eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total newbie here...can anyone help with some suggestions please?

Red face Total newbie here...can anyone help with some suggestions please?

Hi all,
    I truly am a total newbie! I did so much research on auction sites and it was so clear why I wanted to do it here! That "other" site, while it gets amazing traffic, I was scared I couldn't afford the fees and face it, we don't want to do this to make someone else lots of money. When I read that they charge a fee for what YOU ship something for, I was turned off completely.
    I've been through so many forum posts here, now I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm a self-learner usually, but I've seen how helpful and knowledgeable so many are so I'm biting the bullet here and asking for you help. I'm hoping if some chime in with suggestions I'll be able to get this successful!
    First some background on my store...I'm helping some friends of my mom clear out their closets. They all have beautiful clothes, shoes, handbags. (All mostly designer label) Some is outdated so the consignment stores won't take them, and they feel they are worth more than just a tax deduction write-off. I would like to see them get into the hands of those that admire and could never afford "new".
    So, here's my issues:
    1. I have no idea how to price these...do I start with a low bid, and take the chance that some expensive items will sell at $9.99 or worse $1.99?
    2. I understand the pricing with auction and buy it now for Google purposes, but do you do this with ALL items? And how does this work with low starting bid and Buy It Now? In other words, if I start an auction at $.99 what's a good way to calculate a good buy it now price?
    3. Shipping....this is the scariest of all. Currently, I put US only and I know I'm limiting my possibilities, but I have no clue how what the "best practice" is for pricing if I add in that I'll ship anywhere.
    4. With that said, what are your suggestions for best shipping methods? USPS priority, first class, etc.? Do I weigh everything and use the option that calculates it for me?
    5. Obviously, title on the item is important...again, I see it so many ways, and would love the feedback of what you feel is working best or best practice.
    As you can see, I really am an extreme newbie and any/all help is much appreciated so I can get this going soon!

In advance, I that you for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer with your 2 cents of opinion.

Ilene

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Total newbie here...can anyone help with some suggestions please?

Hi and welcome to eBid.

To answer your questions as best I'm able:

1. I have no idea how to price these...do I start with a low bid, and take the chance that some expensive items will sell at $9.99 or worse $1.99?

There are very few bidding wars on eBid as on some other sites. Most start auctions at the lowest price they're willing to accept, as there's a good chance that will be the selling price.

2. I understand the pricing with auction and buy it now for Google purposes, but do you do this with ALL items? And how does this work with low starting bid and Buy It Now? In other words, if I start an auction at $.99 what's a good way to calculate a good buy it now price?

I use mostly BINs so not a lot of help here, I'm afraid, though on the rare occasion when I use both a starting bid and a BIN price, I usually set the BIN a bit higher, not a lot but a small amount. Obviously this varies from seller to seller.

3. Shipping....this is the scariest of all. Currently, I put US only and I know I'm limiting my possibilities, but I have no clue how what the "best practice" is for pricing if I add in that I'll ship anywhere.

I currently ship smalls (jewelry and books) internationally and use Priority Mail flat rate shipping, the small box. While it's not the cheapest method, the boxes are clean and free and you can calculate shipping costs easily, according to which size box the item will fit. Unfortunately, I don't ship larger items (as clothing) overseas at present, as the PM shipping for larger boxes is cost prohibitive.

4. With that said, what are your suggestions for best shipping methods? USPS priority, first class, etc.? Do I weigh everything and use the option that calculates it for me?

I use Priority Mail mostly, makes it easier for me and I feel safer shipping fragile items in boxes, though I do ship books Media Mail or 1st class International, using the charts on the P.O. website, I average the cost for international; while not always 100%, I'm usually pretty close to the target.

5. Obviously, title on the item is important...again, I see it so many ways, and would love the feedback of what you feel is working best or best practice.

With titles, I would suggest using those that best describe the item as well as keywords for Google shopping to pick up (if you use a BIN price). Designer names are good or type of item, e.g. Guess Plaid Miniskirt Sz. 8, or LL Bean Sleeveless Green Sundress, Sz. 12.

Again, welcome to eBid.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Hi:

Not much bidding here yet, so start your auctions at a price you are happy to receive.
    The auction may only have one bidder and you would lose out.
    Then add whatever you want for BuyNow - some add 10p and some add 25p and some £5
    ... it depends on the seller and the items.

Shipping is better dealt with our US friends.
    I am happy to sell anywhere in the world. Here I weigh the item, put in the UK shipping price, then check Royal Mail's Europe and Rest Of World prices.

Title - get as much factual information in as you can - think what people would 'google' or search for
    - leave out 'pretty' and 'charming' and other adjectives. These can go in the body of the description if you wish.

Just my opinion - others who are bigger sellers than me and from the good old U S of A will know your market better than I do.

Welcome aboard, good luck and lots of sales to you...
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi ChicBoutiqueONline

Welcome to ebid.
    You are obviously doing something well as you have far more buddy points than me already !

All I can help you with is that ebid is not yet well known for it bidding wars, and for some reason i don't think that clothing etc is a big seller on ebid (yet).

