Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 149
  1. #71
    Forum Saint Gothicina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Westcliff-On-Sea, Essex, United Kingdom
    Feedback
    +350
    All About
    Gothicina
    Forum Posts
    5,071

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsGrandma View Post
    I list all my items on here and on ebay, my ebay sales are brilliant yet many items do not even get a single view on here yet they are getting up to a hundred on ebay and they are SELLING on ebay so i simply delete the listing on here soon as someone places a bid over there are still brilliant on ebay,ebid is a mere holding pen
    I have been on here for 5 months and sold nothing , not a single penny in payments yet in the past 60 days my sales on ebay have been £1222.04 now that speaks for itself.. i am not selling old tat , not selling items for 99p I sell good quality items but ebid doesn not have serious buyers visiting its site.
    I'd imaging much of the reason you are making sales on ebay & not eBid, is that many of your items are cheaper there, than they are here.
    Gothicina.

    MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

    My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

    My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

    Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13


    Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

  2. #72
    Forum Saint burgyeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Southern, New Jersey, USA
    Feedback
    +840
    All About
    burgyeb
    Forum Posts
    6,630

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsGrandma View Post
    I think there are a lot people wearing rose tinted glasses on here.. ebid is NEVER ever going to even be in the running as competition to ebay .. swallow that reality pill.....
    Yes. I have been afflicted with the condition of being "an impossibility thinker" all my life. Probably too old to change. I do admire my more sophisticated opposites, as they do seem more reality based. However, I have seen things happen after being told they never would. So I will choose to hold to the possibility that eBid can become "top eBay Alternative" as well "the Ebay Alternative". God enjoys taking the "foolish things" of this world to confound "the wise".

  3. #73
    Forum Diehard
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pinjarra, Western Australia, Australia
    Feedback
    +94
    All About
    emporiumdays
    Forum Posts
    598

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsGrandma View Post
    I think there are a lot people wearing rose tinted glasses on here.. ebid is NEVER ever going to even be in the running as competition to ebay .. swallow that reality pill guys... ebay is the 'puppies privates' when it comes to online acutions sites and that is a proven fact .. ebid it like the £ shop .

    Ebid does not advertise iteself, people are told to go out and promote their own items, in effect the people who join and pay are doing the advertising for ebid.. thats called network marketing, spreading the word ..and ..that is where its all starting to fall apart.

    To have something showing statistics comparing itself with ebay is fine but they are not factual, bragging about how many listings there are means nothing because on here you have many people who have had lsitings running for years and have not sold a thing.
    NOWHERE are there any stats relating to actual sales to sit side by side with the listings.

    Ok so sit rubbing your hands with glee when the ebay refugees come on board and pay their join up fee , welcome them aboard and then tell them to sit and wait.. sales take time on here, plug your own auction on ebids forum and the best way to make sales is to buy from each other !!!God help anyone who complains .. ive seen the comments about how boring the old hands find those people, how they ignore those posts blah blah blah ..
    The reason people are so hacked off with ebid is because they join thinking it IS a rival to ebay and find ebid is like the snoring grandpa, to lethargic, no get up and go ..newbies who are the serious sellers dont get any sales, because not enough people know about ebid and ebid wont promote ITSELF to the outside world thats is the dumbest thing any business can do.

    I list all my items on here and on ebay, my ebay sales are brilliant yet many items do not even get a single view on here yet they are getting up to a hundred on ebay and they are SELLING on ebay so i simply delete the listing on here soon as someone places a bid over there are still brilliant on ebay,ebid is a mere holding pen
    I have been on here for 5 months and sold nothing , not a single penny in payments yet in the past 60 days my sales on ebay have been £1222.04 now that speaks for itself.. i am not selling old tat , not selling items for 99p I sell good quality items but ebid doesn not have serious buyers visiting its site.

