154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I would like an optional choice of MAKE AN OFFER

117 75.97%
  • No I would not like an optional choice of MAKE AN OFFER

20 12.99%
  • I don't care either way.

17 11.04%
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Would you like a MAKE AN OFFER option?

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Would you like a MAKE AN OFFER option?

''theweaverboy''...now it is your turn....and by the way don't post any more videos...just write short and simple..........

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DZAMBO View Post
    ''Bek''...We waiting for your expertise answer….....but don't write too long.............
    Don't really think I can claim any expertise in the matter as I'm just expressing an opinion on the subject an expanding the concept a bit. Frankly, I'd probably set up one store just for haggling if there was a "Make Me An Offer" type of format available. I think it that type of format would be fun and possibly spur some enthusiasm. However, I would object to people making offers any auction or retail listings of mine.

Oh! Sorry! I do tend to get a bit verbose. Probably comes from the days when I got paid by the column inch.
    Last edited by JaBek1; 21st November 2011 at 06:35 AM.

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well...as I can see you’re real auctioneer and have licensed auction business and that is much more from most of us in here…so in my opinion you’re sort of ‘’expertise’’ in some ways…...and by the way I like to see ''make an offer'' option because some of seller's probably can sell higher priced items much more easy and right now like that seller's is ''scare'' to start or list lower price for similar like that items and like that seller's post very high selling price...but like that seller's ''dreaming'' and hopping will somebody ask for lower price...and make an offer option can achieve that....on other things make an offer is not for low priced items because it is already very low price, so if ''make an offer'' exist some seller's can chose that options and some not...I mean in only that way is not hurt anybody in here...seller's with high priced items become happy...seller's with low priced items become happy too.......

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well...as I can see you’re real auctioneer and have licensed auction business and that is much more from most of us in here…so in my opinion you’re sort of ‘’expertise’’ in some ways…...and by the way I like to see ''make an offer'' option because some of seller's probably can sell higher priced items much more easy and right now like that seller's is ''scare'' to start or list lower price for similar like that items and like that seller's post very high selling price...but like that seller's ''dreaming'' and hopping will somebody ask for lower price...and make an offer option can achieve that....on other things make an offer is not for low priced items because it is already very low price, so if ''make an offer'' exist some seller's can chose that options and some not...I mean in only that way is not hurt anybody in here...seller's with high priced items become happy...seller's with low priced items become happy too.......
    There's nothing wrong with having a "Make Offer" option provided it's up to the seller if they want to include it in their listing. Of course, in an auction every bid is an offer. The only problem with having a "Make Offer" option is that some people want to make offers even when the seller isn't interested in negotiating.

Personally, I would like to see the option to list with negotiation in mind. Seller lists an asking price. Buyer makes an offer. Seller counters. Buyer counters. And so forth until they reach a price they can both live with. Of course, with this type of selling haggling is expected. Seller builds wiggle room into his/her asking price and buyer offers low on the opening offer knowing that there is going to be give and take on each side. In many cultures, this is the primary method of selling used.

The biggest problem I see is that it takes quite a few rounds at times to reach agreement since it is not a "take it or leave it" situation. But again, if the seller doesn't want to enter into negotiations the buyer should attempt to force them to do it by making an unsolicited offer.

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…you’re right…but I use that options on eBay all the time and as any member on eBay know buyer or interested person have only 3 chances for asking lower price for particular items…and yes some buyer’s start with low offer but after I decline very fast next offer going up but not much I decline again and third final one in most cases is always satisfactory for me…and by the way I use offer only on my items which on eBay don’t exist much maybe one or two or three exactly same items out of couple hundreds thousand items in that category…and matter of fact today I sold one movie for $25.00 and selling price is $30.00 because exactly like that movie on eBay don’t sell anybody right now and buyer just try ‘’old game’’ with lower price and after I decline quickly buyer find me on $25.00 so we are both happy in the end……’’make an offer’’ is just helps most of time for my items…....

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…you’re right…but I use that options on eBay all the time and as any member on eBay know buyer or interested person have only 3 chances for asking lower price for particular items…and yes some buyer’s start with low offer but after I decline very fast next offer going up but not much I decline again and third final one in most cases is always satisfactory for me…and by the way I use offer only on my items which on eBay don’t exist much maybe one or two or three exactly same items out of couple hundreds thousand items in that category…and matter of fact today I sold one movie for $25.00 and selling price is $30.00 because exactly like that movie on eBay don’t sell anybody right now and buyer just try ‘’old game’’ with lower price and after I decline quickly buyer find me on $25.00 so we are both happy in the end……’’make an offer’’ is just helps most of time for my items…....
    If you only want $25 for an item why list it for $30? Personally, if I was a buyer that had purchased an item from you at your regular asking price, I might be somewhat put out by your selling similar items for less to someone else. I might be inclined to either quit buying from you or instead of hitting the buy button make you an offer for less which just adds to your time and effort to sell the item. As they say, "Time is money."

My point is that the use of a "Make Offer" option can be a double edged sword. I would prefer to see haggling done in an area of open gamesmanship where all involved are playing the game. Then, at least, the buyer that pays the higher price has know one to blame but themselves and their lack of negotiating skills.

Frankly, I view every listing on the bay with the "Make Offer" option as a sign that the seller wants to play the haggle game. That's probably why I'm surprised that many get upset with low ball offers. Personally, a low ball offer to me is equivalent to Sherlock Holmes saying, "Come Watson, the game is afoot."

