eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Note to sellers: communication... It really helps!

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Note to sellers: communication... It really helps!

Recently I saw something I needed on Ebid, for £35, and messaged the seller with a question about it.

No reply (I waited two weeks as well!) so I went ahead and bought similar on fleabay (and pricier too, not good )

Now I see that they have recent positive feedback, and from more recently than when I asked the question, but it was a legitimate question about the item, and it seems bizarre that they didnt answer. Well, they lost out on a 99% likely sale. (it was only the lack of communication that put me off completely!). I always check ebid before fleabay when looking for something that I need, and then price up between the two (I drive a hard bargain!)

More recently, I sent another seller a question about combined postage for some books that they had listed within the last month, as I was interested in several that they had listed. Needless to say, several days have elapsed and no answer.

I have no issues about waiting two or three days. People might be away, have an emergency, be ill, and so I have no problem cutting some slack. But no reply at all makes you think that they cant be too serious a seller. And thats two sellers that have lost out on very likely sales to me!

As a seller, I am aware of this, especially on ebid where you have the issue of some dump-and-run absentee sellers, and a lot of new buyers from other sites who may not be sure about the site, but having a look... Answering questions helps build buyer confidence, and show that you are a serious seller. Not answering, is a serious put-off.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Note to sellers: communication... It really helps!

Quote Originally Posted by darklisruthven View Post
    Recently I saw something I needed on Ebid, for £35, and messaged the seller with a question about it.

No reply (I waited two weeks as well!) so I went ahead and bought similar on fleabay (and pricier too, not good )

Now I see that they have recent positive feedback, and from more recently than when I asked the question, but it was a legitimate question about the item, and it seems bizarre that they didnt answer. Well, they lost out on a 99% likely sale. (it was only the lack of communication that put me off completely!). I always check ebid before fleabay when looking for something that I need, and then price up between the two (I drive a hard bargain!)

More recently, I sent another seller a question about combined postage for some books that they had listed within the last month, as I was interested in several that they had listed. Needless to say, several days have elapsed and no answer.

I have no issues about waiting two or three days. People might be away, have an emergency, be ill, and so I have no problem cutting some slack. But no reply at all makes you think that they cant be too serious a seller. And thats two sellers that have lost out on very likely sales to me!

As a seller, I am aware of this, especially on ebid where you have the issue of some dump-and-run absentee sellers, and a lot of new buyers from other sites who may not be sure about the site, but having a look... Answering questions helps build buyer confidence, and show that you are a serious seller. Not answering, is a serious put-off.

So far I have asked 10 questions from sellers on eBid and the only responses I have recieved were from sellers who were active in the forums and both responded within 24 hours.

This is an issue I have always thought needs to be taken more seriously as it hurts the site. A recent change has been made here which after 5 nudges to a question the seller risks having the listing suspended. Sorry folks I don't believe this is acceptable to buyers, especially when we are trying to build a realistic site here. If you want to sell online then your going to have to go online every now and then and take care of your shop and customers.
    Last thing we need is for visitors to wait and wait and wait and never get an answer. How many folks do you think will return to buy.
    Answer your questions in a timely fashion or get out!

Forum Master
    View darklisruthven's Feedback (+1327)
    All-About darklisruthven
    View darklisruthven's Listings
    Forum Posts

wow, only two replies out of 10 questions? Thats very scary!

I agree totally, customer service is very important, and in the case of the first seller that I mentioned, they have obviously been online since and picking up thier orders - just clearly not answering questions.

Forum Saint
    View adruml's Feedback (+1138)
    All-About adruml
    View adruml's Listings
    Forum Posts

wow, only two replies out of 10 questions? Thats very scary!

I agree totally, customer service is very important, and in the case of the first seller that I mentioned, they have obviously been online since and picking up thier orders - just clearly not answering questions.

Kind of like going to a brick and mortar to make a purchase and the clerk ignores your questions just wants to take the money.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Couldn't agree more; unless the seller is on holiday and their stores are, too, or they've had a serious mishap, I can't see why more than a day or two should elapse between question and answer.

IMHO the same holds true for buyers; no more than a day or two should elapse between purchase and payment, though I've been known to wait a bit on payment if notified by the buyer.

It all comes down to communication; as you said, good buyers and sellers communicate, poor ones don't.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    So far I have asked 10 questions from sellers on eBid and the only responses I have recieved were from sellers who were active in the forums and both responded within 24 hours.

This is an issue I have always thought needs to be taken more seriously as it hurts the site. A recent change has been made here which after 5 nudges to a question the seller risks having the listing suspended. Sorry folks I don't believe this is acceptable to buyers, especially when we are trying to build a realistic site here. If you want to sell online then your going to have to go online every now and then and take care of your shop and customers.
    Last thing we need is for visitors to wait and wait and wait and never get an answer. How many folks do you think will return to buy.
    Answer your questions in a timely fashion or get out!
    Agreed - Just my opinion.....but I also think the 5 nudge idea is a joke.

If I send someone a question and they dont answer within what I consider to be a reasonable time frame - they dont get a second chance.

I don't buy from a seller on any website without asking a question first, unless it is a seller that I've done a lot of business with and I can tell that they are actively selling.

I agree, good communication is necessary on both sides of the transaction. Sellers want to understand when and how they will be paid (if not electronically and right away) and buyers want to understand that the items are shipped.

We always reply to questions and emails, whether they are on our website, that other auction site or on here, normally within 24 hours. Not that we have had any from here but then we have only been listing here for a little while.
    Because we are a registered limited company we are usually online from 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday so pick up emails etc quite quickly. We are still getting used to how eBid works but we would never just ignore any communication sent to us. That's just not good for anyones reputation!
    Customer service is important. Get it right and customers will come back time and time again.

Think that some cant grasp that its a buyers market.

Forum Lurker
    Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
    View happyhammers2010's Feedback (+76)
    All-About happyhammers2010
    View happyhammers2010's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spacemonkeys View Post
    We always reply to questions and emails, whether they are on our website, that other auction site or on here, normally within 24 hours. Not that we have had any from here but then we have only been listing here for a little while.
    Because we are a registered limited company we are usually online from 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday so pick up emails etc quite quickly. We are still getting used to how eBid works but we would never just ignore any communication sent to us. That's just not good for anyones reputation!
    Customer service is important. Get it right and customers will come back time and time again.
    I agree we should all be making a real effort here, sales are sometimes few and far between and we should be naking every effort to encourage them

Thread Information