    Now I notice that suggestion ebid should be a rival for a different site etsy.. yes thats a jolly good idea and then those on here can stop deluding themselves that ebid is ever going to be as sucessful as ebay.
    The other thing to note is that IF the owners of the site fear advertising because they may not want to grow the site that fast, the site equipment couldnt handle fast growth or they wouldnt be able to handle the influx of sign ups maybe they should seriously STOP making any comparison to ebay.
    Oh and the special offer lifetime fee ..ha ha it IS like the dfs sale.. when i joined that offer was ONLY for that month hmmm 5 months later its still going on.. that makes me chuckle.Also saying there is NO fees or final value fee should be clarified as saying that applies only if you do not have a picture with your listing and of course as everyone gets told ITEMS WITHOUT A PIC DONT SELL ..

    This thread has so made me laugh today with people getting all huffy and kissing @SS but are to blind to see the truth.. talk about being brain washed .. its like the knitting circle.

    Right im offski now , wont be back to read any more of this thread, its simply just to silly for words .. just get that reality check folks and pretty damned fast.
    A very interesting post from Hellsgrandma....
    Though I agree with a lot of what you say, I do think there is an important point to make here ....

    Any change - including eBid overtaking eBay IS POSSIBLE - but only if enough members AND management WANT and BELIEVE that it can be achieved.
    The power in seeing such a reality is in 'believing'.
    If you don't believe it's possible then it will never have a chance of happening.

    But again - ONLY if there's a united effort by members AND management together.

    The reality is that every member has differing 'expectations' of what they personally want eBiid to be.
    Without clear direction (where members all perceive a clear objective), it can't work unitedly towards a single goal.


    Only management can take hold and truly 'steer' the boat.
    If all the various members want to steer, then the boat's probably not going to reach the desired destination.

    So can eBid be an eBay rival? - I think Yes - but only with clear direction from the top and with such direction being clear to all so that everyone can row in the same direction, oherwise we have to be content rowing in circles, (and of course enjoying the ride as we go!)

    One fundamental indicator that would be handy to know is:
    Will eBid always be a 'self advertising' site or is there a view to it becoming a household name like eBay?

    I don't think any member truly knows the answer to this .... Can someone say?

  4. #74
    Forum Lurker
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    Feedback
    +13
    All About
    hotandvintage
    Forum Posts
    359

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Interesting to hear someone still call ebay the top auction site, when they are basically killing off their auction format with every change, and even Donahoe has said he wants ebay to be looked at as something totally different. But I suppose there are always those that scream I want it now and blow the future.

    I suppose I understand the Grandmas point, as if they are selling auction on ebay, then they know their time on ebay is limited, and it has to be frustrating to see what you see as your best alternative seemingly trudging along and not growing as fast as you need it to.

    The answer to that is the puzzle, as I agree this is probably the best time to build growth, but it would have to be handled so carefully that I suspect you would be talking about money that is outside of most websites reach, as yes we do need buyers to come through the doors a lot more frequent but if you set up the add campaign of the century to start in the morning and every buyer in the world walked in the door later that afternoon, then in all likelihood they would look around for a bit see the gaps and walk away.

    So by that point ebid are still advertising to the right people and even ebay know that, as you can see by their numbers of free listing weekends that they are having. Ebay know they can't afford to not have the product on the shelf or probably more importantly, have the product on some other sites shelf.

    So say ebid would be happy with the growth, how would you suggest they advertise it, so that the right sellers came in first to fill those gaps and then the buyers follow just in time not to find empty shelves?

    Internet advertising would be out, as I suspect ebay would kill off that with that anti marketing thing a lot of companies use. So it basically leaves you with sponsorship, television, radio and whatever publications would suit.

    Just interested to see how people would do this, as ebay had all that money and I still think they made a mess of it.

  5. #75
    Forum Diehard
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pinjarra, Western Australia, Australia
    Feedback
    +94
    All About
    emporiumdays
    Forum Posts
    598

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by hotandvintage View Post
    .......if you set up the add campaign of the century to start in the morning and every buyer in the world walked in the door later that afternoon, then in all likelihood they would look around for a bit see the gaps and walk away......

    Like you say "if you set up the add campaign of the century to start in the morning and every buyer in the world walked in the door later that afternoon, then in all likelihood they would look around for a bit see the gaps and walk away."