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well...I sell ‘’only’’ for that price because I am not that much ‘’greed person’’ and that particular item is in for sale by me and in that time on whole eBay nobody selling exactly that item…and by the way I charge the buyer top of that $7.00 for shipping so in the end I end up with my ‘’target amount’’…(as I can see for some my items which I selling even after couple months or a year nobody list for sale, and I have many watchers who ‘’wait’’ if anybody list cheaper but as I can see not many will wait that long, so buyer’s pay to me most of time selling or make an offer price because you can ‘’wait’’ a years nobody will list that particular items)...Peoples not come in here to buy cheaper (I mail my buyers, tell him but not much avail) so if same people come on eBay I will ‘’charge’’ him for that…I don’t list items on eBay which many seller’s selling already in that way you can’t play ‘’your game’’…and by the way I like ‘’Sherlock’’…...

All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well...I sell ‘’only’’ for that price because I am not that much ‘’greed person’’ and that particular item is in for sale by me and in that time on whole eBay nobody selling exactly that item…and by the way I charge the buyer top of that $7.00 for shipping so in the end I end up with my ‘’target amount’’…(as I can see for some my items which I selling even after couple months or a year nobody list for sale, and I have many watchers who ‘’wait’’ if anybody list cheaper but as I can see not many will wait that long, so buyer’s pay to me most of time selling or make an offer price because you can ‘’wait’’ a years nobody will list that particular items)...Peoples not come in here to buy cheaper (I mail my buyers, tell him but not much avail) so if same people come on eBay I will ‘’charge’’ him for that…I don’t list items on eBay which many seller’s selling already in that way you can’t play ‘’your game’’…and by the way I like ‘’Sherlock’’…...
    I wasn't trying to pick on your prices, DZAMBO. I was trying to point out that the "Make Offer" option has both good & bad points. If, say, I wanted to get $25 for my item and I knew I was going to engage in a round of negotiations to make the sale, I would probably set my asking price at somewhere nearer $45 or $50 in order to give myself maneuvering room. That way if the buyer gets the item for $25 they can feel that they've beaten me up. They are happy and I've gotten what I wanted. If we settle on more than $25 but less than my asking price, the buyer still feels like they've come out ahead and I'm even more happy.

Of course, it's good to be the only one or almost the only one selling a particular item. In that case, I'd be tempted to set my price and forget the negotiation style of selling. But again, if the item was really in demand, somewhat hard to get and I was the only one with any to sell, I'd probably want to sell it at auction and let those that really want it beat each other up over the price.

I too, tend to set my prices for items offered on the bay a bit higher than I do for my eBid customers, after all, there are those fees to be paid. It really would be nice if we could draw a little bit more traffic to eBid.

Oh! I see I use the wrong version of the word "no" in my last reply. It should have been "... no one to blame..." instead of "... know one to blame."
    Last edited by JaBek1; 22nd November 2011 at 05:42 AM.

Forum Master
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well…’’Bek’’ like I write ‘’I am not greed person that much…and by the way that item or other my similar items I not put on auction style because that items only buy people from my ex-country (and that peoples not like to go much in bidding wars is just likes every year for Thanks giving in here my peoples not going late or in the any crowd all around to fight for any items...we don't use C.C card or rip-off loans, we don't spend in advance money which we don't have, we don't buy house and pull out equity money for that and buried yourself deep, if we buy house must be on 15 years loan and that mean in a most 10 years time must be paid-off simple as that...) and anyway that stuff not buying any other peoples from here or other non language countries like my ex-country…like I say people from here but from my ex-country…5,000 miles from the birth place is very hard to find item which can somebody delivered to you cheap and fast and guarantee for that item…anyway thanks for your reply ‘’Bek’’…...

View cmjewels925's Feedback (+7924)
    All-About cmjewels925
    View cmjewels925's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaBek1 View Post
    I wasn't trying to pick on your prices, DZAMBO. I was trying to point out that the "Make Offer" option has both good & bad points. If, say, I wanted to get $25 for my item and I knew I was going to engage in a round of negotiations to make the sale, I would probably set my asking price at somewhere nearer $45 or $50 in order to give myself maneuvering room. That way if the buyer gets the item for $25 they can feel that they've beaten me up. They are happy and I've gotten what I wanted. If we settle on more than $25 but less than my asking price, the buyer still feels like they've come out ahead and I'm even more happy.
    This is another situation where your 'real life' experience actually gets in the way. You would do that because you treat 'online' and 'in person' exactly the same. Most online traders and buyers don't and would use best offer in the way DZAMO (and pretty much everyone on eBay) does. You cannot haggle online in the same way you do in person; all the nuances are lost.

Your version would be disastrous for eBid. One of the criticisms levelled at the site is the number of RUS items that are priced at or above retail.

Online buyers aren't used to your version of haggling. They are used to online sellers setting a reasonable BIN price with a bit of wiggle room. Online buyers don't look at an over-inflated asking price and think, "I bet I can beat this seller down and get a bargain." they think, "this seller either hasn't got a clue or is a total chancer". Either way, they ignore the seller, their items and, if the majority were to do it, the site as a whole.

CMEJewellery For all your jewellery needs.

Beads 'n' Bobs For beads.

Charms 'n' Findings For charms and jewellery making supplies.

Thread Information