154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would like an optional choice of MAKE AN OFFER

117 75.97%
  • No I would not like an optional choice of MAKE AN OFFER

20 12.99%
  • I don't care either way.

17 11.04%
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Would you like a MAKE AN OFFER option?

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Would you like a MAKE AN OFFER option?

Bit of a contradiction, wonder what the real story is?

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Bit of a contradiction, wonder what the real story is?
    I would hope that they are focused on it, but I hear people have been asking for it for awhile now. Well before I even joined in 2008. If the users have been asking for it that long you'd think they get the hint.

Forum Lurker
    Swansea, The Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
    View Sciworks's Feedback (+124)
    All-About Sciworks
    View Sciworks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Just thought I would remind everyone that this was agreed to be done. When, I wonder?

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, I would like to see something of separate listing type just for negotiated sales. Perhaps it could be called "Haggler's Haven" or something like that and buyers could have the option of browsing for items listed in specifically or search with a filter for such listings. When listing a seller would have to decide if they wanted to list items specifically for this type of selling. That is, they would have to choose to list as an Auction, Retail (Fixed Price) or Negotiated sale.

In many cultures negotiated selling is a tried & time honored tradition. I can't see why it wouldn't be a popular style of selling online. Of course, the tech stuff would have to be worked out, but hey, I'm sure any problems could be overcome.

Picture this:
    Seller lists with an asking price. [High]
    Buyer makes an offer. [Low]
    They go back and forth until they reach an agreeable price for both. [Somewhere in the middle]
    Everyone is Happy!

Of course, this type of selling requires a lot of communication between buyer & seller. I don't think limiting the number of offers or counter offers being made would be productive. Also a strict time limit on the duration of a listing might be counter productive as well. But it's worth thinking about I think. Maybe a poll would be in order to see if there would be any interest in something like that.

If the do they should do it as listing "option". Let's just keep it simple with a tick box JaBek1.

Why does it seem you always want to make things more complicated then they have to be?

Of course there NOT being a limit on offers or counters would be a good idea. Limits are so limiting.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theweaverboy View Post
    If the do they should do it as listing "option". Let's just keep it simple with a tick box JaBek1.

Why does it seem you always want to make things more complicated then they have to be?

Of course there NOT being a limit on offers or counters would be a good idea. Limits are so limiting.
    I'm not sure that I'm making anything overly complicated. Negotiated selling is a time honored method of selling. Good 'ol horse trading as it were. However, the arises a problem when we try to combine too many aspects of different selling formats into one hybrid format.

The "Make Offer" is inappropriate for auction style listings since each bid is actually an offer being made.

It can be said that the "Make Offer" is somewhat inappropriate in a high end retail establishment. While I'm sure that some people have tried it, I don't think it is an accepted practice to make an offer to the salesperson at Macy's or Herod's or the like. So it is quite logical, at least to me, that a place to sell by negotiation would better off with a place of its own where customers go to engage with sellers offering that type of selling rather than have individual sellers placing "OBO" signs in their virtual store windows.

However, should the site decide to institute a "Make Offer" option on fixed price listings, I hope they would have some sort of way to disable it making it impossible to make offers to sellers that have not opted to use negotiated selling in their stores.

It would be optional like a "reserve"(sticks finger down throat and makes a vomiting noise). No one is forced to used that and no one would be force to use Best/Make-offer.

So the people that would use the Make-Offer OPTION get a "special" place?

Ain't that special.

Like there own water-fountains, restrooms, and getting to sit in the back of the bus, right? Wait a minute... you're not suggesting segregation are you? Maybe we should vote on it. Looking at the poll 75% liking it I don't see them wanting to segregate those would use the option.

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theweaverboy View Post
    It would be optional like a "reserve"(sticks finger down throat and makes a vomiting noise). No one is forced to used that and no one would be force to use Best/Make-offer.

So the people that would use the Make-Offer OPTION get a "special" place?

Ain't that special.