    I tend to agree with this - people will probably use eBay as the 'benchmark', and by that standard find eBid lacking.

    But if - and I mean IF - eBid management really do want to take on rapid growth there's a much cheaper solution to the problem.

    Rather than outlay large amounts of advertising money, why not simply attract both Sellers and Buyers with a really good offer for advertising here on eBid.
    I'm talking here of totally free advertising for a limited time frame, say 60 or 90 days.
    Either free or irresistably cheap. This would need to be done right though.
    It would need to be so attractive that a huge volume of members join up for this period.
    They would need to feel as though they have 'nothing to lose' financially.
    In reality of course, they would have to invest 'time' to set up their listings here.
    That in itself could unfortunately be a deterrant in itself for some.


    However IF it was done, then word of mouth could be used rather than too much expensive advertising, (though a little advertising would be helpful).
    It would need to be made known well in advance to allow for prospective advertisers to prepare.

    Would 60 or 90 days of free selling be attractive enough to draw in a big crowd of sellers?
    Would the buyers follow?
    Is it even something that management would want to do? .... or is it likely to run the risk of too much short term growth, thereby possibly stressing resources too much?


    Last edited by emporiumdays; 10th June 2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: grammar correction

  6. #76
    Forum Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee, United States
    Feedback
    +480
    All About
    DZAMBO
    Forum Posts
    2,235

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Well…my men Steve…you probably can’t sleep for all about this….but that’s ok I understand…....
    In the past couple months or a year many Sellers come on eBid and many items come too…without any big advertising, without this….without that…BUT not that many buyers come in same time period…why is that…??????
    Why in God sake many Sellers come in here and find this site WITHOUT big advertising and why in God sake Buyers not come and find this site in same way like Sellers….?????
    Can anybody answer me why…???
    In the end without big advertising many Sellers come, so who can guarantee me if eBid make much more advertising and spend much more money (which we going to pay for that, because if eBay can’t advertise all around and not use own money just use sellers fees for that I think eBid can’t do that too without raising fees for everything)…who can guarantee me many buyers will come…!!!!
    AMEN……...

    P.S. In the World History of business no company ever advertise or make comercials with own money is always use Customers money with raising prices all the time......

  7. #77
    Forum Diehard
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pinjarra, Western Australia, Australia
    Feedback
    +94
    All About
    emporiumdays
    Forum Posts
    598

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    .....…who can guarantee me many buyers will come…...
    No one can guarrantee that buyers will follow (in my opinion).
    Many have said before that if you get the Sellers on board, the buyers will follow.
    So there's a good chance that'll happen - but ultimately - no guarrantees...

    Dzambo:
    ".......... not that many buyers come in same time period…why is that…??????
    Why in God sake many Sellers come in here and find this site WITHOUT big advertising and why in God sake Buyers not come and find this site in same way like Sellers….?????
    Can anybody answer me why…???......"

    Now that's a good question Dzambo - a very good question .....
    Last edited by emporiumdays; 10th June 2011 at 07:49 AM.

  8. #78
    Forum Saint Juliebabe25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
    Feedback
    +39
    All About
    Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts
    4,647

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    @Hells Grandma

    Putting the fact that you have not sold anything here on ebid in 5 months in your About Me page is hardly going to inspire any buyers to buy from you !

    Imho - if a person has not sold anything here on ebid in 5 months, then they have to look at how they are selling, and if they area really trying to sell here.

    I am the opposite to you, I get more views on ebid than ever I did / do on ebay. And I am not on ebid's GPS!

    If you do not want to keep being screwed by ebay with increased fees, rules, and the possibility of being thrown off their site due to bad DSR's or too many sales, or not enough sales, then you needed to support sites like ebid.

    We all realise that ebid is nowhere near ebay, none of us have ever said that.
    But many of us believe that ebid is the best alt site in terms of layout and features - eg of the top 3 alt sites it is the only one with auction facility.

