eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Why do I get the impression people are afraid to buy here?

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Why do I get the impression people are afraid to buy here?

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    I've wondered about this myself.....
    I like a bargain myself.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suesjools View Post
    I like a bargain myself.
    I do too. But I do get the feeling that some people can be put off by a very low price because of wondering what might be wrong with the item.
    It's a shame that happens. (and I've done it myself).
    One person offers something at a price almost too good to be true, and the prospective buyer assumes that IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, so doesn't risk buying it.

You know, I have stated this in another area, but I will reiterate it here. If we can include a "Make an offer" with our postings, and I mean auctions as well as BIN, then we would have something that others don't have. I can't recall seeing a "make offer" combined with auctions, just BIN. Now THAT would be win, win for all! Julie tells me that Gazza is working on that...

Timing is everything. We all know that Greedbay is coming out with some VERY unpopular changes soon. They raised the prices 1 year ago and I had to give up my store of 5 years, the unfair "star" system so we as sellers can't leave honest feedback for buyers, they are charging a FVF for shipping so I had to raise my rates so I didn't lose $$ on that, and now the mandatory 14 day+ returns for cash (or no returns) that will put most of us out of business because of dishonest buyers that will take advantage of that. In my mind there is no reason to stay there and lose even more $$.

I believe that if we can offer a "make offer" along with auctions AND BIN, we just may have an edge that will bring people in. BUT the timing has to be soon so we can get the buyers before the holiday push.
    “…When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth” ~ Sherlock Holmes

Great Aunt Addie's Attic - the adventure, the finds, and OH those SPIDERS!!!

Great Aunt Addie's Attic Postcards Paper & Ephemera

Great Aunt Addie's Attic Vintage Books
    Great Aunt Addie's Attic Vintage Records
    Great Aunt Addie's Attic Coins Medals Tokens
    Great Aunt Addie's Attic Odds N Ends

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well Gizmo - there's quite a few viewing this thread right now - so maybe someone else would like to add their thoughts / support for your idea .....

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Gizmo,

An integrated "Make Offer" button would be great; as well as being able to see the bids easily. You can use your "Seller Notices" area at the top of your auctions to add message inviting buyers to "make an offer". Have seen several sellers post that message.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Agree, make an offer is a good idea, as burgy says, some sellers already let it be known they accept offers via notices, in individual listings and/or on the About Me page.

Best wishes for many sales to all,

Hi Burgyeb! I actually have done that and I did get a response from a buyer. But it would be nice if it was right there, big as life, as an "official" auction / BIN option.

:-)
    “…When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth” ~ Sherlock Holmes

Wow! What a wonderful array of opinions and ideas since I last viewed this thread!

i have made a few sales here. As a matter of fact, the day I listed my first item...scrap gold lot, it paid for my lifetime seller subscription three fold.
    Unfortunately, things are SLOW, but I am still pleased with the place in general.

Years ago, when there was only the "bay", my friend used to tell me ...
    "If a million people look at your item, and don't bid..then you likely have a piece of junk"...my sell through rate was 100% for almost ten years, listing for seven days.

I have a question about "high end" items. Are you all referring to the price or the nature of the merchandise? Old or new?

I was thrilled to death to see a 'new' seller here of sterling silver antiques. Though out of my price range, it was a delightful thing for me to see as both a buyer and a seller. They were top quality pieces, well researched, and offered at a very reasonable price.

I search for my joy trinkets almost daily. Many are on my watch list, and will purchase when I get the money.....

I try my best to "DO for EBID" as ebid has done for me, also suggested by another poster.

I recommend eBid for sellers of cool old things that don't cost so much. For purposes of discussion, lets say post cards.
    A seller can afford to sell these here, where the "bay" has basically thrown them under the bus. I collect ANYTHING related to the "Palace of Electricity" in turn of the century Paris, and post cards are among the most easy to find.

I know for these sellers it takes time to list 1000 items, but to list 1000 items for free and leave them up as long as you like is a great deal!!!!!

Just FYI here is a breakdown of a recent "bay" sale.

Item sold $19.99
    Entry fee .50
    Fvf 1.90
    Shipping 6.70 (free to buyer)
    Pal Fee 1.08

What is left: $9.81......which is ok...if the item you sold was FREE to you. ....If you paid even $5 for it you are playing games with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by minervabird View Post
    Just FYI here is a breakdown of a recent "bay" sale.

Item sold $19.99
    Entry fee .50
    Fvf 1.90
    Shipping 6.70 (free to buyer)
    Pal Fee 1.08

What is left: $9.81......which is ok...if the item you sold was FREE to you. ....If you paid even $5 for it you are playing games with yourself.
    EXACTLY!...Very nasty... Thus my PCs, Maps, and collectible paper in general are here

Quote Originally Posted by minervabird View Post

I have a question about "high end" items. Are you all referring to the price or the nature of the merchandise? Old or new?
    I was wondering this myself

Thread Information