So it would pay you to start selling your items at the lowest bid you would be happy with or at a fixed price.

(Gee those other two beat me by 3 minutes)

[
    (Gee those other two beat me by 3 minutes)

.. we were all typing at the same time -and hopefully saying the same thing lol
    --Linda--
    all feedback from eBid

View bluejypsy's Feedback (+618)
    All-About bluejypsy
    View bluejypsy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChicBoutiqueOnline View Post
    Hi all,
    I truly am a total newbie! I did so much research on auction sites and it was so clear why I wanted to do it here! That "other" site, while it gets amazing traffic, I was scared I couldn't afford the fees and face it, we don't want to do this to make someone else lots of money. When I read that they charge a fee for what YOU ship something for, I was turned off completely.
    I've been through so many forum posts here, now I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm a self-learner usually, but I've seen how helpful and knowledgeable so many are so I'm biting the bullet here and asking for you help. I'm hoping if some chime in with suggestions I'll be able to get this successful!
    First some background on my store...I'm helping some friends of my mom clear out their closets. They all have beautiful clothes, shoes, handbags. (All mostly designer label) Some is outdated so the consignment stores won't take them, and they feel they are worth more than just a tax deduction write-off. I would like to see them get into the hands of those that admire and could never afford "new".
    So, here's my issues:
    As you can see, I really am an extreme newbie and any/all help is much appreciated so I can get this going soon!

In advance, I that you for taking the time to read this and hopefully answer with your 2 cents of opinion.

Ilene
    Hi and welcome.
    IMO to number
    1. Don't rely on bids. Never list an item at a price you would not be happy with as there are few bidding wars here as yet. To give the choice you could set
    your bid price just lower than you buy now price so inviting bids and giving your buyer the choice.

2. Answered above. Only set a buy now at a price you would be happy to accept.

3. Work out you postage on postal costs you + packaging + journey to postal office if you wish to add this in. Many sellers will offer a postal reduction if multiple items are purchased you can state that you will work this out once the purchases are made simply because you won't know what the cost is until you know what the purchases are. You should be able to find a web site that will show you what international charges are, I am sure someone from over the pond will send you a link.

4. Weighing works well, it wont take you long to be able to get a routine and almost be able to guess most of your rates.

5. If as you say your item is a designer label try to get that in the title. There is nothing to stop you changing at a later date if you feel you would get more traffic.
    One thing people get confused about is the free listing and no fee situation. Yes it is free listing once you have paid for seller+. It is only fee free if you don't have a thumbnail picture in the search. To have the thumbnail it will cost you 2% of any sale. Personally I prefer to pay this simply because I would not like to click on every item to view so assume no one else would either.
    I know there are plenty of help links and someone will be along soon I am sure to point you in the right direction.
    Good luck.

Special items for that special little person in your life.

Click here to visit Blue's Homemade Goodies.

View bluejypsy's Feedback (+618)
    All-About bluejypsy
    View bluejypsy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Tut, makes note to type faster huff tut .........
    Last edited by bluejypsy; 14th April 2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Special items for that special little person in your life.

Click here to visit Blue's Homemade Goodies.

View luvintage's Feedback (+468)
    All-About luvintage
    View luvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi llene,

Welcome to Ebid!

Regarding pricing, I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I price my items at the least amount I'm willing to accept for them.

I guess a good starting place, to determine pricing, is to decide what price you need to get for the item and then ask yourself would someone else pay that price.

Shipping Internationally isn't as scary as it sounds. Personally, I think you would really expand your chances of selling if you would consider it. You can ship up to 4lbs. using First Class Mail International. I've found that International buyers will pay the shipping costs if the item is something they'd really like to have.

Whether shipping here or Internationally, you can decide if you want to charge a handling fee or not. Minimal handling fees are acceptable. Excessive handling fees will kill your business.

I always use the shipping calculator and I don't charge a handling fee. But, then, I do use recycled packing materials so I can keep my costs down.

I personally prefer USPS and if I don't ship first class mail, I use parcel post if it is cheaper than Priority.

The best way to learn, is to just jump right in and get your feet wet! I think that you will find that it isn't as scary as you may imagine.

As for item titles-Descriptive words are best-that is, color, size, brand name, item(dress, blouse, purse, etc). Words like "beautiful, wonderful, lovely, etc" are descriptive but they are not key words and they won't bring you customers.

Pictures are a real boost to your sales too. A lot of people won't even look if there are no pictures.

These are just a few thoughts and I hope they help a little.

Wishing you lots and lots of sales!
    Welcome to all of our eBid shops.

If you haven't already registered on Ebid, PLEASE CLICK HERE! Registering is FAST, EASY and FREE!

http://baubles-bangles-and-beads.ebid.net/

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Now can ChicBoutiqueOnline tell us how she got so many buddy points in month ?

(he he)

Forum Newbie
    All-About kpratt10224d2n
    View kpratt10224d2n's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Ilene , I'm a Newbie too . Shipping is my concern . I'm only shipping in the Us for now . Do alot of Research .Trial and Error.
    Good Luck to You . Keep in Touch , Kristy

Thread Information