eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How about a Forum for Members only?

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How about a Forum for Members only?

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    If forums were not seen by guests then it would have an impact (IMO a large impact) on sales as internet spiders are 'guests' too

Just as an example, I have had sales simply because someone was researching something on Google which then made them come to our forums, which in turn I had posted on, which then got me a sale. This has happened to me on more than 20 known occasions when I researched where the buyer found my item/s

Well…you’re right about that ‘’rain’’…I have many buyers from similar source too…and some comes from reading threads and top of that I usually promote my items trough eBid forum too every 24 to 36 hours because in same exactly that time I already list more my new items and many new buyers come to buy from me and matter of fact today more sales for me 40 items sold in one day and I already try to catch this ‘’hole’’ and list 30 already new items today and after that I usually promote again my items on eBid thread and doing this day to day in the past 1 year or more in exactly same way list, promote, sold….but I understand for what ‘’All’’ asking is just similar but not exactly same way but is it exactly same way regular members can read some ‘’tricky’’ threads if eBid implement this way in here, as many know on eBay exist private listing for items and non members or who not log in can’t see what this person exactly sold in the past…so what ‘’All’’ asking is similar way for some of threads posting here you need to become member and log in if you like to read particular thread otherwise offline member or not member can’t read like that threads….but personally I don’t think eBay will implement something in here…for eBid is ‘’Business as usual’’…write and hope somebody will read, or ‘’hope’’ your thread not be deleted and son on….AMEN…

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adruml View Post
    Just a thought but I find it detrimental to the site for visitors/guests to view some of the threads the members have going.
    If a new member is looking for help or has a problem then it is in fact only the members that can help. No need to have guests checking out the thread.
    If we have suggestions we feel strongly about or feel there is a problem with the site why would we want to invite guests to view our problems.
    Any thoughts?
    I must admit that I've thought the same myself, especially during the earlier months after joining.
    Some of the threads that I was viewing made me wonder whether they really were good PR for eBid.

I can however appreciate the idea of 'tranparency'.

I mean if we really want to be honest, we'd have to admit that there are some members (and I include myself), who openly talk up the 'positives' of eBid even when doing so is simply optimism. The motive of course is genuine, because if members (and potential members) are encouraged to view everything as 'All Good' then that in itself can motivate others. The power in the 'seeing' is 'believing' if you know what I mean, because the believing can cause something to manifest as reality.
    However, such optimism may (at the time) be totally unrealistic and effectively somewhat of a 'distortion', though well intended.

A 'members only' chat room may be useful for 'saying it as it is' (provided members were to remain professional with their posts).
    This could mean that certain issues could be thrashed out totally honestly, without fear of the greater PR consequences (therefore 'tranparency' would really exist - between members at least).

I wouldn't have thought it would need to be a whole different forum as such, but could be 'an area' within the existing forums. There may be those who, through curiosity - go ahead and join in order to have access to such an area.

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

go ahead and join in order to have access to such an area. ( per Steve above)

Spot on Steve, this is exactly what happens, & I'm speaking from experience at a former site.

I understand where adruml is coming from & agree with the thought behind it, but unfortunately, the above statement is what happens in reality.

I too believe in the open forum, as any sensitive issues can be discussed via PM's

I also checked out the forums before joining, & regarded the "activeness" as a good sign (warts & all) luckily there weren't too many warts that I saw.

In short, a good idea, but it ultimately doesn't work sadly.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I guess the request is really to have a private forum in which members can say things they would not say in front of people who are not yet members.
    What would we say in such a forum? Complaints? Disputes? Dirty washing?
    I cannot imagine a positive purpose for such a forum.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

Forum Saint
    View Oldandintheway's Feedback (+385)
    All-About Oldandintheway
    View Oldandintheway's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well Bill, for one thing, lets not forget that some members are Buyers only, & Sellers may want to discuss the value & subsequent price of a certain object. They may want to keep that info private prior to listing. I have seen posts like that here.

There were other similar reasons for having such a forum section (I can't recall ATM) that didn't involve disputes & such like.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

The arguments in favour of a separate forum appear to consist of "let's have somewhere we can be honest, while we lie to the public to suck them in". Not part of my brief, I'm afraid. I've had disagreements here with people who insisted on the "everything is wonderful" line, and equally have reported threads that consisted of inaccurate and fantastic slagging off of the site (no point in arguing with those types, they're not interested in a discussion!) I've always maintained that accuracy and honesty are the best ways to go, then potential and new customers can make informed choices and the result is fewer upset and bitter people who've found out too late it isn't what they thought it was, or wanted.

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandintheway View Post
    Well Bill, for one thing, lets not forget that some members are Buyers only, & Sellers may want to discuss the value & subsequent price of a certain object. They may want to keep that info private prior to listing. I have seen posts like that here.

There were other similar reasons for having such a forum section (I can't recall ATM) that didn't involve disputes & such like.
    So you're suggesting sellers only? You do know there's a free seller level? All anybody who wants to read the Secret Squirrell chat has to do is sign-up. I think the forums being public is fine - I do think some people forget that they are fairly often and discuss things that I wouldn't choose to do. But then, the stuff some people consider public information never fails to astound me!

Forum Diehard
    View emporiumdays's Feedback (+94)
    All-About emporiumdays
    View emporiumdays's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    The arguments in favour of a separate forum appear to consist of "let's have somewhere we can be honest, while we lie to the public to suck them in". Not part of my brief, I'm afraid. I've had disagreements here with people who insisted on the "everything is wonderful" line, and equally have reported threads that consisted of inaccurate and fantastic slagging off of the site (no point in arguing with those types, they're not interested in a discussion!) I've always maintained that accuracy and honesty are the best ways to go, then potential and new customers can make informed choices and the result is fewer upset and bitter people who've found out too late it isn't what they thought it was, or wanted.
    Well - part of me is inclined to agree with you Kim - All in the name of 'Honesty'.

But then - I wasn't thinking of a members area being one of 'hiding the truth' from people as much as allowing for healthy debating about topics which don't affect others - like the seller's 'pricing' as mentioned by Oldandintheway.

But some of the posts that exist even now are probably not always totally 'honest'. (If you're really honest).

Forum Master
    View DZAMBO's Feedback (+480)
    All-About DZAMBO
    View DZAMBO's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hey Guys, how bout ‘’we just forget about that’’….I mean anybody who is here a little longer like member already can ‘’get it’’ how eBid works and operate…for everything…bids, best offer, official statistics from the site, bid column, promote only seller’s (we need to promote own items)-‘’don’t forget bout that’’-…checking some of seller’s ‘’after’’ he list items…need to be registered to buy items…threads will be deleted ‘’all’’ if only one thread is not ok for public reading…I mean I can go on and on and on…not point anymore…one more time for $49.49 all is up to you about selling all other stuff ‘’just forget about that’’….

P.S. Dzambo still loves you all…good sales to all you guys…I just chose realty instead of fantasy…(like always)….eBid is it good…for me…

Forum Saint
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emporiumdays View Post
    Well - part of me is inclined to agree with you Kim - All in the name of 'Honesty'.

But then - I wasn't thinking of a members area being one of 'hiding the truth' from people as much as allowing for healthy debating about topics which don't affect others - like the seller's 'pricing' as mentioned by Oldandintheway.

But some of the posts that exist even now are probably not always totally 'honest'. (If you're really honest).
    Of course they're not, I made the same point in the post you replied to. I object to the dishonesty either way: for ebid or against. If the only non-sneaky reason anyone can come up with for a separate forum is somewhere to debate prices, I don't think it floats. Just my view, of course.

Thread Information