Like there own water-fountains, restrooms, and getting to sit in the back of the bus, right? Wait a minute... you're not suggesting segregation are you? Maybe we should vote on it. Looking at the poll 75% liking it I don't see them wanting to segregate those would use the option.
    Don't see where it would be giving those wishing to buy & sell by negotiation anything more "Special" than is currently available to Auction sellers or Retail (fixed price) sellers. Since all eBid stores & listings occupy a virtual space, it would merely make it easier for buyers wishing to negotiate to be able to browse shops & sellers that are open to that type of sales. There would be no need for someone to get upset if a potential buyer made a low ball offer as those who engage in the art of haggling would welcome the game.

I don't quite understand the reference to segregation. Frankly, I would enjoy setting up a store to engage in some good 'ol fashion horse trading. It's almost as much fun as an auction. However, just like some folks prefer to be waited on when dining out instead of helping themselves to a buffet, not all want to play the game and just want to pick out what they want and are willing to pay the price on the tag.

While those responding to the poll do seem to be in favor of a "Make Offer" option, I don't believe that eBid is quite that much of a democracy. Gazza & Mark have the only real votes that count. I'm merely voicing an opinion of how I think it would be nice to have the option set up. I think it might actually be something of a draw for buyers wanting to negotiate their way into a bargain. But, as I said, these are just my opinions and it is up to the owners of eBid to decide on what is best for their business.

Forum Lurker
    View HellsGrandma's Feedback (+443)
    All-About HellsGrandma
    View HellsGrandma's Listings
    Forum Posts

I rather like the idea of a make me an offer button then again I wouldnt be offended if someone messaged me and made an offer on any items .. after all I can either say yes ..no.. or negotiate to reach a good compromise and a sale may come from it .

How about a Make me an offer I cant refuse button

The make me an offer is used on the other site and tbh at times can be a bit of a farce.. I had an item on at a very very reasonable £50 yet some joker put in an offer of £6 now maybe he missed the 3 or 4 off it ha ha, i sent a counter offer back and he didnt reply so he really DID think i would sell for £6 .. I had no hesitation in turning down such a ridiculous offer .
    Which bring in the other point.. if someone makes an offer how long is it valid for 1 day, 2 days, a week ?
    What happens if you are not online for a few days and dont see it.. does the potential buyer get the hump and think you are ignoring them ?

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HellsGrandma View Post
    I rather like the idea of a make me an offer button then again I wouldnt be offended if someone messaged me and made an offer on any items .. after all I can either say yes ..no.. or negotiate to reach a good compromise and a sale may come from it .

How about a Make me an offer I cant refuse button

The make me an offer is used on the other site and tbh at times can be a bit of a farce.. I had an item on at a very very reasonable £50 yet some joker put in an offer of £6 now maybe he missed the 3 or 4 off it ha ha, i sent a counter offer back and he didnt reply so he really DID think i would sell for £6 .. I had no hesitation in turning down such a ridiculous offer .
    Which bring in the other point.. if someone makes an offer how long is it valid for 1 day, 2 days, a week ?
    What happens if you are not online for a few days and dont see it.. does the potential buyer get the hump and think you are ignoring them ?
    I would hope that someone haggling over an item would want to stay somewhat on top of things, lest the seller sell the item to another customer. I once saw a car deal go bad because while one customer haggled another bought the car from another salesman. A real bummer for the one salesman and the customer haggling. I would probably like to see something like a 24 or 48 hour time limit on the offer & counter offer exchanges. Of course, if the listing ends or the item is sold to another buyer the negotiation would end abruptly. But if there were additional automatic re-posts left the haggling could probably be set up to continue. That's something that would need to be looked at by the tech people.

I saw an episode of "The Naked Archaeologist" where it was mentioned that a typical first offer in a haggling sales situation should be around 25% of the sellers asking price. Sounds reasonable since you figure you have to start somewhere. Seller asks high. Buyer offers low. And "we meet in the middle" as the song says.

Oh! I'm afraid I don't share your feelings about people sending an offer when no "Make Offer" option has been included. Especially if the item is listed in the auction selling format. I really don't like people trying to circumvent the bidding process. After all, you're making an offer every time you bid. And so are your fellow bidders.

Thread Information