  9. #79
    Forum Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Feedback
    +443
    All About
    HellsGrandma
    Forum Posts
    122

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by Juliebabe25 View Post
    @Hells Grandma

    Putting the fact that you have not sold anything here on ebid in 5 months in your About Me page is hardly going to inspire any buyers to buy from you !

    Imho - if a person has not sold anything here on ebid in 5 months, then they have to look at how they are selling, and if they area really trying to sell here.

    I am the opposite to you, I get more views on ebid than ever I did / do on ebay. And I am not on ebid's GPS!

    If you do not want to keep being screwed by ebay with increased fees, rules, and the possibility of being thrown off their site due to bad DSR's or too many sales, or not enough sales, then you needed to support sites like ebid.

    We all realise that ebid is nowhere near ebay, none of us have ever said that.
    But many of us believe that ebid is the best alt site in terms of layout and features - eg of the top 3 alt sites it is the only one with auction facility.
    Oh deary me .. you are devoted to ebid and do not like a single word said againt it that is clear but the fact remains that I and MANY MANY others come here because of the hype about it being like ebay and it is NOTHING like ebay at all so should not be compared with it to lure sellers to sign up.
    Ebid lacks buyers plain and simple and that is why people list here then leave.
    I have said I see ebid as nothing more than a holding pen because it has no buyers.. well okay a few but not on the level it needs to be viable to people who want to sell more than the odd few items.What is on my 'about me' page doesnt matter because you have next to no buyers to read it.

    As to my not having sold on here in 5 months .. get real deary .. some folks have not sold on here for donkeys years .. its ebid itself NOT HAVING ENOUGH BUYERS that is the problem...is that clear enough.
    All the snide remarks from long timers about it being free to list so not selling doesnt matter is ridiculous those who say it have absolutely no understanding of business.
    There is no such thing as a free lunch or free carrier bag both are sweeteners.. the free lunch is to gain someones business and is a business expense offset against the custom and revenue the person lunching will bring... the free carrier bag part is so people will buy from that store, if the free carrier is not any good people discard it. BUT ebids offer of free listing does not bring in sales so its not free..there is nothing to offset the outgoing against ..well if you want to wait years and years to recoup it yes it will . if you go out for the free lunch and only get the taster then you dont invest more.. if the shop offering the free carrier bag doesnt offer anything to warrant the free bag in return you dont shop there again.

    Its time ebid took a very serious look at itsself and worked out how to ettract BUYERS.. what seller who doesnt sell and can see no viable influx of buyers is going to promote this site... what does ebid want them to promote to others ..hey come and join up, pay the lifetime fee but dont expect to sell much if anything at all in the first months, years.

    I sell on ebay .. yes they charge fees but the sales are there also and as any business knows you temper your incoming to be inline with your outgoings. .. no one that rents premises would not expect rent rises, council tax rises . my account on ebay is not in danger, why should it be, I can afford the fees, my dsr rating is good and i have a very high compliance rating,of course many jump ship to be on here because they have been banned, restricted or removed from ebay that much can easily be read on ebay forums.

    I also use my own websites but i will not promote ebid as a vialble alternative until it shows it is one and at present it is not.. its the site owners who need to be sorting their own advertising out ..in effect its not my problem its theirs which is why i can put what i have done on my about me page.

    Keep wearing your pretty rose tinted spectacles.. i applaud you for your devotion even if it is misplaced...YOU may NEED to support places like ebid but i do not .. my support goes to places that show business accumen and ebid is in serious danger of getting over taken and left floundering in the water being an also ran that dithered when the time was right to make a move.

    Now play nicely boys and girls and dont forget to masage one anothers ego and buy from each other to prove ebid is real !!!If that fails try stepping away from your keyboard and venture into the outside world, yeah its big and scarey but it may help to show you what real life is all about.

    ~Ghurka~

  10. #80
    Forum Saint Juliebabe25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
    Feedback
    +39
    All About
    Juliebabe25
    Forum Posts
    4,647

    Default Re: eBid Could Be An eBay Rival

    Quote Originally Posted by HellsGrandma View Post
    Right im offski now , won't be back to read any more of this thread, its simply just to silly for words ..
    Looks like you came back !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •