eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total newbie here...can anyone help with some suggestions please?

Default Re: Total newbie here...can anyone help with some suggestions please?

Most of your questions seem to have been answered already, but we sell quite often to people in other countries so I'll add my experience with international shipping.

First, I've checked the prices for UPS, Federal Express and USPS, and sad to say USPS is the most economical shipping method.

Packages that weigh less than 4 pounds can be shipped International First Class (the lowest-cost option).

Over that weight Priority Mail is the only option. We have to know the exact shipping weight in order to use the Calculated Shipping option on eBid. It is possible to offer both Flat Rate and Regular Priority Mail in a listing, so you can include both and let the buyer select the lowest-cost method for their particular country (it varies a lot by destination).

Insurance is another matter that may concern you. Priority Mail automatically includes up to $65 insurance, which may be a factor for higher-value items. First Class does not includes insurance, but it can be sent as Registered Mail for a value up to $400 for an additional charge of $11.50.

If you want to check these out before you start listing, you can go to the USPS website and select "Calculate Postage" from the bar on top. http://www.usps.com/

One other thing: I panicked the first time I heard about the Customs Slip for international shipping. Actually it's a piece of cake. I pick them up (free) at the Post Office and keep a supply on hand at home. Fill it out, scan it, and attach to the package. I keep the scan in case there's a delay in delivery, then I can send the unique ID number to the buyer to check with their local Customs Office. Not exactly proof of delivery (which is not available with overseas mail), but it is a proof of mailing.

GREAT stuff! Thanks so much...
    Shipping seems to be my biggest obstacle right now, you sure cleared much up for me!
    Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Now can ChicBoutiqueOnline tell us how she got so many buddy points in month ?

(he he)
    That was easy...I posted my sign up link on Facebook (hoping to get the store with enough products to list there as well). I also do website design, so I have a few client that I'm trying to sway this way from the "other" auction site. Others are hobby buyers looking for a new venue to shop. As I get larger, I'll keep posting on FB as I always get good "feedback" there!

Also, I originally posted this a short time ago and the response is amazing. I can't thank you all enough for the terrific feedback on shipping, pricing and titles. I will redo what I already have up and add new stuff accordingly. It's good to know that bidding wars aren't going on yet so it makes the BIN easier to understand. I'll be checking into the shipping for across the pond as I know it'll open a whole new market to me, and I'll be sure to post progess. It's nice to know we're all in this together - so unlike the cut-throat people over "there".
    I came on board and immediately signed up as a seller+ cuz I thought then (and now am certain) this is where my store and I belong.

Thanks all....
    Ilene

Quote Originally Posted by kpratt10224d2n View Post
    Hi Ilene , I'm a Newbie too . Shipping is my concern . I'm only shipping in the Us for now . Do alot of Research .Trial and Error.
    Good Luck to You . Keep in Touch , Kristy
    Hi Kristy,
    I grew up in Highland Park! Nice to see someone from the old neighborhood!

Forum Lurker
    View boandsusan's Feedback (+1187)
    All-About boandsusan
    View boandsusan's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi everyone, I have a problem. do I need to start a new thread or?

Hi Chic, Looks like everyone has answered your questions. The only additional suggestions I have are:

Have a BIN price on items so items are uploaded to google [I noticed a few of your listings only have bid prices].

Add delivery confirmation [DC} to your domestic packages so buyer can not claim 'undelivered' to paypal/google. You can add DC to all priority, parcel, and media packages. You can also add it to almost all first class packages/envelopes [I think the envelopes must be 3/4" thick...or something like that].

As for international shipping, I only use priority. It's expensive for the buyer but if it's small items, such as jewelry, I can combine shipping and help keep costs down that way.

Use the ebid shipping calculator on your items but be careful if package is over 12" x 12" x 12". Ebid's calculator does not operate correctly in those instances. See my forum re: this.... http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...till-not-fixed

If you do offer international listings, do not offer it on low priced items. I found that paypal's fees are much higher on international transactions.

If you ship fragile items, make sure you insure them. I'm always amazed at seller's who put in their listings, insurance optional...buyer's responsibility. It is the seller's responsibility to get item to buyer so you're really insuring yourself not the buyer. If buyer pays via PP or Google and item arrives broken, buyer can just contact PP/Google or their credit card company to get their money back. So insure fragile items for your protection.

As for clothing, put measurements in listings. So many blouses, pants, etc. may have a size tag but what the buyer really needs to know is measurements. I don't know how many items I shopped in a department store and found I don't wear the same size depending on the brand.

I hope this helps. Welcome to ebid.

Quote Originally Posted by florida33549 View Post
    Hi Chic, Looks like everyone has answered your questions. The only additional suggestions I have are:

Have a BIN price on items so items are uploaded to google [I noticed a few of your listings only have bid prices].

Add delivery confirmation [DC} to your domestic packages so buyer can not claim 'undelivered' to paypal/google. You can add DC to all priority, parcel, and media packages. You can also add it to almost all first class packages/envelopes [I think the envelopes must be 3/4" thick...or something like that].

As for international shipping, I only use priority. It's expensive for the buyer but if it's small items, such as jewelry, I can combine shipping and help keep costs down that way.

Use the ebid shipping calculator on your items but be careful if package is over 12" x 12" x 12". Ebid's calculator does not operate correctly in those instances. See my forum re: this.... http://www.ebid.net/forums/showthrea...till-not-fixed

If you do offer international listings, do not offer it on low priced items. I found that paypal's fees are much higher on international transactions.

If you ship fragile items, make sure you insure them. I'm always amazed at seller's who put in their listings, insurance optional...buyer's responsibility. It is the seller's responsibility to get item to buyer so you're really insuring yourself not the buyer. If buyer pays via PP or Google and item arrives broken, buyer can just contact PP/Google or their credit card company to get their money back. So insure fragile items for your protection.

As for clothing, put measurements in listings. So many blouses, pants, etc. may have a size tag but what the buyer really needs to know is measurements. I don't know how many items I shopped in a department store and found I don't wear the same size depending on the brand.

I hope this helps. Welcome to ebid.
    Awesome stuff here, thanks...getting to work! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
    You guys are terrific!!!

View bluejypsy's Feedback (+618)
    All-About bluejypsy
    View bluejypsy's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boandsusan View Post
    I would if I were you Susan, go ahead I am sure you will get some help.

Special items for that special little person in your life.

Click here to visit Blue's Homemade Goodies.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boandsusan View Post
    If you can't see a fix for your problem here already in forum then feel free to start a new thread !
    Oh, I nearly forgot, hi, Welcome to eBid and the Forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kpratt10224d2n View Post
    ... Do alot of Research ....
    Particularly concerning the rules about email addresses in listings!

Thread Information