Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

You've absolutely hit the nail on the head Julie.
    Ask anyone to name an online auction site and it's ebay they know.Because they have become so associated with selling online people use it as a generic term for online auctions,like Hoover for vacuum cleaner.
    BUT...... Dyson has now made heavy inroads into the vacuum market,and hoover as a term for them is slowly fading as more people are aware of Dysons.The duyson is very different,it works well and it's caught the imagination.
    I think ebid isn't exciting or different enough to do the same thing,it's still one of the group of alternatives not even the leading alternative.
    I don't have an answer,maybe a big promotion or big advertising campaign might start the ball rolling but it needs something if it's to start supplanting ebay in people minds.

Quote Originally Posted by baconsdozen View Post
    You've absolutely hit the nail on the head Julie.
    Ask anyone to name an online auction site and it's ebay they know.Because they have become so associated with selling online people use it as a generic term for online auctions,like Hoover for vacuum cleaner.
    BUT...... Dyson has now made heavy inroads into the vacuum market,and hoover as a term for them is slowly fading as more people are aware of Dysons.The duyson is very different,it works well and it's caught the imagination.
    I think ebid isn't exciting or different enough to do the same thing,it's still one of the group of alternatives not even the leading alternative.
    I don't have an answer,maybe a big promotion or big advertising campaign might start the ball rolling but it needs something if it's to start supplanting ebay in people minds.
    Thats exactly what i think, a month or so of heavy TV/radio advertising should be enough to convince people to have a look. Once they have seen whats on offer im sure more people will come over.

View Juliebabe25's Feedback (+39)
    All-About Juliebabe25
    View Juliebabe25's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Riflesports View Post
    Thats exactly what i think, a month or so of heavy TV/radio advertising should be enough to convince people to have a look. Once they have seen whats on offer im sure more people will come over.
    I don't quite agree with you, it needs constant advertising to keep a brand in people's mind.
    You would only get people who were interested in buying online in that month to look.

That is why banks and insurance companies and McDonalds etc advertise all the time.

And I don't think that ebid has the range of items needed yet.

Forum Lurker
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View hotandvintage's Feedback (+13)
    All-About hotandvintage
    View hotandvintage's Listings
    Forum Posts

I don't think ebid is trying to be, or needs to try to be an ebay rival, as the ebay most people like no longer exists, as ebay are trying to become an Amazon rival.

And please never TV advertise ebid, all that did to ebay was bring in the thickest buyers a seller has ever had to deal with.

Also ebid is advertising to the people it needs at the moment, the sellers, as it needs more of those gaps filled with product.

Forum Newbie
    View texan1000's Feedback (+3)
    All-About texan1000
    View texan1000's Listings
    Forum Posts

Angry Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

I think ebid might be great. I sold on ebay for 11 year. I'm moving to ebid. Texan1000. stamp buyers come one and all.

Forum Diehard
    View baconsdozen's Feedback (+711)
    All-About baconsdozen
    View baconsdozen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Ebids being going a lot of years and it's rise has been slow.None of the alternatives other than maybe Yahoo auctions has ever grabbed the attention of the public in the same way Ebay has.
    For ebid to expand enough to rival ebay at it's present rate means most of us will have retired or died long before it does.It needs to advertise itself not rely on its paying customers to do it,ecrater is as big and doesn';t charge a penny..

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Ebid, ecrater and Bonanza all have roughly the same amount of listings.
    Yet only one of them is free.
    So the other two must have something going for them!

But I do agree that it will be many years before the three of them have enough listings to seriously challenge ebay at the present rate of growth.
    Perhaps when ebay reaches 20% final value fees sellers will finally get the point ?
    Or if ebay keeps telling smaller sellers that they are no longer wanted ?

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    Ebid, ecrater and Bonanza all have roughly the same amount of listings.
    Yet only one of them is free.
    So the other two must have something going for them!

But I do agree that it will be many years before the three of them have enough listings to seriously challenge ebay at the present rate of growth.
    Perhaps when ebay reaches 20% final value fees sellers will finally get the point ?
    Or if ebay keeps telling smaller sellers that they are no longer wanted ?

Yes - well some sellers are prepared to pay dearly for their sales.
    Some would rather (or HAVE to) make sales - and figure it's best to be busy doing so - even if the margins are small.
    There's still a degree of certainty for sales over there, while sales here are not as certain for most.
    Some may even conclude that if they can 'hang in' over there, they can gain MORE market share when their competition falls away due to stangulation of high fees.
    But for major change - it's still the chicken and the egg thing.
    Sellers need buyers first - but buyers need a good selling range first .........

View Aluminium's Feedback (+10)
    All-About Aluminium
    View Aluminium's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs down Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    Yes - well some sellers are prepared to pay dearly for their sales.
    Some would rather (or HAVE to) make sales - and figure it's best to be busy doing so - even if the margins are small.
    There's still a degree of certainty for sales over there, while sales here are not as certain for most.
    Some may even conclude that if they can 'hang in' over there, they can gain MORE market share when their competition falls away due to stangulation of high fees.
    But for major change - it's still the chicken and the egg thing.
    Sellers need buyers first - but buyers need a good selling range first .........
    Yes, buyers need a good selling range. I have the potential to sell thousands of items on Ebid. But Ebid will not allow me to catagorize imperial measurements or metric measurements correctly. This is driving me back to ebay.

So, to answer the question - can ebid rival ebay???? No, not yet!

PS, I wish id had known this before I paid my £49.49
    Last edited by Aluminium; 8th June 2011 at 09:22 AM.
    For quality aluminium profiles visit - http://the-aluminium-store.ebid.net

Have you joined Ebid yet? If not join HERE. Its free!

All-About Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminium View Post
    Yes, buyers need a good selling range. I have the potential to sell thousands of items on Ebid. But Ebid will not allow me to catagorize imperial measurements or metric measurements correctly. This is driving me back to ebay.

So, to answer the question - can ebid rival ebay???? No, not yet!

PS, I wish id had known this before I paid my £49.49
    Have you asked for some improved categories in the Category forum ?

Thread Information