forum Posts

I need to post it here. This is Website Suggestions, right?

Thread Information