Thread: expensive or cheap guitars?

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NationalSpeaker View Post
    right on. do you like paul reed smith?
    Believe I have had 2 come in within the last year, very nice. Myself I'm a drummer so it's hard for me to tell how easy they play. I know if they sound nice. I can bang out a couple tunes on the guitar, enough to keep me drummin but that's about it.
    Learned quite a bit about guitars over the last 3 years as I have been buying and selling them, wiring is fairly easy, setting a guitar up is not so hard, fret work on the other hand is a bear.

I would agree, that is probably why alot of manufactures are spending $250,000 + on P.L.E.K. machines, perfect frets every time. Have you played a P.L.E.K.ed guitar? Man they are so nice, no dead spots, no fretting out on big bends, smooth..... So do you modify cymbals? if so what are the mods you do. My drummer is always looking for new gear
    http://nationalspeaker.ebid.net/
    "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."
    J.S Bach

btw, when you get a guitar what are the sales for you like?
    "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."
    J.S Bach

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

I would agree, that is probably why alot of manufactures are spending $250,000 + on P.L.E.K. machines, perfect frets every time. Have you played a P.L.E.K.ed guitar? Man they are so nice, no dead spots, no fretting out on big bends, smooth..... So do you modify cymbals? if so what are the mods you do. My drummer is always looking for new gear
    Never played a P.L.E.K.ed guitar? Had my son's Les Paul Standard reworked, wired and set up to match Jimmy Pages and that was/still is an amazing axe to play and his Martin Acoustic is about as smooth as it gets. I'll have to check the P.L.E.K.ed set ups out.
    Indeed I modify cymbals aka repair cymbals. Basically I remove cracks/damage in a way they won't recrack. Sometimes I'll remove a crack then perform an identical (unneeded) repair/mod opposite the needed repair to make the cymbal look more symetrical but I try to remove only the damage and try to keep as much metal intact as I can and try to save the sound. I advise drummers if they are looking for something cheap and pretty go but a new Zildjian ZBT. If it's sound your after and you don't mind a hole, slot or random cutout well what I do is a tremendous value. I have 5 or 6 repaired cymbals listed now pretty much covers just about any repair you can imagine, from tonal groove cracks removed to edge cracks removed to totally destroyed cymbals requiring many cutouts (skull shaped cymbal) the cymbals I have listed now covers just about any repair/modification. I have also modified cymbals and made them into Batman Logos, Skull shapes. Phantom of the Opera masks and even a Sasquatch (BigFoot). Batman, Sasquatch, Skull and a Star cymbal along with a collage of past repairs are pictured in my current cymbal repair listing.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

btw, when you get a guitar what are the sales for you like?
    Sales for any of my items on ebid have been slow, 1 sale since September 2010. I still sell on ebay and although slower then previous years my items still sell there. I usually have the items 20% higher on ebay to cover fees and let everyone know not only I am selling here but they can buy it on ebid 20% less. For some reason they still buy the same item 20% higher on ebay.
    Slow here but with so many coming here from ebay it will build, slowly but it will build. We get to be the veteran instrument sellers on ebid I guess.

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Slow here but with so many coming here from ebay it will build, slowly but it will build. We get to be the veteran instrument sellers on ebid I guess.[/QUOTE]

As Bill Murray said in the Movie Caddyshack..."so we got that goin for us"

competition is a funny thing. We need some but not too much! I am expecting guitar sales to be fairly slow on ebid. Which is guess is ok, because it gives me alot more time to build up my store. My goal is to have ebids biggest store. I wonder how many items I will need for that? I guess I should do a bit of research about that.
    Your cymbals sound awesome, it sounds like a pretty niche market. In all my music selling days I haven't heard too much of what you do before, it's really cool
    J.S Bach

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

competition is a funny thing. We need some but not too much! I am expecting guitar sales to be fairly slow on ebid. Which is guess is ok, because it gives me alot more time to build up my store. My goal is to have ebids biggest store. I wonder how many items I will need for that? I guess I should do a bit of research about that.
    Your cymbals sound awesome, it sounds like a pretty niche market. In all my music selling days I haven't heard too much of what you do before, it's really cool
    I started it back in 2007. Back then you put cymbal repair in your search engine and it was myself and a guy in Germany who would pop up. The guy in Grmany passed on in 2005 but was an excellent cymbal smith he performed true modifications not so much repair work but rehammering relatheing to obtain different sounds. Type cymbal repair in now and you get page after page of sites. I wrote a review on ebay if you ever get a chance have a read. It's pretty much my findings, how I started and what works.
    The Saluda cymbal company had asked me to do some mods for them but they figured if I wanted to charge $15.00 per cymbal but they would send me 50 per week $5.00 should be enough. I had to turn them down, especially after listening to their cymbals. I just didn't like them or the deal.
    Good luck with your endeavor, my little music store won't grow into anything too large if I can just get on ebid where I am on ebay I would be happy. Possibly build a little mores but 20 to 40 items per week at a guitar value is good enough for me. I don't want to hire employees and packing 40 cymbals/guitars a week by yourself, partime is plenty.

Thanks for the well wishes. I actually had wondered if you were ever approached by companies but it sounds like they wanted to short-change you a bit. I would like to be packing 40 guitars a week! Oh well, slowly but surely. Looks like its only the two of us on this forum these days.......
    Any one else out there?
    J.S Bach

Forum Saint
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the well wishes. I actually had wondered if you were ever approached by companies but it sounds like they wanted to short-change you a bit. I would like to be packing 40 guitars a week! Oh well, slowly but surely. Looks like its only the two of us on this forum these days.......
    Any one else out there?
    There is a few. May believe competition is a bad thing. I try not to sell what everyone else does. I look at it this way, some will build stores such as yourself with new and interesting items, I'll take the folks who are looking for used which just can't afford the new. I come across some unique, different, vintage items from time to time so I'm happy with that. I also realize there are folks who are in need of a $3,500.00 axe and those who want a $60.00 axe. More sellers with more instruments just opens the possiblities and today I may lose a sale to you or others on ebid but you will all lose one to me as well. Without choices it's a dim auction site.

Thread Information